Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Overweight Kitten or just hasn't finished growing yet?

heather17021977
August 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Hi there,

I have a question about weight of kittens...our Stewie is 6 months old and weighs about 8-9lbs. I was wonder how I know if he's overweight or just hasn't grown into his body yet (height and length wise). I almost wonder if he has some maine coon in him. His tail is huge and raccoon-like.

Molly is his sibling but she's proportionate and not as fury as he is.

Any input?

Thanks!

krdahmer
August 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Here I posted this site in another thread...

http://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20body%20condition.htm

Other than that, at 6 months they still have a lot of growing to do, so maybe he'll just be a big cat.

ancientgirl
August 8th, 2007, 12:45 PM
My Vlad is in his 6th month, and he's at about that weight too. Last time I took them in for their boosters, he weighed in at a heft 8.5 lbs, whereas little Oksana is a month younger than him is all of 5 pounds.

I asked my doctor and he said that he looked good, not fat. He also said they usually gain about a pound a month more or less and that the fact he weighed what he did might just be an indicator that he's going to be a big cat.

I'm sure your little guy is going to be a big kitty.

heather17021977
August 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Molly is the same age as him and she weighs about 6-6.5 lbs so I guess thats probably right on.

Plus, Stewie is super fluffy :)

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Can you "pinch an inch" ? :laughing: You should be able to feel his ribs under a light layer of muscle and fat and he should have a defined chest and abdomen that curves UP to his hips.