Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy is terrified of "bell" near door!

geoffh4
August 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM
My puppy has no signs. She whines all the time, so when she is "whining to go out" it sounds like her other whines. Other times, she just walks around. Its hard to tell when she wants to go out.

So I tried to train her to ring a bell by the door if she wanted to go out. I hung 2 bells, 1 on each door, and had her tap it with her nose before we'd go out. The 2nd time we did it, she sort of flinched and her head ended up smackin the bell pretty hard. Now, she's terrified of the thing. She stiffens her legs, and I literally have to drag her and force her head to touch the bell. As soon as it rings, she runs back about 5 feet and waits until the door is completely open before daring to venture outside.

I know this is not working, as she is obviously being trained that the bell equals pain.

I tried changing the stimulus to having her paw the bell. Its much easier to move her paw into the bell as she doesnt have as much control over her legs as her head. Anyway, it hasn't had much effect. She's still scared

What should I do?

mindis12
August 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Hi how old is your pup?

geoffh4
August 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM
5 months old

Pepsi'smom
August 14th, 2007, 07:48 PM
If you want to bell to eventually work, i would get her re-acclimated to the bell. take it away from the door and use it as a source for a treat. but during a seperate time. ring it then give her a treat. lots of praise. do this repeatedtly. let her sniff the bell and when she starts to become comfortable with it, rub it on her back, under her chin. work really slowly with her and work up to it. make it a really positive experience and she may come around. My dog has an issue with the vacuum because my brother used to chase her with it. So i put it right smack in the middle of the living room, spread the attatchments all around and she's gotten better. most of all be patient. after a while if she gets used to it, try ringing it everytime you go outside so she associated the bell with the door opening. good luck!