Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stupid question : socks versus no socks

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM
So I just bought new sneakers (last ones I had for years , until Nelly killed them) and I HATE wearing socks in summer. I know sneakers become more ... smelly :o when you don't wear socks in them , but I can't bring myself to have socks on my feeth in summertime.

So how do you wear your sneakers ? Socks or no socks ?

Winston
August 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Must have socks! otherwise they smell like puppy paws!! :laughing:

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
August 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Thin ankle socks in the summer :thumbs up
unless the runners are tennis shoe Keds-like then no socks :D

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Must have socks! otherwise they smell like puppy paws!! :laughing:

Cindy

But I like puppy paw smell :p My dogs's paws smell like corn chips :laughing:

chico2
August 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Frenchy,I have never in my life had runners:yell: ,if I am not barefoot around the house I wear sandals,I have a sandal-fetish,must own 10 pairs...why do most Canadians wear ugly runners,unless they are running of course???
Summer is for naked feet:laughing:

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
why do most Canadians wear ugly runners,unless they are running of course???
Summer is for naked feet:laughing:

I would love to be farefooth all the time too , but walking the dogs in the woods wearing sandals .... not a good idea ! :laughing: I wear my "mow the lawn" ones but they're :yuck: not exactly puppy paw smell :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
August 7th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Chico2 I'm a bare footer/sandal gal myself but occasionally it happens, one must wear runners & esp if during the day I feel a bit silly with big runners on when I would like bare feet. One evening after work wearing heeled sandals my feet were so sore I took them off & walked the two blocks home from the bus stop in bare feet! :D

mummummum
August 7th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Well, I'm with Chico ~ I don't run anymore so no trainers for me. I have a ~ confession time *sniff...small sob* ~ :D shoe problem. I love them !!!! There I've said it.

I've got oodles of different shoes for every occasion. Have you ever looked at Merrill's mocs for woods tramping-about ? Salomon makes similiar shoes as does LL.Bean (and I'm sure others). Super comfie, I've got spring/summer (they breathe) and fall/ winter ones (they're lined).

Two tips on stinky tooties/ shoes. The Body Shoppe makes a to-die for product called "Leomgrass Deodorizing Foot Powder Lotion" and put charcoal briquettes in your shoes at night.

coppperbelle
August 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
In the summer when I HAVE to wear running shoes I wear "no show" socks otherwise we would have to fumigate the house. :laughing:
Seems like I inherited my grandfather's stinky feet.
Most of the time I wear sandals, I have many, many pairs. Last week I found a pair of Rockports that are machine washable so I wear them with no socks.

Shaykeija
August 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I stop wearing socks once the snow goes and they dont come back on until frost bite time.:laughing: I wear running shoes and I :lovestruck: my crocs..

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I stop wearing socks once the snow goes and they dont come back on until frost bite time.:laughing: I wear running shoes and I :lovestruck: my crocs..

ok so that makes me and you, all the others are socks , nice smelly sneakers lovers :laughing: I was thinking , I do live alone so who cares if I stink up the place ? :laughing: I'm sure the fuzzbutts love it :cloud9:

Shaykeija
August 7th, 2007, 10:41 PM
ok so that makes me and you, all the others are socks , nice smelly sneakers lovers :laughing: I was thinking , I do live alone so who cares if I stink up the place ? :laughing: I'm sure the fuzzbutts love it :cloud9:

LOl when Dallas was alive, I used to tell her stinky feet and she would lick them. LOL Foot massage from a 90 sheppard cross.:dog: And I have the bonus of having as husband that was born with out the sense of smell.:laughing:

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 10:44 PM
And I have the bonus of having as husband that was born with out the sense of smell.:laughing:

Lucky you ! I mean lucky him ! :laughing:

Schwinn
August 7th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Socks, but because I only wear sneakers at the gym. I found a pair of "hiking sandles" a few years back, and wear those for times when I don't want to wear my regular sandles.

