Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fleas

emilybutterfly
August 7th, 2007, 03:52 PM
i everyone iam newto this forum and my 2 cats have fleas andi tried everything to get rid of them does anyone know of any all natrual reacipes to get rid of them thanks emilybutterfly:cat:

growler~GateKeeper
August 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
The best natural way to get rid of adult fleas is to hand pick them off & drown the pesky buggers in water w/a little dish soap use a paper cup if you have one that way you can just toss it out (they can swim a bit & crawl out of the water the soap will kill them), or if you can get them between your fingernails pop their backs :yuck: . Vaccuuming often will get rid of adults & eggs. Cedar & pine are natural repelants. Sometimes depending on the age of your cats a regular flea killer ie advantage, program etc is a must to get rid of initial infestation because they will keep coming back.

My cat is 16yrs old & hasn't had any fleas since she was 4yrs old, this includes rescuing a flea infested dog w/allergies to fleas & bringing him into my family - Duffy was 7yrs @ the time - he was on program year round because of his allergies, after treating the initial batch of adult fleas w/advantage, keeping him only on program we never had fleas again. There was also 2 very large pine trees in the backyard.

If I knew why Duffy has no fleas believe me I'd tell you - I'd be rich. :D

Dracko
August 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
My nephew had a lot of sucess using Brewer's Yeast and garlic. He put the Brewer's yeast on the fur every few days and gave the cat garlic oil in his food daily. It worked after some of the over-the-counter remedies didn't. :thumbs up

mummummum
August 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Here's a thread that might be helpful

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=460929#post460929

Dr Lee
August 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM
My nephew had a lot of sucess using Brewer's Yeast and garlic. He put the Brewer's yeast on the fur every few days and gave the cat garlic oil in his food daily. It worked after some of the over-the-counter remedies didn't. :thumbs up

One caution with garlic - any member of the Allium genus of plants (garlic, onions, shallots, leek and chives) contain a compound called n-propyl disulfide which is not harmful to humans. However in dogs and cats it causes damage to the red blood cells, leads to red blood cell death and potentially anemia. Various forms of these plants (fresh, cooked, powdered, dried, etc...) have been shown to be toxic.

With that said, many animal foods and holistic remedies reference the positive affects of garlic. While I believe that garlic, especially in people, have many health benefits, the negative side effects in dogs and cats must be weighed when using this. Also when considering dose, the minimal amount of garlic would be recommened.

I know this thread had to do with holistic remedies however if you are interested in prescription medication - Frontline with the active ingredient of Fipronil is extremely safe. It gets absorbed into the oil glands of the skin thus having virtually no medication anywhere else in the body. In clinical trials the medication was given orally to dogs and cats with no health affects. It is both sunlight (UV) and water proof. It is just a thought.

Good luck. :pawprint: