Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat fur

macy
August 8th, 2007, 05:18 PM
My cat Zima started getting these really hard clumps of fur on her hind quarters. It looked like she might have gotten into something and rolled around in it. They are very hard and go all the way to the skin. You cannot brush them out or shave her because they are on her skin. This started last fall and winter. When she started shedding her winter coat they grew out and you could cut them off or they would fall off by themselves. They were finally all gone in May. Now here it is in August and they are coming back. She is just a normal black cat with average fur. She doesn't seem to care that they are there but she looks like she is a stray and not cared for. Any idea on what causes this?

Macy

chico2
August 8th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I dont really know why cats get matted,but regular brushing should prevent it from happening..

Dr Lee
August 8th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Now here it is in August and they are coming back... Any idea on what causes this?

Macy,

Cats normally spend a large portion of their time preening. When cats have matting that persists and/or recurs, it might be prudent to have base line blood testing done. Early metabolic and endocrine disorders can sometimes show up just as a change in hair coat. How old is your cat? If bloodwork is normal or your cat is a healthy, under 4 years old, then I would look elsewhere for the matting. Matting is just not normal. Sometimes food types / food intolerances, intestinal parasites, and environmental/emotional stresses can lead to hair coat changes. Good luck. :pawprint:

chico2
August 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Thank's Dr Lee,I did not know that.
My cat Rocky(11yrs old)has Hyperthyroidism and had a few matts a while back,but no more..he is on meds.