Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Soft Stool

Tazette
August 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Without giving tmi, Sprocket has had soft stool for a few weeks (I guess it could be longer, can't remember) now. We can pick it up, but just barely, and if he goes in tall grass, we're screwed. We put him on Orijen a few months ago and loved what the first bag did to his stool, as he's not known as a hard stool puppy. Anyhow when we got around to the 2nd bag, we weren't so lucky, his stool has been consitently soft (we're just through 3/4 of the bag, it's getting to be quite annoying. The only thing that I did different with the 2nd bag was cut his food down by 1/2 cup, but have now added 1/4 cup.

Has anyone had a pup who's stool wouldn't not harden...I can't believe I'm talking about dog poop...again!!! :dog: He's had the same treats he's always had, so I haven't a clue what it could be?!?!?

HELP!!!!

Winston
August 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Tazette..I had the same problem with my dog WInston! However I used the Eaglepack Holistic DIgestive aid with the transition to new food. It worked really well...You can find more info at:

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_DigestiveAids.html

Cindy

Tazette
August 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks Cindy,

I remember reading about it before, I'm hoping our small pet store will have it. I want to keep him on this food, as I'm pretty impressed it is Canadian.

geisha
August 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Probiotics work too!
What colour are your pup's stools?

Dr Lee
August 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Has she been recently dewormed? You might also want to drop off a stool sample with your veterinarian for a parasite screen. It is inexpensive and often parasites can be the cause or a predisposing factor to loose stools and diarrhea. Low level of parasites can also appear to resolve with food changes but may persist on a subclinical level. Many of the parasites that pets can carry can be contagious to people.

Good luck!:pawprint:

Tazette
August 8th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the info Dr. Lee, I was hoping you'd be one of the people to answer my post.

Sprocket has never been dewormed (he's 11months old), and to be honest, it had been so long since I owned a pup I couldn't remember how it worked... I doesn't prevent correct? If he has them, the pill will get rid of them? They weren't very good at explaning how the pills work at the vet office, the lack of info and means to explain made me leave without further questioning. Unfortunately we only have the one clinic here, so there's no chance of 2nd opinions. My husband is off work tomorrow, I'll get him to give the vet clinic a call regardless and see if we can give them a sample or what they'd like us to do. Sprocket is still as evil as ever, playing, drinking and eating the same as normal, so I'm not too, too worried at this point.

To answer Geisha, the color is usually a darker brown color, it's always been darker since we started him on Orijen...actually, and please don't get too grossed out, although I wasn't happy when I saw it. It almost looked like a clear coat/cover over his stool a while back, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with his problem now. When I asked the vet, they didn't seemed too concerned.

mummummum
August 8th, 2007, 01:02 AM
tazette ~ just an fyi ~ I haven't read through all of your posts yet...but you should know that we discuss poop ~ in all it's glories and horrors on a regular basis. There's nothing you can tell me that will gros me out.

mummummum
August 8th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Definitely a parasite check is in order. And you may want to have them check for the normals plus whatever is peculiar to the "winter wonderland".

You may also be looking at a food intolerance. The caul you saw on the soft stool (that covering of mucuosa) may be indicative of a protein intolerance. Now, Orijen is my current favourite food. So if your feeding either the puppy or adult one, try the 6-fish. If that's not doing the the job, Merricks Wilderness contains no poultry (but does have grains).

Tazette
August 8th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Lol...location is Yellowknife, NT...Land of the Midnight Sun, for a short time longer. I'm not sure what pups are susceptible to here, Parvo is the only thing I've really heard talk of. Who knows what they can get into, even when you're watching them, I never realized how much garbage was on the ground until I got a dog.

mummummum
August 8th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Wow, I'm surprised you can even get Orijen. It might be wise to contact your version of the Ministry of Natural Resources to ask about natural parasites for dogs.

Tazette
August 8th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah the one pet store is awesome here, she tries to get alot of different foods on different levels. I happened to zero in on Orijen because I was not only happy with the ingredients, but happy it's Canadian as well. She also sells stuff like Solid Gold, Wellness, Natural Balance, Eagle Pack, Royal Canin, etc... She tries, that's for sure, there are about 20,000 people here, so I think she's doing pretty darn good to try and accommodate all of us.

