Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

16 Yr Old beats kitten

Love4himies
August 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2007/08/07/kitten-court.html?ref=rss

OMG, I wonder if this is Canada's next serial killer? He need serious and intensive counselling.

Knowing our justice system, if you can call it that, will give him a slap on the hand and say, "Please don't do that anymore".

CyberKitten
August 7th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I read this in the Herald when I arrived home and was sooo shocked - and to think he did it in front of the children. Sounds like a psychopath in the making as much as I know professionally it is not wise to label anyone!). I'd have to copy the article from the Herald - it was rob online but I was away and they do not have Archives. I do know someone there so may be able to get the original article though!

All in all, it's horrible and sick!

CyberKitten
August 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Here is the original article in the Chrionicle Herald but there was also one in the Halifax Daily news:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/851494.html

nspeakably cruel
Man, teen face charges after kitten clubbed to death as kids watched
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER Staff Reporter | 4:42 AM

ADVERTISEMENT

At least one person has been charged after a kitten was beaten to death with a golf club Saturday in Halifax while a group of children watched in horror.

A man Halifax Regional Police picked up and questioned Sunday will likely be arraigned in Halifax provincial court Tuesday morning.

Three teenage boys were also questioned Sunday in relation to the five-month-old kittenís death. One will likely be charged, police said, but the other two boys were released with no charges.

According to police, the man was not directly involved in the kittenís death.

Staff Sgt. Don Moser couldnít comment on the specific charges until they are filed with the court. He said this type of investigation generally results in several charges.

"There are three sections of the Criminal Code that we would likely refer to," he said Sunday evening.

They include causing unnecessary suffering or cruelty to animals, injuring or endangering animals, and mischief.

"So those are the places we would go with charges but I canít comment specifically on where thatís going to sit in the end as the investigation still continues."

Staff Sgt. Moser said incidents of animal cruelty by teenagers are somewhat unusual.

"I think itís a fairly unique thing, I donít think it happens that often. Letís hope it doesnít become a regular thing either.

"But in fairness to the public, I think it captures their attention."

The kittenís owner said Sunday that she was hoping the police would be laying charges.

"Iím actually pleased," Marie Hallett said from her Cobalt Walk home in Spryfield.

The female kitten, named Pearl, was a gift to her daughter Deborah and had joined the household just a few months ago with two other kittens named Hon and Flash.

Deborah, 11, was traumatized when she, along with her cousins, witnessed a group of teens clubbing the kitten with a golf club, her mother said.

"They are all indoor cats, but the minute you open the door, they go zing and they jump out the door, and thatís what happened to her," Mrs. Hallett said. "She got out.

"We were devastated," she said of the death, which occurred near their front yard.

She was at a loss Sunday to understand how the teenagers could have committed such an act on a helpless animal.

"We couldnít imagine anyone doing that."

Her family moved to the area about nine years ago, Mrs. Hallett said, and they had all been comfortable and happy in their neighbourhood until Saturdayís incident.

Sheís hopeful that a service the family held for Pearl will help her daughter come to terms with what happened.

"We couldnít bury her ó the police took the cat for evidence ó so we had a little memorial service for her at our house."

While Mrs. Hallett believes she knows the teenagers involved in Pearlís death, sheís not familiar with their families.

She plans to attend court for their arraignment on the charges.

In the meantime, the regional councillor for the area says he has an idea for their community service.

"Iím absolutely sick over it," Coun. Stephen Adams (Spryfield-Herring Cove) said Sunday night.

The councillor, who owns two cats, a dog and a horse, says the kittenís death is "disgraceful" and "has no justification."

He hopes whoeverís responsible is prosecuted to the fullest extent.

"They should be made to work at the SPCA for a couple of months.

"They canít fix what theyíve done, but at least it can give these sick minds some semblance of what theyíve done."

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Shaykeija
August 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: I wish that the parents would be responsible for their pieces of human garbage that they produced....