Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm glad I only have one cat that's outdoors

clm
August 6th, 2007, 02:44 PM
My big black stray Max did a disappearing act for a day. I didn't see him at all yesterday, he's always at the front door waiting for breakfast at 5:30 and no Max. No Max for dinner last night either, and trust me, I was looking all over for him in between. At least in winter he likes to come in at night, but spring, summer and early fall, if it's over 10 celcius, he won't come in.
He adopted me, not the other way around, gotta be at least 5 years ago now, he's not a young cat, I'm guessing at least 10 - 12 years old. I've tried keeping him as an indoor cat at the beginning, but he wasn't adjusting, so he comes and goes as he pleases. I feed him, take him to the vet every year, he has 3 cat houses outside and he can come in if he wants to. But it's not an ideal situation, I worry sick when he disappears, and one day I know, he may not come back. :sad:
I don't know how people can start letting kittens outside. I've got 3 indoor girls now, all got as tiny kittens, 2 from a rescue and one as a stray my previous two boys I had for 18 years, both got as kittens, and none of them has been outdoors except for the stray kitten, she's been a struggle to keep in earlier this summer, but has now settled down and is very happy indoors. :D

Here's a pic of my big lug as he's walking across the waterfall to come for a pat. I was so happy to see him this morning. He's sleeping up in the rock garden right now, under his favorite shrub. Goodness know's what he's been up to, but he stuffed his face and he's all tuckered out. :rolleyes:

Cindy

Frenchy
August 6th, 2007, 03:09 PM
He's a beauty clm ! Thanks for caring and taking care of him. :angel: Maybe he found another family that feeds him ? Then he comes back to your place "looking" hungry so you won't feel jealous :D

mummummum
August 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'd be worried sick every minute he was out of sight. There are just too many horrible things that could befall him ~ look at the Chico's friend with their little orange cat found torn to shreds. Or all the cats and wildlife I see dead by the side of road here in the city everyday. Nope, I couldn't handle it at all. :2cents:

clm
August 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM
He's a beauty clm ! Thanks for caring and taking care of him. :angel: Maybe he found another family that feeds him ? Then he comes back to your place "looking" hungry so you won't feel jealous :D

:laughing: He actually does get treats from a neighbour a few doors down. I think he gets locked into peoples garages accidently sometimes.

mummummum, my husband tells me how nuts I am for looking all over for him when he's missing and then I see him out looking for him when he thinks I'm not looking :laughing: We have coyotes around here and loads of raccoons, I too see dead cats on the road all the time, it's scary alright. There are a few nights of every year he has no choice, like it or not he stays in, halloween and any time there are going to be fireworks. I'm glad he's picked us to live with anyway, even if he insists on doing it on his terms. :rolleyes:
Now come the cold weather, he either prefers to stay in or he's in his favorite cat house snuggled in his down comforter :sleepy: so I always know where he is in the winter months.

Cindy

jiorji
August 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM
awww that's so cute!!

glad he's back home. :cloud9: