Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

peter just lays there and has bowel movement

peters human
August 9th, 2007, 03:52 AM
HI. I am Peter the dalmations human. We rescued him from a dalmation rescue. He was severly abused by his last human and the mind and spirit damage done, we will probably never know. We asked for a "teenage" dog due to the fact we had just put down our 16 yr old part lab part chow mix.
He was supposed to be 5yrs old, but we think he's a lot older. More senior just the way he walks, lays down. He is adorable. Very loving, and gentle with my granddaughter. He gets along great with our 8yr old Mixed female.
My problem is: He won't lay down on the floor or in the yard like most dogs do. He will stand, just stand there until you go in the house, or when he can get on the futon, he will lay down. Why won't he lay down and relax ?
My other problem: When he goes to bed and sleeps, he will lay on his side and just has his bowel movement!!! I wake up to a terrible odor and have to clean it up. This morning was bad. I had to wash my comforter at 5:30 am.
He won't sleep anywhere but with me, and I won't leave him outside. My dogs are spoiled, heat in winter, air conditioning in summer. If anyone has ideas, suggestions, please let me know. Vet says he's ok in health.

Love4himies
August 9th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Hi. I can't offer any advice, but I would like to say you are wonderful to rescue this poor dog who needs somebody like you to give him the live he deserves.

cheribob
August 9th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Peter,

I also rescued a dog. We also had some adjustments to make. (Not QUITE like yours). The only thing I can add is that as he becomes more comfortable with his new situation you will begin to see him relax. This could take months or even years.

He is probably afraid to let his guard down which is why he won't lay down. It could also be why he defecates in his sleep. When he is sleeping he finally relaxes & then... uh oh.

Remember with a rescue dog it is always two steps forward & one step back. Also as a percentage of his life time you have not had him very long.

Perhaps you can lay a plastic shower curtain or drop cloth or something similar over your comforter and then an old blanket over that? Or else crate train him.

krdahmer
August 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I'm not a dog person, but if he was abused, poor guy... I could see that being a trust issue, not wanting to have to go out at night for fear of not being let back in or something. Over time I imagine he will grow to trust you, and relax in his new home, for now I would check with a vet and make sure that nothing is off health wise and just keep loving him and hopefully he will come around. As for the pooping in his sleep... I imagine if its not a health issue you would need to talk to a trainer who has worked with abused animals before, they may know how you can work with him to make that stop.

Bless you for your patience and for giving this guy a loving home to recover in.... and best of luck... :pray:

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Dogs and they're bowels are fairly predictable if they are medically healthy. It would be worth your while to make sure he is voiding completely before bed. The best way to do this is by taking him for a walk for as long as it takes until he has at least one BM ~ many dogs will have two if you walk them for an hour or more.

Rescued dogs need to learn trust. That takes alot of time, self-awareness and complete consistency on your part. You need to watch what you are doing in order to tune into his "triggers". When you see them and can identify his issues (and there will be more than one) you can work on them individually and gently. You can also use your other dog to demonstrate your lovingness and trustworthiness.

I have three rescues but it's my boy ~ who has been home for only 1 1/2 years ~ sounds alot like your guy.

cpietra16
August 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Poor thing, I'm glad he's been rescued. Depending on how he lived when he was abused, it's possible that he was put in a small confined space and had no walking area and just learned to poop laying down...:o

I rescued a small dog who was on a 2 foot lead for a whole year. I'm sure she didn't want to poop in her sleeping area, but had no choice. when I got her she would eat,sleep, and poop all in one area not caring about being soiled or having poop in her dish...it's what she was use to . :cry:

peters human
August 9th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I want to thank those of you who replied to my message and to all of the good wishes to my boy. You all made me feel warm and welcome to this site. It is awesome!
On top of having lived the life peter did, we only had him about 6 weeks when my husband of 22 yrs passed suddenly at 49. He had just started his bonding and routine when he came home from work. I didn't realize that the pain I am going through, peter could be doing the same. My female is ok, but when she sees his truck come and Dad doesn't get out, she will go lay in front of his recliner. I welcome any help and advice anyone has.
Good night from Ca.

glitterless
August 9th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. It's very likely that Peter is grieving too. My grandfather, who lived with my aunt and uncle, passed away last November. My aunt's 4 cats adored him and I've noticed that 2 of the boys haven't been quite the same since Grandad died. They seem depressed, don't groom themselves, and just don't have that spark right now. And these were cats that had a pretty stable life, so I can only imagine what Peter is feeling.

Good luck with him and take care.

cheribob
August 10th, 2007, 01:05 AM
My deepest sympathy on the loss of your husband.

As mummummum reminded me, my rescue was kept out on a tether by his first owner & the owner never cleaned up after the dog. So Casey always preferred to make his bm's during a walk. Poor thing, he was so shy & insecure when I got him. He did not even know how to walk on a leash. When we met people during our walks he would hide behind me. Now he is the first one of my dogs to approach people on our walks.

Love4himies
August 10th, 2007, 06:32 AM
My sympathies to you and your family on the passing of your husband.

Longblades
August 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your recent loss, my condolences to you and your human and animal family.

Peter needs to see a Vet to rule out physiological causes of his incontinence. Even if he is able to control himself during waking hours there could be something going on, internally, that you and he need to attend to. Please rule that out before investigating behavioural problems.