The one or two times I have worn sneakers without socks, my feet offended even me, so I try to avoid that.

wdawson
August 7th, 2007, 10:49 PM

please tell me you don't wear socks with crocs:laughing:

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM

No , I don't think she's from Vancouver :laughing:

:sorry: but when I was there years ago , it was summer and everyone was wearing whool socks with their sandals :confused: :shrug: :laughing:

SableCollie
August 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I absolutely can't wear socks in the summer...I know socks are supposed to help absorb the sweat but then they end up getting all damp and sticking to my feet-yuck. I've always bought new sneakers in the fall, so I can wear them with socks from the fall through spring, then by the time summer comes they are no longer new and clean and I don't feel bad about getting them all gross with my sweaty sockless feet. I sprinkle baking soda in them, helps absorb the sweat and the odor. I do have one pair of sneakers that I keep "nice", I always wear socks with them, and I never wear them to work. They are for special occasions. :p

growler~GateKeeper
August 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM
No , I don't think she's from Vancouver :laughing:

:sorry: but when I was there years ago , it was summer and everyone was wearing whool socks with their sandals :confused: :shrug: :laughing:

I'm originally fr Vanc & I don't get that either.:confused: It looks just plain weird. :shrug:

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I'm originally fr Vanc & I don't get that either.:confused: It looks just plain weird. :shrug:

Do they still do this ? :laughing:

mummummum
August 7th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Frenchy... here's my best advice. Speak to accountant and a small-business lawyer.

Seriously, why can't you set yourself up as a small not-for-profit or non-profit business (fostering ~ you do pay some of the expenses). Then you can claim some of the miscellaneous expenses like hiking shoes, trainers and the bigger ones like Vets etc.

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM

Confession : I did try it once , it's very comfy , but I would never go outside this way ! :D

growler~GateKeeper
August 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Do they still do this ? :laughing:

unfortunately yes :rolleyes:. Sometimes we get people in the store wearing them & I have the urge to ask "what were you thinking?" but just :rolleyes: & bite my tongue :laughing:

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Frenchy... here's my best advice. Speak to accountant and a small-business lawyer.

Seriously, why can't you set yourself up as a small not-for-profit or non-profit business (fostering ~ you do pay some of the expenses). Then you can claim some of the miscellaneous expenses like hiking shoes, trainers and the bigger ones like Vets etc.

:confused: What ??? (I don't use trainers and the rescue pays for the vet bills , the fosters's ones not for my own doggies)

And believe me , my sneakers will last for years and years , I like them better when they're worn out , unfortunatly , the smell comes with it :shrug:

Shaykeija
August 7th, 2007, 11:47 PM

Nope from Ontario...no socks with crocs here lol

TeriM
August 8th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I'm a socks girl when I have sneakers. I mostly wear sandals all summer long though. I WILL NOT wear socks with my sandles (ok, maybe if I'm camping and it's after dark and my feet are cold ... but only then!).

Febreeze also works very well for destinking shoes :thumbs up .

Hunter's_owner
August 8th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I am like TeriM.

If I am wearing sneakers, I must have socks on. If I am wearing shorts, then I will wear ankle socks with them.

I have only wore socks with sandles maybe twice and that was in the same situation that TeriM described.

chico2
August 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Not only do I think runners are ugly,especially on me,since I am really grounded with a size8/9:laughing: ,they look like great big blobs on me.
In a size 5/6 I am sure they look better..
I got a pair of Birkenstock(sp?)sandals as a gift,GREAT for walking Bailey,but I would never pay $90+ myself for sandals.
Then there are the CROCS,talk about ugly:laughing:
I saw a woman yesterday in a really cute summer outfit and limegreen Crocs...:yell: how many ways can you destroy an outfit:confused:

OH and by the way,a correction on my first post,I AM a Canadian too:thumbs up

jessi76
August 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM
seeing as how I can no longer reach to tie a pair of sneakers, I've given up completely, and stick to slip on mules or flip flops now. however, when I did wear them, I prefered an ankle sock.

