Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

drink please down under

Jim Hall
August 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
d u's blood tests came back all ok but she was dehydrated
Does any one have any suggestions for gettinh her to drink her water ?
additives or stratigies

the doc said 5 to 6 oz of wet food a day os ok for her and iys ginna be orijen i still want her to drink water though .

Love4himies
August 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM
When my kitty was sick, my vet suggested some low sodium tuna juice added to water to give it some YUM YUM.

As an alternative, get a syringe (without the needle) and try slowly forcing small amounts water and tuna juice into her mouth while she is on your lap (if you are able to hold her without stressing her too much). They struggle at first, but like the taste so they are more accepting on the second small squirt.

sugarcatmom
August 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
You can add extra water to her canned food. Also, plain chicken baby food with lots of water so that it's more like a soup is something most cats will eagerly lap up. The juice from a can of no salt added salmon if she likes the fishy stuff always works for my guy, and you can keep topping up the can with more water and refrigerating it for a few days. Syringing water into her might stress her out too much, so if one of these methods works that might be preferable.

Jim Hall
August 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM
ohh the baby food sounds like a try thank you

rainbow
August 9th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I would try adding a little water to her canned cat food first. If you try the baby food make sure it doesn't have added salt or other ingredients to it.

want4rain
August 9th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I would try adding a little water to her canned cat food first. If you try the baby food make sure it doesn't have added salt or other ingredients to it.

i think it has to be labeled a "meal" or a "dinner" or some such to have anythign besides whats printed on the label. so if you get baby food thats labeled as Chicken and Peas thats ALL thats in it. i think anyway. :) EarthsBest is like that.

id start with watering down her food. you shouldnt need to add more than 2tbs at first. she wont even notice that. :)

-ashley

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Let us know what works please !