Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help - vet says my cat is ok, but

Mikey&Simba
August 9th, 2007, 08:28 AM
after my cat urinates in litter pan, he jumps out and dashes around my apartment. Sometimes he meows. Vet said his urine ph is ok and no crystals can be found. I know something is NOT right. Any suggestions would be appreciated. btw - he is an orange tabby, 13 yrs old -
distraught in New York

Love4himies
August 9th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Is this something new that he has just started? Was any blood work done or just urine?

sugarcatmom
August 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Does he seem distressed when he does this, or could it possibly be just a frisky thing? My cat sometimes races around after pooping, I think cause he feels "lighter". :laughing:

onster
August 9th, 2007, 09:14 AM
If he's been doing this for a while and he hasn't stopped peeing in the litter pan than maybe he is just being frisky like sugar cat mom said( cats are silly sometimes). I find that once cats are in pain associated with peeing they'll stop using the litterbox pretty quick!

If you are still concerned though, and this a new behaviour and u havent changed litter or anything, go see a different vet for another opinion and peace of mind.

Love4himies
August 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Does he seem distressed when he does this, or could it possibly be just a frisky thing? My cat sometimes races around after pooping, I think cause he feels "lighter". :laughing:

Both my cats do this. It is soooo funny to watch them.

Jim Hall
August 9th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I had a cat that did that to. It was like ok i did my business like a nice cat soooo let's play!!!

SEVIIN
August 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Yeah I think that is natural. Both my cats do it also. They get very hyper after they go and my dog does it too. As soon as they poo or do something to relieve themselves they act like a bunch of nerds and bolt all over the place in "play" mode. I think your kitty is fine and if your vet thinks so too, then your cat is probably just hyper. Maybe try buying her a little laser pointer so she can burn off some energy daily, they love that. :lovestruck:

EDIT: P.S. You also live in an apartment, indoor cats will do that to burn off excess energy. It's natural that your cat will meow too, one of mine does, she runs to get her mouse and then won't shut-up for like 5 minutes until you play with her. She's not even in the same room as me while meowing either :yell:

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM
How interesting (in an informative way :) :lightbulb: all of your posts are ~ I never would have guessed that was natural behaviour in cats! Specially a thirteen year old !

Purrrrr you did the right thing with the UTI/ bladder tests but if you still feel uneasy, you need to ask yourself what would help ease your mind and then do it.

krdahmer
August 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM
All of mine get the 'crazies' after they relieve themselves... the like to take off for a quick run, either to celebrate or make sure they don't have any cling-ons I'm not sure which!

And we were concerned a while back at Fagan, he began meowing when he was about to go or going in the box, he had urine tested and everything was fine.... and he was not straining at all, and it was more of a short 'letting me know where he is' kind of meow nothing urgent like. Then I noticed a couple of the others doing this too, just short little meows... I believe they are just announcing that the bathroom area is 'occupied'... :laughing: (Because being super paranoid mom, I have watched them all do it to make sure they aren't straining and that what comes out is healthy lookin.:rolleyes: ) Even in a 6 kitty house, they like to have SOME privacy.:cat:

Mikey&Simba
August 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM
wow! never thought of it as "normal" cat behavior. He's been doing "the crazies" for awhile and sometimes he seems quite upset, and even a bit shaky, like he's in pain. I thought it could be a kidney stone. I guess, if I'm still worried, I'll get another Vet's opinion.
again, thank you, thank you and thanks :thumbs up

Dr Lee
August 9th, 2007, 12:46 PM
...if I'm still worried, I'll get another Vet's opinion.

If the veterinarian that you say seemed fine, you may want to go back to her or him. If the veterinarian also was thought that it was possible for it to be normal behavior, then she/he may wanted to have ruled out any obvious problems. With that done, the vet may not have wanted to run a lot of more expensive tests. However if the clinical signs worsen or return, then it would change any vets differential list. It might be good to have a veterinarian who is familiar with your cat and has a previous urinalysis for comparison rather than starting from scratch again....:pawprint:

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM
purrrrrr has your vet checked all blood levels or just urine? Sounds like what my girl was doing right before we had a geriatric blood panel done should always be done when they turn 12 - she had Hyperthyroidism - she was also overly playful & very active abnormally so for her based on her past history.

Take your cat in for geriatric panel ASAP