Frenchy
August 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
seeing as how I can no longer reach to tie a pair of sneakers,

:laughing: I think you're better off with flip flops right now (your feeth must be swollen too right now ? ) :stork-baby:

jessi76
August 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM
my left one seems to swell up when the humidity gets to the "opressive" level - which has been on/off lately here... I've only had "balloon feet" a few times so far. :rolleyes:

I've been banned from my sneaks anyways... rolling around on Heely's while preggo is just too dangerous.

breeze
August 8th, 2007, 12:19 PM
for me with sneekers I wear sooks, mostly in the fall or for long walks.
in the summer I do wear crocs and with socks if my feet are cold, but never socks with flip-flops.
I don't really like socks but sometimes one does bot have a choise. As for the smell dr.scolls sells a powder that eleminates the smell, just put it in your shoes and on your feet, it makes them stay nice and cool and fresh. or just chance your shoes often were one pair one day then the other pair the next day and keep switching them.

Rick C
August 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Sneakers = socks.

Sandals = no socks.

No socks in the grass = no socks

Life is simple.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

breeze
August 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Sneakers = socks.

Sandals = no socks.

No socks in the grass = no socks

Life is simple.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

sometimes
and for men it is more simple than for women

dtbmnec
August 8th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I can't wear crocs...my feet are too skinny LOL Neither can mom. Though they do seem rather comfortable :)

I try to wear thin ankle socks with any shoes. Unfortunately they all seem to have been misplaced when I moved. Sooooo I go in sandals. It was pouring rain out yesterday and I wore sandals out. Don't like squishy feet but the shoes would have looked horrid with what I was wearing.

I'm ALWAYS barefoot in the house. I just can't stand having socks on. Middle of winter I'm still sockless. I'll actually wear slippers but no socks. Socks are evil :p

Megan

JanM
August 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Socks for me with sneakers - I wear them to the Beach in the mornings. I do wear socks with my Holy Soles when I go to the beach too - but that's only to keep the sand out. Regardless of what shoe I wear - shoes and socks come off when I get home and all get hung out to dry!

Schwinn
August 8th, 2007, 10:39 PM
my left one seems to swell up when the humidity gets to the "opressive" level - which has been on/off lately here... I've only had "balloon feet" a few times so far. :rolleyes:

I've been banned from my sneaks anyways... rolling around on Heely's while preggo is just too dangerous.

Mrs. Schwinn is swelling up huge. When she wears her sandles, a couple of times her foot has been the shape of a baluga whale, with a big dent where the sandle goes over her foot. One day when she was at work, she called to tell me that her shoe popped off. I feel bad for her. Since she's been off, our air conditioner has been working over time, so that's helped.

I don't get the attraction to Crocs. They must be darn comfy, because they sure are butt. The baby crocs are kind of cute, though. Gracie has a pair, and she never takes them off.

breeze
August 8th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Mrs. Schwinn is swelling up huge. When she wears her sandles, a couple of times her foot has been the shape of a baluga whale, with a big dent where the sandle goes over her foot. One day when she was at work, she called to tell me that her shoe popped off. I feel bad for her. Since she's been off, our air conditioner has been working over time, so that's helped.

I don't get the attraction to Crocs. They must be darn comfy, because they sure are butt. The baby crocs are kind of cute, though. Gracie has a pair, and she never takes them off.

the crocs are very very comfy and cool with all the holes in them they are also wide does not cause crushed feet you slip them on and off at will. they are litle and good cousion for the hells and arches, and they come in fun colors :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 8th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I don't wear shoes...so can't tell you if I'd wear them with socks or not. :D

Sandals, I wear, however. hazel has really sweaty feet, though...and madame hazel's feet really stink...and believe it or not, wool socks help! So I always wear wool socks now, winter or summer...the smart wool kind--very pretty, really. :D Yeah, okay...so it looks dumb anyway...but so comfy...and they don't look any worse than crocs! :laughing: I always wear jeans so you don't really get the full effect of socks with sandals, anyway--they're sorta covered up. :o

