Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Weeing Inside

talk-a-tive
August 9th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Hi everyone. Sorry this will probably be a bit long but I need to explain everything I've done. I'm having real problems toilet training my dog. When we got her we were told she was 16weeks old then found out from the vet she was about 8weeks so she is now about 5-6 months old. I have tried to toilet train her, first I used paper because she's really little and I would like to have her inside. She did ok with the paper when it was night time and she was confined in a small space but as soon as she was allowed to use the rest of the house she pooed and weed everywhere.So I tried to get her to go out of our cat flap onto the sand, I would say to her "go wees" put her out the cat flap then I would go outside and place her on the sand and say the command again and then stay there for a while to try and catch her weeing so I could reward her. I never in all the time we have had her have been able to actually catch her when she does her business, no matter how hard I try. She just poos and wees wherever she wants, on my rugs, in the kids rooms and now she's done it twice on my good lounge suite, I'm at my wits end because I really love her but I don't want to let her inside anymore because no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to stop her from going to the toilet in my house. What am I doing wrong? Please help me because I really would like her inside so she can sit on our laps and play and just so she is around us instead of being outside all the time. thanks Andrea

jessi76
August 9th, 2007, 08:03 AM
you're certainly on the right track, so don't despair... first, what type of dog do you have?

a few pointers...

1. routine is key! having a set routine really REALLY helps establish potty training rules. have a set schedule... go out ON LEASH first thing when you wake up, again before you leave for the day, again at lunch time, again when you come home, again after dinner, and again before bed. having set "potty" times will really help. be sure to go out after meals, after playtime, and after she wakes from sleep.

2. keep her on leash. if you dog is on leash you have the control. You can even go as far as to tether her to you in the house. this way she cannot sneak off and potty in the house. and if she squats, you can catch her IN THE ACT, gently correct her, and whisk her outside or onto a pee-pad to finish her business. then reward her.

3. pee pads may work well for you if she is a small dog. you can train her to only use the pad, and keep the pad in one spot of the house (much as you would a litter box for a cat). also, doggy litter boxes are available, but I've heard of more success w/ the pads vs. doggy litterboxes.

4. finally, she must EARN her freedom in the house. if she's having accidents all over, then she shouldn't be allowed to roam freely just yet. keep her confined to one area until she proves she can use a pee-pad, litterbox, or ask to go out. by all means let her be w/ the family, but if you can't supervise her well enough, keep her confined. x-pens are excellent for keeping pups contained in one area.

5. lastly, you must be consistant. be consistant in your routine, positive reinforcement, and supervision.

hope this helped a bit!

talk-a-tive
August 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM
My dog is a Chiwawa cross Silky Terrier, sounds strange I suppose but she's real cute and her name is Missy. Thanks you so much for your advice, what you've said makes so much sense, I did confine her for a while but it got really hard for me and the kids to keep stepping over the barracades that I set up but I think I will find a pen for her and put her on a leash like you said. Isn't it funny the advice you've given me is so simple but you don't think of it yourself. I will let you know how I go. Thanks Andrea