Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Perplexed by kitten's behaviour

onster
August 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I'm kind of confused about something Hazel (hes about 6 or 7 months now) does...

Basically he takes his toys (beanies, mice, socks...anything soft and that can fit in his mouth) and carries them around and meows while they are in his mouth :S. At first, since this started a while back I thought it was because he was teething but when he was neutered I was told he had all his adult teeth so I guess that's out of the question.

I will wake up to a bunch of those toys around my bed (which he collects from all over the house, basement etc). Or sometimes when i have my door closed for the night and he's not allowed in I will wake up to all his toys at my door, making me think these were pressies for me?

Then today i was watching tv downstairs and he came downstairs too, started whining, meowing..looking upstairs..meowing..didnt want to come be with me. Then finally he gets quiet, 5 mins later he's meowing again with this beanie he got from upstairs in his mouth, which he drops near me and meows some more. I really think he's trying to tell me something, but i have no idea what!!! Anyone else have a kitty who does this???

Love4himies
August 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Yup, think those are presents for you and as for his meowing, I think he wants you to play with him even if it is 2 AM. My Jasper will meow when he has a mouse in his mouth, but he doesn't bring them to me. He wants me to come after him.

Dracko
August 8th, 2007, 10:58 PM
One of my cats has always done that. Mochie will be downstairs meowing away...an odd meow...and I know she has a stuffed mouse in her mouth. She obviously is doing what comes naturally to a cat and pretending it is real.

I would LOVE to wake up to toys all over by me that my cat brought as presents. :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
August 8th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Your kitty is calling you to come & see what wonderful presents he has brought to you.

Cats will do this with real mice/birds and also w/toys - it's natural instinct

My Duffy likes to bring me presents @ 3 am :) so I thank her & tell her what a good little hunter she is & toss or hide the mouse for more hunting

glitterless
August 9th, 2007, 12:13 AM
One of my boys will swat at a toy, run over to it, stop and stare, and then meow a few times while looking right at it. I swear he talks to his toys ;)

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 12:19 AM
One of my boys will swat at a toy, run over to it, stop and stare, and then meow a few times while looking right at it. I swear he talks to his toys ;)

He says "come on mousy - move, it's more fun that way" :D

glitterless
August 9th, 2007, 12:20 AM
LOL! Yes, they're very evil aren't they? I've seen cats go after mice and other small animals and I swear they keep them half-alive for the fun of it.

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Mischief brought home a live white mouse once, just to play, she had no interest in killing or eating it. :D :evil: :D

glitterless
August 9th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I love cats, but sometimes they terrify me! One of our cats has actually tried to take on our 70 lb. dog. She jumped on his back, hissing and growling. It was quite the sight!

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 12:42 AM
:laughing: That cat knows who's the boss!

So onster as you read through the posts you will see cats have what to us sometimes seems like strange behaviours but all these are natural & okay, there are many cats who will meow & carry their toys around, it's kinda cute don'tcha think? :D

onster
August 9th, 2007, 04:25 AM
LOL, oh kitties of the world, how funny u are. My previous cat Ty who was given to us as indoor-outdoor ( never again, RIP TY) used to bring us disembowled mice/rabbits/squirrels -I'm sorry I didnt know better at the time!

Well One day when I came back from school several years ago to an out of breath and frazzled mom. What had happened was she was cooking and saw that Ty came to the back door and wanted in, so she lets him in but then noticed he had a furry in his mouth...sooo, thinking it was dead and also thinking Heck no Ty, I am NOT having a dead animal in my house, she picks him up to put him back out with his 'catch'. He got startled and opened his mouth and dropped the Live, unhurt baby bunny in the house. There began the wild bunny chase of the afternoon, with my mom running after baby bunny to let the poor thing out and Ty running after her and the baby bunny. After about half an hour of this she banished Ty to the basement, cornered the poor bunny and let the little thing out. Ty ignored her for 2 weeks.

Speaking of kitty love, it's 5am and I woke up cuz im feeling sick, coughing etc...as Im laying in bed coughing, Onnie jumps up and put his paw on my back :lovestruck: , then he climbs over me (must feed him less!!!) and nuzzles me. After much more coughing I decide I better get up and I was sitting here typing this Hazel came and sat on the chair beside me and left. a few minutes later I hear jingling and here he is with the mouse we were playing with yesterday :lovestruck: I LOVE my Kitties! and I think they love me too :goodvibes:

onster
August 9th, 2007, 04:32 AM
and yes growler, it is very cute. Especially the waking up to toys around my bed, can't help but smile! He very well could be bringing me these toys and meowing for me to play with him at night....but Im a heavy sleeper :sleepy:

hahahaha just remembered what onnie did a few weeks back. u know how cats leave their toys in their water bowls? Onnie loves doing that, especially bobbying for mice! well, I let onnie drink from the faucet once (after seeing the ever so cute photos here of kitties drinking from the faucet, hehe) and a while later i started to notice my sink was kinda plugged. Ignored it till my uncle, his wife and kids came to visit and i gave them my room. This was a few months later! So i went and got those one second plumber things but before I used it I got a long wooden skewer to see if i could 'push whatever it was down the drain..i thought hair maybe? I ended up with a shisk kababed little toy blue mouse!! lol...no more onnie drinking from the faucet!!!

glitterless
August 9th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Cute story, Onster! One of my cats is always dropping his toys in the water bowl, but he won't fish them out. Instead he sits and stares at the bowl until I notice and get it for him. Guess he doesn't want to get his paws wet ;)

bendyfoot
August 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM
An old roomie had a lovely kitty who used to do this all the time with toys and little knots of fabric we made for her...it meant...PLAY WITH ME I WANT TO PLAY FETCH!!!

Yep, fetch, I bet if you take the object and give it a little toss, you'll get a very happy kitty who will go bounding off after it. Give it a try!:D

want4rain
August 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I would LOVE to wake up to toys all over by me that my cat brought as presents. :cloud9:

as opposed to beheaded mice/birds huh?? :)

-ashley

onster
August 9th, 2007, 09:08 AM
lol, believe me bendyfoot, I believe you!! Onnie fetches! :D little bells, alll the time :) I even have videos of him bringing them back to me and dropping the bell at my feet :) Only bells though. Oddly enough once I adopted Hazel he stopped doing this...hazel doesn't fetch either. Sometimes onnie will get excited over the bell and I think he'll run for it but then hazel just runs ahead of him and pounces on it (party pooper hazel, lol). He did have a lot of fun fetching when hazel was being neutered though :)

krdahmer
August 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
All of mine do that, they are proudly announcing their 'find' to me....

And as for fetching, it's so funny here, Windy used to fetch until I got Smoke, Smoke fetched until I got Buddy, Buddy until Fagan, etc etc. Now only Asker my youngest will play fetch with her mouse and me. (Smoke does once in a blue moon, but only if everyone else is asleep...and only with my krinkly pad wrappers... :rolleyes: :laughing: Talk about embarassing!! )

Ha this is too funny, just as I'm typing this, I hear Asker coming down the hall calling me to play fetch, that weird almost mournful meow they get when they have things in their mouth! :cat: She must have 'discovered' one of her many mice.