So Frenchy, now that we've fessed up about socks and sandals, are you not gonna come visit? Or are you more determined than ever because you now realize you have to save the Pack from a socked sandal-wearer? :eek:

:laughing:

Frenchy
August 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM
and they come in fun colors :laughing:

These colours are for popsicles , not shoes :cool: :D

Hazel , I don't care about your stinky feeth , AHEM , I mean madame hazel's , nothing will stop me from "visiting" the pack soon :evil:

breeze
August 8th, 2007, 11:07 PM
These colours are for popsicles , not shoes :cool: :D

how else are you going to celebrate summer fall and winter then if you don't were bright colorful crocs or holey soles or dawgs????? hummmmmmmmmmmm

hazelrunpack
August 8th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Hazel , I don't care about your stinky feeth , AHEM , I mean madame hazel's , nothing will stop me from "visiting" the pack soon :evil:

:D :p :D

Bring some croc-colored popsicles when you come, okay? That sounds good! :thumbs up

Frenchy
August 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM
how else are you going to celebrate summer

Corona baby ! :thumbs up

breeze
August 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Corona baby ! :thumbs up

nope not here
just colored crocs for me :thumbs up :crazy:

marko
August 9th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Thin ankle socks in the summer :thumbs up
unless the runners are tennis shoe Keds-like then no socks :D

Yup me too - Carmy buys the thin ankle socks for me...she is like 1,000,000 times more fashionable than I am and tries her hardest to get me away from my natural tendency to look like a bohemian student. :shrug:

But when no runners...sandals baby! :highfive:
Sock free sandles.

clm
August 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Okay, you guys are gonna think I'm nuts, but I've never liked socks. Mom says I used to take them off when I was a child and hide them. I don't wear them winter or summer. Barefoot in the sneakers all the time :eek: I don't wear boots in winter either, so those days that you step out in the snow with no socks and sneakers and that snow slides down into your shoe, that's a real wake me up :laughing:
I have an extremely bad back, so I wear sneakers almost all the time, I have to buy a new pair every 2 or 3 months. Odor is problematic, so they get washed a lot and dusted with powder every day too :laughing: Oh and with 2 puppies around, I'm forever trying to find one or both sneakers all the time.:laughing:

Cindy

krdahmer
August 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I love this thread!

I HATE socks... and regular shoes for that matter...

Socks with Crocs is strictly for house cleaning- and only for the sweat factor, I hate when you get sweaty feet in the crocs...http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sick/sick0025.gif (http://search.orange.co.uk/all?p=_searchbox&pt=resultgo&brand=ouk&tab=web&actualtabweb=web&q=site%3Awww.homes24.co.uk+homes24&tabRadio=web)

I'm with you guys summer is for naked feet, and I looooove sandals!! And I cannot understand how anyone can sleep with socks on, even in the winter I need a naked foot out of the sheets as my thermometer.

When I do wear shoes or sneakers however I do wear socks, usually those low ones that barely cover your ankle though.

I'm not big on boots either, there is nothing better to perk you up than some cold snow on the ankle!!!http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0080.gif (http://search.orange.co.uk/all?p=_searchbox&pt=resultgo&brand=ouk&tab=web&actualtabweb=web&q=site%3Awww.homes24.co.uk+homes24&tabRadio=web)

SableCollie
August 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Now I feel silly admitting this, but I can only wear socks that have the seams on top of the toes. Some of them have seams that are right on the toes, and they drive me crazy. I can't wear them! When I buy socks I have to carefully check to make sure they have the right kind of seams. I think I have some issues....:p

Frenchy
August 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I wore my brand new sneakers today .... with no socks :evil: mwwwaaaa !

glitterless
August 10th, 2007, 04:57 AM
No socks for me either :D I admit, my feet DO get sweaty without socks, but I just can't stand them in summer. I spend most of the summer in flip flops or some kind of sandal.. although I find that I have to moisturize my feet a lot!

I do wear socks with boots when I'm riding, but I even go sockless if I'm just wearing rubber boots around the barn.

No socks = less laundry. I'm happy with that :thumbs up