My old Lab girl has fecal incontinence due to her bad back. We are not sure if it is her back itself or the medicine to control her pain that causes her incontinence. She has accidents in her waking hours too but as we are with her most of the time we, and she, are often able to anticipate a daytime BM. She will never get better so we have learned to live with tarps on the basement floor and lots of laundry to wash her bedding. Her back ailment precludes her ever joining us on the bed or chesterfield again. When she has an "oops" we just pick it up in a tissue and out it goes.

One thing that has helped is a higher fibre food and the occasional immodium to help bulk up her stools so she feels a BM coming on a little sooner. You MUST NOT self diagnose or self administer these remedies for your own dog as some are very sensitive to ingredients in the immodium. We are doing it at our VEt's direction.

Take heart, at least it is fecal incontinence. Urinary incontinence is much messier and harder to deal with.

krdahmer
August 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
:sad: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I imagine it will take your whole house, new addition included quite some time to recover.

:pray:

peters human
August 10th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone,
Today has been a "good" day so far. I am happy to tell all of you that we had "NO" accidents last night!!!!! Life is wonderful. He seems to want to interact more with our female, she always tries to get him to play, he seems more receptive.
Thank you for your condolences. I can't tell you how much they mean to my family and I. It is the hardest thing I've had to deal with, I miss him very much.
With everything thats happened, do any of you know of a remedy for tape worms? We got a new kitten for my granddaughter and yesterday.... the rice look in bowel movement.
I guess I might have to take to our vet, but the "extra" right now is tough.
Love to all of you,
Bye for now from California
Peters Human

krdahmer
August 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I would take a poo sample to the vet to make sure that it is tapeworm, they have better remedies than the pet stores do too. I always use a dose of revolution when bringing in a new pet it takes care of fleas, earmites, and worms (except tapeworm- thats a seperate pill). Usually for worm treatment the vet only needs the weight of the kitten not a full exam. And I only pay about $10 for a stool sample.

badger
August 10th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Plus if he is very young, you need advice on the dosage for both Revolution and the tape-worm meds (commonly called Drontal or some variation). I think you definitely need to get this newby a clean bill of health from the vet, it will be worth it in the long run. OTC meds don't work or work imperfectly (and are sometimes toxic), I'd stay away from those.

peters human
August 11th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Thank you again for all of the good advice!
I will make the "new" furball an appointment on Monday.
Your all right, he needs to be checked out. I did find a flea
on him, so that needs to be addressed too. He is a good kitty.

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend, tomorrow is Nascar Day, means sitting
in front of the T.V. watching the guys.

Good night from Jeff Gordon's hometown, Vallejo, Ca.
( I like Dale JR)

Peters Human

krdahmer
August 12th, 2007, 09:52 AM
In that case we love ya already!!! ;)

Love4himies
August 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone,
Today has been a "good" day so far. I am happy to tell all of you that we had "NO" accidents last night!!!!! Life is wonderful. He seems to want to interact more with our female, she always tries to get him to play, he seems more receptive.
Peters Human

That is good news! It sounds like he will come around in no time at all. You are an :angel: for what you are doing for this dog.

Take care and if you can post some pics of your furkids we would love to see them.

peters human
August 13th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Hello,
Major Depression!!!!
Dale Jr blew an engine.......
Oh well,
Peter actually played with my female today. He ran around the
yard, well, not ran, kind of lumbered along, its more than he's done.
It's funny, when he does his thing in the yard, he walks while he is,
not just squat, but move!! It was the funniest thing, but have to really
check the grass for OOPS!!!
I'm the one who usually steps in it. One of my other cats is getting really
bad. She is losing weight, eats and eats, and then upchucks. The other
cats try to push her out of the way of her food dish. We try to separate
them, to no avail. She had a bunch of tests run and waiting for the results.
I think its cancer. I will let you know.
Finally, Peter was bowel movement free again last night!!!!
I think we're making a little headway.
Good night from Vallejo, Ca
All sleep well and thanks for taking me under your wings

krdahmer
August 13th, 2007, 07:42 AM
So sorry to hear about your kitty... I hope it's nothing serious.:pray:

And glad to hear you had another poop free night. :thumbs up And it's good I think that he is coming around so well with your female.

And sucks about Dale Jr. too.... some bad luck there lately. :frustrated:

peters human
August 15th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Not too much too say tonight.
Thank you Krdahmer for your kind thoughts re Peter and my
other cat.
The newbie is doing great, he got a pill for the "rice" and seems
ok so far.
We had a poop free night again, but he's been really clingy to
everyone today, ran around and played some, it was kind of hit
and miss. Did a lot of cleaning and rearranging, maybe that
bothered him also.

Yeah, it REALLY sucks about Dale Jr!!!!!
I think he still has a chance then I started thinking what if
DEI were doing engine things on purpose???

I'd like to be on your friends list.....
see you tomorrow night

bye from Peters home

Peters Human

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 01:43 AM
:thumbs up on the poop free. Peter probably is a bit worried re furniture moving - something new & unexpected. Does he have any chewy toys? Lots of members here have the Cuz & their dogs all love them - a little something to give him something to focus on & not worry :)

http://stuff.silverorange.com/archives/2004/november/cuzdogtoyreview

glad to hear things are goin' okay otherwise & :fingerscr :goodvibes: for the sick kitty

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Thats too funny.... until you said that I had no idea we even had a buddies list in the forum! :rolleyes: :laughing: