Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This has to be a joke!!-Look at these bathingsuits!NO WAY!

heidiho
August 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-3.html

SableCollie
August 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Woah, welcome to the 1920s!!! I would think those would be awful to wear on a hot day.

breeze
August 6th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I saw some similar bathingsuits at the water park yesterday.. it had to do with a religous thing.. they do look uncomfortable but when you have to wear them or brought up with them you get use to it.

Frenchy
August 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM
That's what we wear in Sherrington , too many bugs :shrug:

:rolleyes:

want4rain
August 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM
living in the Bible Belt of the USA we see loads of that stuff.

-ashley

heidiho
August 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
that is nuts,my god you would cook here.

CyberKitten
August 6th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Actually, it is remotely possible this is for groups like Hasidic Jewish communities or Amish groups or other religious groups who teach that women should not wear short clothing and never a bathing suit. While I do not live that way, I won't laugh at it either - if indeed this is what this is. I do wonder how very serious Hasidic groups, some of whom frown on the use of electronic devices (though the Rabbi or Rebe often has a fax machine in his office) will access this site? I do believe some of the other religious groups do not access the web. I have admittedly come into contact with a fundamental Christian sect here in the Maritimes - HQed in the southern US though - where the women wear their hair long and wear only dresses or skirts and would also be required to wear bathing suits like this. So my guess is there may be a small market for it - of they could get the group to access the web!! I might add tho that one of my best secretaries came from a Christan sect like this and she was a wonderful person. I can absolutely see her wearing this to swim and she certainly does use email and shops online!

I have seen Hasidic girls swimming (in Israel) and they wore long dresses. So while I disagree with that philosophy (ie the role of women there is not as egalitarian as I am used to or even believe in tho tho there is no outright abuse and women are taught equally with men), I would not condemn it - it is what they believe.

Just my take on it - it could be someone laughing at these communities which in and of itself would be not very appealing and kind of sad for someone to go to all that trouble - just because it represents something they do not understand nor want to.

mummummum
August 6th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I guess the jumper on top is the "modesty" part. Remarkably unattractive and would likely put me into heatstroke within a 1/2 hour. The under garments are simlar to the sunsmart swimsuits I see on lots of kids at the beach these days.

Lukka'sma
August 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I don't swim and I have a terrible fear of the water so I don't know much about how it feels to swim. I do know that those dresses (bathing suits) look as though they would be up around your neck once you entered the water. How is it possible to swim while tangled up in material?

mindis12
August 7th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I love to swim and would never be caught dead in a swim suit like this.. I beleive with my extensive weight issues along with the suit I may not find my way safely back to land!:cry: :yell:

glasslass
August 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM
"Highlights the face rather than the body" - I assume then that these are for sunbathing, not for swimming. So the material floating or entangling would not be an issue. After all, if you're swimming or just treading water, all you would see would be the face anyway. :shrug:

mindis12
August 7th, 2007, 02:12 PM
So very true, the thing is I would look and feel so much bigger than I already am so thats not a good thing as far as I am concerned...:eek:

heidiho
August 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM
It has to be for amish type people,that would make sense,cause no one else in their right mind would wear it,and i am not making fun of amish..

mindis12
August 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Yes you have made a good point. I am not making fun of them either but I know I would never wear them... As I stated I would look like a balloon with a funny face bobbing around...:clown:

CyberKitten
August 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM
They could also be for people with disabilities. I do not have a disability per se but have more surgical scars than I'd like to and so I used to wear a top that did not show my back - I actually never wear anything that does that tho I see it in no way differently than someone who is overweight not wearing anything that'll make them look bigger and these might - hard top tell from just looking at them. I think I'd have to try them on. The point of the beach tho - for most people- is to get some sun tho I burn so for me, it is to swim - and thus, I swim at home.

So I can understand people from different perspectives and why they'd wear a "modest" bathing suit. They rather look like the early bathing suits - ie, from the 20's and so forth. I do not know about the Amish but U have seen Hasidic folks at the beach and they usually wear their own clothes - like a nightdress for the women and under clothes for the men. Often, they just wade and do not actually swim. This was in Israel tho I have also seen some of the Hasidim faith in Florida at a beach near where my parents live and they too waded. Ti be honest, I was sitting on the beach with my bf and we were quietly drinking beer so I had to hide the beer as I talked to the Hasidic woman so as not to scandalize the poor woman completely. :)

There are many groups it would apply to Heidi and I know you are not making fun. You come across as an understanding and nonjudgmental person.

So, would I wear them? I don't know. it depends.I somehow doubt it. I am not a fundamentalist in terms of my religion but I do think if people want to wear them, that is up to them and I refuse to question what anyone wears. If I did, I would be very unprofessional and I cannot be unkind even in that way. And while I am not that conservative, I do wonder about some of the clothes young women wear that are almost advertising their bodies. That is for me worse than these outfits. That said, I used to wear really short mini shirts so I am in no positon to judge anyone, lol Anyone remeber hot pants in the eraly 70's, lol

I know I'd never wear a bikini - too many scars. Not that they bother me. I do tend to swim at home but I do go in the water at hotel swimming pools and to whirlpools so I don't care especially what people think. I just do not want to advertise all those scars.

jiorji
August 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
i think those are redundant

you sould just wear a surf top and surf shorts if you're that shy. But i'm sure this is aimed at religious groups.

mummummum
August 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
If you read through the website, the undergarment and over-pinnafore (jumper) are all made of swimsuit -like materials (cotton, lycra). The bib of the pinafore zips into the zipper of the undergarment and have snaps on the pinnafore skirt turning it into a culotte for swimming ~ which can be undone (so the wearer doesn't have to change to go into the town !).

I think the pinnafore is a little much and the whole thing is b#tt-ugly. On the other hand ~ at least they are swimming !!! In public !!! With other people !!! Sometimes strides are made in small steps... :2cents:

Schwinn
August 7th, 2007, 10:43 PM
/over-protective dad mode on

I wonder if they make them in Gracie's size...

/over-protective dad mode off..off...hmmm...seems to be stuck...

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 10:46 PM

:laughing: You should by one now , a bigger size , for her sixteen birthday ;)

SableCollie
August 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
The site itself doesn't really have much info, however I did find this (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=108814&ran=203493) article. Apparently they were just designed for "people who prefer modesty".

The collection is not aimed at practitioners of any specific religion. There is no obvious mention of spirituality, God, Allah or Joseph Smith on the company's Web site.

"There are still people in this world who prefer modesty," says Joan Ferguson, who handles sales for the company. "So my son, his wife and daughter designed the product."

The company has found a following among older women who like to wear the suits for water aerobics, larger women who prefer more coverage poolside and women whose husbands like to act as fashion consultants.

"I'm very surprised at the men who call because they don't want their wives and daughters running around in their underwear," Ferguson says.

dtbmnec
August 8th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Sorry but I think its going to be forever stuck there. Its the same with my dad and I'm 22 :p

I think its a good idea. I mean there really aren't a whole lot of particularly "covering" bathing suits that I've seen. I can see its use for many many people including perhaps the older people who still like wading or the occasional dip in a public pool on hot days.

Personally, I wouldn't wear them. I do think their ugly (btw color scheme much!? eek!) but maybe in 50 some years I might think differently! After all, I probably won't have this hot sexy body anymore (lol).

I still don't see how it would work for swimming, but maybe if I saw one close up I could. If those snaps are hidden then I sure wouldn't know where they are/how they work but I'd have to assume that they'd put in a lot of research on how to make it work.

I'm glad its a real site and they actually DO make these and they aren't making fun of people who would enjoy these suits. :)

Megan