Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Excessive "Dreaming" & Twitching

Skinnypig
August 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
We have a senior Great Dane - almost 9 years old. During the past few months, she has been dreaming and running in her sleep...excessively. While this doesn't seem to be bothering her in the least, it's driving me and my husband nuts! Because of her size, wherever she sleeps she kicks something while she's dreaming; usually our bed, the nightstand, the closet door, etc. She's keeping us awake all night. If I try keeping her out of the bedroom, she'll whine outside the door all night. If we wake her, she's right back at it 15 minutes later. Any ideas on how to keep her from "running" in her sleep?

mummummum
August 8th, 2007, 12:58 AM
No. but how about (oh, :rolleyes: I know this is going to sound nasty but how the heck do you rephrase something like this ??? :eek: ) being grateful ? :D You know of course that most GD's age span is around 6-8 and the odd ones live a few years longer ? :o

I Love Great Danes but have never been quite ready to face being heartbroken at age 6 or even 10. Me ? I, have three hundred pounds of 3, 8 yr old -10 old dogs who do plenty of kicking. I rearrange myself and my furniture as needed and am grateful every day that they are "still kicking".

LavenderRott
August 8th, 2007, 09:43 AM
If you are concerned about it, you might consider taking her to the vet for a check up.

Next time she has one of these dreams, gently say her name and reach down and give her a little scritch.

I do so miss my girl's dreaming. She always included a little "boof" and occassionally a closed mouth howl.

canta22
August 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone! I am new to this site, and I was going through the posts for today and came across this post. <br> I had to laugh , because my Bullador and Cockapoo BOTH have vivid dreams, run, and snore horribly. I took my babies to the vet ( we go to a holistic vet, which is a very refreshing change) and she said that is was completely normal.<br> My fiancee and I were a little worried (before we too them to the vet) because Mickey (my cockapoo) sleeps on the floor next to my side of the bed (he weighs close to 45 lbs, I got him from a shelter and he was VERY Obese, needless to say walking has been helping him:pawprint:) and Molly (Our bullador) sleeps in bed with us..well my fiancee and I were ending up with bruised RIBS (she is about 85 lbs and 7 mo old) and we couldn't figure out why.. then we watched her one night.. WOW.. she was doing some serious running and playing in her sleep. <br>I guess all I am try to say here is my dogs do it constantly,and yes knock everything down (even though they aren't as big as a great dane), and my vet told us that they can have vivid dreams just as much as humans:goodvibes:

Chelly-Belly
August 8th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Hi! i'm new here too! and i'm loving it here. yeah, my dogs dream a lot too. I have a basset hound. she twitches a lot, growls, barks softly - all these while sleeping. it used to bother me a lot but when I found out that it was normal, i found it cute. now it makes me wonder... what do dogs dream about?? :p

canta22
August 8th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Ya, I often wonder what they dream about, I am sure my Bullador, Molly dreams about chasing our siameese Morpheus, like she does all day...Oh and sorry the pics were so HUGE! Didn't think they would be THAT big :)