Anyhow, my husband is calling the vet sometime today to see what they suggest, and really, since Dr. Lee jogged my memory, we should be looking at getting Sprocket a deworming pill.

Winston
August 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Tazette...my boy went through the poop problems before Orijen.....He was tested for everything! Giardia, parasites etc etc...he had the clear almost like lining around his stools too! The vet gave us something like metradazinol..if that is spelled correctly! My understanding was that this medicine would coat his tummy....it did help alot...but the biggest factor I found with Orijen is that it took a few weeks for the amount of poop to be reduced! and also it was formed but soft for awhile....After about a month they were perfectly formed! so easy to pick up you...nothing sticks to the grass!

However, I am having the same problem again for the past week with runny stools but I have just changed Winston over the the Orijen Fish Formula!

Cindy

Tazette
August 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
We're going to take a stool sample in today and see what's up. The only thing with regards to the food is he's just finishing up the 2nd bag and will be on the third shortly, so I'd think his system would be use to it by now, plus he seemed to do really well on the first bag...I just don't get it. I don't know how long it will take the vet to get back to us when we bring in the sample, but I hope it doesn't take too long. :fingerscr

breeze
August 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Without giving tmi, Sprocket has had soft stool for a few weeks (I guess it could be longer, can't remember) now. We can pick it up, but just barely, and if he goes in tall grass, we're screwed. We put him on Orijen a few months ago and loved what the first bag did to his stool, as he's not known as a hard stool puppy. Anyhow when we got around to the 2nd bag, we weren't so lucky, his stool has been consitently soft (we're just through 3/4 of the bag, it's getting to be quite annoying. The only thing that I did different with the 2nd bag was cut his food down by 1/2 cup, but have now added 1/4 cup.

Has anyone had a pup who's stool wouldn't not harden...I can't believe I'm talking about dog poop...again!!! :dog: He's had the same treats he's always had, so I haven't a clue what it could be?!?!?

HELP!!!!

I had Bree on orijen first bag was great second not so great, when I called my vet she told me it could be to much protien, so we switch to timber wolf with much less portien, her poop is much better, mind you some days she still has soft stool but that could be that she eats other stuff outside :frustrated:
each doggie is different you might have to try different foods before you can find one that works for your fuzzbutt

Roadblock
August 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hi, I am new here. I am having same problem with my daughter's 2year old Golden. She was on a high rice diet before and my daughter bought a high protein feed because they were out of her old feed. My daughter would like to keep her on the high protein food I keep getting discouraged because it is taking so long. I worried about the slimey appearance. If I mix the food with lots of rice she does ok. If I use more dog food than rice, her bowels become looser. The other problem is I never know when she will have to go . She used to go about the same time morning and night.

Tazette
August 9th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Well my husband took a stool sample into the vet today but forgot to ask how long the test would take, so I called them. When I called, I was once again disappointed with the level of customer service on the phone. I realize they're extremly busy, but I can't help but feel they don't care when they are short with you when you call. Anyhow at 7:30pm the tech called just to let us know there were no parasites whatsoever and spoke to my husband for about 15 -20 minutes giving him info and answering his questions on food, treats, heat, etc.

I'm very happy everything is fine with the stool sample, I was worried, but I feel as though I'm at square 1 again, although I'm more than happy to try and figure out what is going on with my little fuzzbutt! I'm really hoping he's getting use to his food, and like I said before, we're are now just about completely through the 2nd bag and hoping the 3rd bag does the trick... I guess we'll keep experimenting and gathering info. Sprocket doesn't seem to be bothered by it, so I'm not extremly worried at this point.

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Did the Vet tech/ receptionist also expalin that parasites come in cycles and can't always be detected when they are between cycles unless they are IN / have shed in the foeces ~ and that you should bring in another sample in 2 weeks ?

Tazette
August 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
The tech didn't explain that, although we are happy she took the time to talk to us period, as they're so busy that you feel like you're interfering when you try to talk to them for any length of time. I think after work I may go in, regardless how busy they are and ask them more questions until i'm satisfied. I will suggest/ask about bringing another sample in and see what their response is. On another note, (I don't want to hex anything here) Sprocket's stool seems to be a bit better than it has been....here's hoping. :fingerscr