Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whining when I leave...

linden79
August 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I have a nearly three-year-old lab/dane cross who, up till now, has seemed pretty good when I leave the apartment. However, about a month ago I started working from home, so obviously, I'm here a lot more. Ever since he was little, when I would leave the house I'd give him a kong with peanut butter in it. He used to be in a crate, but hasn't for a while now. I still give him his kong, but I notice that while I'm waiting for the elevator sometimes, I hear him come to the door and start crying. As you can probably guess, I live in an apartment building and I can't have him crying, whining and yelping.

I'm wondering if I should even still be giving him something to distract him when I leave? I know I probably shouldn't make a big deal of it when I come home (which I haven't been as good as I should be... he's just so happy to see me!!! Hehehe), but does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make him less upset? Or how to make it not such a big deal for him when I go?

Thanks!

mindis12
August 9th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Our dogs pull the same stuff every time we leave.. and the feelings are not the best.. What I have done for years is leave either the T.V or the radio on.. Mind you I do give them chewies as well..

Its amazing how loyal these guys are!

~michelle~
August 9th, 2007, 11:52 AM
try not making a deal of coming home or leaving and maybe change your routine right before you leave so theres no anticipation to you leaving, and try training him like you just starting leaving him on his own. leave for 5 mins come back and work your way up
tv/radio helps too

jessi76
August 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM
the kong and peanut butter are GREAT - however, if overused, may lose it's distraction ability. When I leave my dog, I "mix it up"... sometimes I hide biscuits around for him to find, sometimes he gets a frozen kong, or a yogurt kong, or left over steak & chicken bits in another fillable toy, or a tuna kong, etc....

I would buy 2-3 additonal toys (like a kong, but different, things that are tough enough to be chewed on, and can be filled w/ something) then rotate them, and change what you put in the toy. some days may be kibble, or cheese, or tuna, or plain yogurt, or peanut butter, or wet dog food, or a doggy biscuit, etc...

be sure to just use foods that you know won't upset your dog's stomach, use small amounts, and adjust his other meals accordingly so he doesn't gain weight from the added food.

FROZEN kongs work great too because it takes alot longer for the dog to get the "treat". I mix non-fat plain yogurt w/ a few scoops of peanut butter - blend well, fill kong, and freeze for a peanut-butter-frozen yogurt kong which takes a while for my dog to lick out, and keeps his attention longer.

Another trick I do... I get those small free sample bags of kibble at the pet store and use those as "treats". since it's not the normal kibble my dog gets everyday, he thinks it's "special". you can buy a buster-cube or other similar toy that spits out small treats when it's played with. I find the sample kibble bags work WELL for those types of toys.

some links to some toys (not endorsing where to buy, just for product info only)...

http://www.busybuddytoys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=11 (like a kong)
http://www.busybuddytoys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=2 (treat dispensing disc)
http://www.dogtoys.com/bustercube.html (treat dispensing cube)
http://www.talktometreatball.com/ (treat dispensing ball)

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM
You've got some great advice here already. The only thing I would stress is "the not making a big deal" when you leave and come home. But you know that already don't you :laughing:

mindis12
August 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Exceptional advice everyone..

Strarting_Fresh
August 9th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I tried tieing the kong with ziggies to the top of the crate to distract my Roxy and it worked for about 2 seconds. She knows that when she is put in her crate that we are leaving so she pays no mind to the treats or toy. Should i take the toy down and give it to her?:confused:

jessi76
August 9th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I tried tieing the kong with ziggies to the top of the crate to distract my Roxy and it worked for about 2 seconds. She knows that when she is put in her crate that we are leaving so she pays no mind to the treats or toy. Should i take the toy down and give it to her?:confused:

I don't know what a "ziggie" is, but tying the kong to the crate scares me for a few reasons.. whatever you tied it with can be undone and be a choking hazard or worse, do damage if ingested and/or the dog can injure itself trying to free the kong.

just put a simple treat in the kong and let your dog chew on it in the crate. be sure to get a kong that is big enough - you dog should not be able to fit the entire kong in it's mouth. if he can, you need a larger kong.