Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thymoma

Stingerbell
August 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM
There is not a lot of information out there on canine thymomas. I am looking for anyone who may have any information or experience with thymomas.

Dr Lee
August 7th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Typically these are best addressed with surgical excision/debulking (thymomas are locally invasive and difficult to fully resect in most cases) followed by radiation therapy. Chemotherapy can also be helpful in some cases. For thymomas, referral to a board certified surgeon and oncologist would be strongly recommended if they are not already involved. The oncologist should be able to give you more detailed information. Is this the information that you were looking for? :pawprint:

Stingerbell
August 7th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Yes, this is what was done originally; however, the only follow-up recommendation was to check the dog in a year (no radiation or chemo was suggested). Unfortunately the tumor has returned, and I was hoping to see if there were alternative treatments without having to put her through the surgery again. While I am gathering information, I am currently trying Neoplasene and have successfully reduced the calcium level, but it is unknown whether the tumor has shrunk. Thank you for your help.