Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog training program

mindis12
August 7th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone; I need your help! We are putting together the Sept Training course. We are in need of 12 German Shepherds.. All of these dogs will be started and trained for Police Services in need.. Each dog will be altered as they will be utilized as a K-9 Search and Rescue Dog and or Patrol dog..If you know of any dogs that have the ability to do the job get back too us.. We are more than willing to save as many dogs from the SPCAs as they may have the quality that we are looking for. All dogs are to be donated to a Police Station in need and 10 % of the income is being directed to the Windsor Essex County Humane Society..

Winston
August 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Mindis12...you could contact someone at this site!

www.gsrt.net

or check out the Hamilton SPCA as there are a few GSD's there now!

www.hamiltonspca.com

Cindy

mindis12
August 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Awesome Winston;; I will give them a call today.. I will tell yea all what happens....:highfive:

Winston
August 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Mindis12...Just curious? does the GSD have to be a purebred?

Cindy

mummummum
August 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM
This is why I HATE going to petfinder etc. ~ it breaks my heart ....

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/adopt/bonded_pets.asp
Animal type: Dog
KEYLO & KEEDA
A108132 & A108131

Male (Neutered)
4 years old

Hi there, we’re Keylo & Keeda! We came to the Toronto Humane Society on January 28th 2007 because our guardian’s moved and left us behind.

We’re now hoping to find our true loving and permanent homes together, as soon as we can!

For more information call 416.392.2273 ext. 2150, or contact Canine Services.

and Look at Cesar

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/adopt/petharbor_dogs.asp

and Keesha (a little older but not if she lives until 20 !)
http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/adopt/petharbor_dogs.asp

and Major (#A399896) as well as the puppy below (A400031) at Toronto Animal Services http://www.toronto.ca/animal_services/pet_adoption.htm
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

mindis12
August 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Mindis12...Just curious? does the GSD have to be a purebred?

Cindy

Hey Cindy; No they do not need to be a purebred. All and any breed can be used.. Some prefer labs other prefer Shepherds..Years ago we had a Springer Spaniel named Barnie that swore he was a Shepherd.. Everything they did he did..The Officer that came to adopt Kavick was so impressed that he said keep him we'll be back for him.. Kavick did some amazing things.. I will explain at a later date..

The intent is to locate a dog with the right temperment, drives, spirit that wants to work..To please just to get er done.. Miss Joy replaced a Bloodhound cross to become a explosive dog..

Many homeless dogs have the ability to appreciate a new start in life so yeah they are a great candidate for the services..

By the way everyone thanks so much for your assistance in this area, I will be contacting all the local services to make arrangements.. This is the part I love, saving a life, training a candidate and placing them with the right forever home.. Its for the love of the animal nothing more and nothing less..:highfive: :dog: :grouphug:

Winston
August 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Mindis12! That is great news! I was always under the impression that the dogs used must be a purebred!! Well I am pretty sure you probably have come to the right place looking for dogs!!! There are so many knowledgeable people here with some pretty awesome contacts!! I hope you will be able to find and give some a second chance! at life!!!

My lab Winston should have been one of those dogs! Not sure if he would have been best at Narcotics or a Cadaever dog! He enjoys chewing up tennis balls into little tiny pieces! He then brings all the pieces to me! I place him in a sit beside me! cover his eyes, then I throw a tiny tiny piece of the tennis ball into the grass in my yard!~ It is a game to him..but he will find the exact piece I have thrown for him...he sometimes finds another piece of the ball and brings that to me...if I tell him it is not the right one ..he goes back and gets the right piece!!! It is truly remarkable to watch! He has no real pattern that I can see other than he uses his nose to find them...He will zig zag across the yard..back and forth..nose to the ground till he finds it! It makes him sooooo happy to find it and bring it to his Mom! :laughing:

If you need any further info about any of the contacts I provided feel free to PM me if you like!!

Cindy

:thumbs up

mindis12
August 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks Winston; YouR pup sounds so awesome.. These are the type of dogs we are always looking for.. One's with the natural ability to want to have fun.

I find that if there is no fun involved with the training the dog burns out as does the trainer.. I have seen so many dogs screwed up.. and generally caused from the owners.. I have a personal saying.. I know you will like...

THERE'S NO SUCH A THING AS A BAD DOG, JUST A DOG WITH HUMAN ISSUES..TRAIN EM DON'T BLAME EM !!!!!:cool: :highfive: