Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog peeing in house, in just one spot, several times a day

dskbrtndr71
August 7th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Hi, my 1 1/2 year old Golden, Scotty, had begun a terrible habit. He has taken to peeing in the same spot repeatedly throughout the day. He is taken out regularly, he is given plenty of potty time, he is allowed to do potty several times. He is trained well enough in certain regards. He knows that when he is done, he comes right over to me at the porch. He doesn't poop in the house, just pees. He was taken to the vet 3 weeks ago, and since he had a bit of a fever, they put him on antibiotics thinking that he might have had a UTI. He has been off of the medication for a week now, and still no improvement. I have wood floors, and this one area is definately showing signs of irreversible damage. What do I do? Please help! Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

jessi76
August 7th, 2007, 08:05 AM
if your vet has given your dog a clean bill of health and you are SURE it's not health related....

can you restrict him from that area easily? If so, I'd do that. Also, if you can keep him in one area of the house (or crated) while you're not able to supervise, that would help keep him from that spot.

When you are home, I'd watch him like a hawk (as you would a puppy) and/or keep him on a leash so you can correct him when he attemps to pee in that spot again. It's best to catch him in the act and give a firm correction. a very stern NO! should suffice. promptly take him outside to finish his business, and reward him for going outside... again, as you would a puppy.

in the meantime, while you are re-training, can you block or cover this spot to prevent any more damage to your wood floors??