Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pit Bull Puppy regressing in training after being attacked

rmarkley
August 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Me and my boyfriend recently received a 5 mo. old Pit Bull puppy, Duke. We were so impressed with how well he was trained. He had no problems on the leash, listened to commands, was super friendly and nonaggresive towards other dogs, and perhaps the most impressive, was COMPLETELY POTTY TRAINED! We were so excited! Everything was going great for the first four days and then on an early morning potty break the upstairs neighbors pitbull (who is VERY aggressive) attacked little Duke out of nowhere. Duke had no real physical injuries (just a little scrape above his eye), however, it seems as if he has not been the same emotionally since.

First off we noticed he was cowering everywhere, after that he didn't even want to go outside. He's always shaking now, and for two days after vomitted every couple hours. Thankfully he's quit vomitting, however now has had severe diarrhea for the last three days. He's still eating and drinking, but has had too many accidents to count in the house.

Any ideas on how to re-pottytrain Duke? We both love him and know he can be such a good dog, but it's REALLY frustrating having to clean up after him all the time. We're stuck.:pray:

jessi76
August 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
first things first... get your pup into the vet for a checkup. Vomiting and diahrrea needs to be checked out, especially if he's having accidents ALOT. after you get a checkup - post an update and hopefully we can help you from there. but I really think your pup should have a checkup first, ruling out medical issues is always a good first step.

SableCollie
August 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Yes, get him to the vet, the vomiting and diarrhea probably have nothing to do with the attack, and need to be checked out, as they could be serious. Has he been vaccinated against distemper and parvo?

mummummum
August 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Agree completely, vommiting and diarrhea into it's third day is putting your dog at risk of dehydration or more serious complications just from that alone ~ not to mention whatever is causing these symptoms. Let us know how you make out ~ we're happy to help with remaining behaviour issues.

rmarkley
August 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM
We took little Duke to the vet and he said it was more than likely stress related and not viral. Considering he had moved homes, new environment, new people, and then the attack the little guy was under a whole lot of stress. He told us to not give him food for 1 day and see what happens. The great news is he isn't dehydrated!

I'm still curious if we will go back to being potty trained though. Thanks for your help and I'll be sure to come back with more questions!:thumbs up

jessi76
August 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM
great news that the little pup isn't sick! I wouldn't consider a 5mth old pup "completely housetrained"... my dog was mostly housebroken then, but even he had an occassional accident around the 6 mth mark... I don't consider a pup housebroken unless you have a consecutive string of a few months with no accidents. Being in a new home, new people, new routine, and some not so nice neighbors (and dog) I'd say this little guy will need some strong leadership - he'll need to feel confident that you (and your bf) will look out for him. Some group training classes may be beneficial in establishing a strong bond, and working on his social skills in a controled environment with other dogs his age. I'd look for a SMALL private training group that only uses positive methods, if one is available in your area.

glad to hear the checkup went well though! :thumbs up

rmarkley
August 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
new question.....

We live in Sitka, AK, a small island town in southeast alaska. There is one puppy training class and that is only for puppies 6 mo. and younger. Any good resources for puppy training? Right now i'm most concerned about him being aggressive towards other dogs. A coworker of mine also has a puppy and they had played together until D-day (that's what I like to refer to as the attack day), and now we've tried to get them together a few times with no luck! Duke is just mean now and snaps and growls at him. Any ideas?

Thanks for the comforting on the pottytraining! Good news though, accident free for two days now! YEAH!

Thanks again for being so helpful everyone!
:grouphug: