Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Medication

ALoushin
August 8th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I have a year old puppy. He slipped out of the car window while my boyfriend was driving. He wasnt going fast 25 mph. He has minor scrapes and a little bit of swelling on his scrapes. He also has a couple of small cuts on his left front paw, because of this he will not put pressure on that paw. I fear that he is in some sort of pain, but is not yelping at all if he does put pressure on it. I guess my question is can I give him some aspirin or something else to aleviate the pain he feels?

sugarcatmom
August 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM
How about taking him to the vet? And might I suggest a carrier or seatbelt leash for future car trips.

Frenchy
August 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
OMG ! No you canno't give this dog any medication. This dog HAS to go to a vet , asap , he could have other injuries that you don't know about !

ALoushin
August 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM
You guys are over reactive. You can give animals medication I have before and it was from a vet. I am a nurse a he doesn't have any broken bones. I was just wanting to get feed back on what type of pain reliver i should give him.

Winston
August 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I have a year old puppy. He slipped out of the car window while my boyfriend was driving. He wasnt going fast 25 mph. He has minor scrapes and a little bit of swelling on his scrapes. He also has a couple of small cuts on his left front paw, because of this he will not put pressure on that paw. I fear that he is in some sort of pain, but is not yelping at all if he does put pressure on it. I guess my question is can I give him some aspirin or something else to aleviate the pain he feels?

OMG! I am sorry but PLEASE take the puppy to the vet! It doesnt matter how fast your boyfriend was driving he could have severe underlying injuries!

If it hurts then there is something wrong? swelling is also not a good sign. Hopefully you are not reading this and already on your way to a vet????

:sad:

Frenchy
August 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM
You guys are over reactive.

:confused:

ALoushin
August 8th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Okay I have to take him to the vet tomorrow, but while I was on the phone with his vet, he said that he is more than likely fine. So I will let you know the out come of this visit.

t.pettet
August 8th, 2007, 09:52 PM
:confused: :confused:

hazelrunpack
August 8th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hmmmm...

If you had a year-old child who fell out of a car that was going 25 mph, would you take the advice of a doctor over the phone that the child was more than likely fine?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

mummummum
August 8th, 2007, 10:57 PM
"It is August" after all.

hazelrunpack
August 8th, 2007, 11:03 PM
"It is August" after all.

One hopes that's all it is :fingerscr

:rolleyes:

glitterless
August 8th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Ugh!!!!

I have had doctors miss broken bones! Come on! Any decent nurse would know that the best thing to do right now would be to OVERREACT and take this dog to a vet! Would you just pop your child an aspirin instead of getting him to a hospital if he fell out of a car window???

Before I adopted her, my dog fell out of a car window due to her previous owner's neglect and dislocated her hip. For a puppy, a fall off of a table can cause serious damage, so imagine what falling out of a moving vehicle can do.

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 12:48 AM
One hopes that's all it is :fingerscr

:rolleyes:

Bet my bones on it gal !

clm
August 9th, 2007, 06:50 AM
You guys are over reactive. You can give animals medication I have before and it was from a vet. I am a nurse a he doesn't have any broken bones. I was just wanting to get feed back on what type of pain reliver i should give him.

you want over reactive, okay. Someone with a puppy in the car doesn't have the windows down far enough for the puppy to get out or has the puppy in a carrier. duh

someone with a medical background should know that humans and dogs do not have the same tolerances to medicines and should know enough to take a puppy that has fallen out of the window of a moving car to see a vet. double duh

May I never have to depend on your nursing abilities.

Cindy

ALoushin
August 10th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Okay so we went to the vet. He had Xrays done and he does not have any broken bones. The vet said the reason he will not walk on his paw is because the scrap he has on the inside of his arm rubbs and is very uncomfortable. He also has some bruising on the bottom of his paw, that hurts when he puts pressure on it. I sm so glad to know that he is okay.:thumbs up

Frenchy
August 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I am glad you took him to the vet , better safe than sorry right ? And I hope your BF will not do this again , there are seat belts made just for dogs , they are not that expensive and you can buy them at any good pet stores.