Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty litter experiment take two

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Okay, so last week I bought the Dynamic Duo some Feline Pine. The store I went to didn't have the Swheat Scoop, so knowing the FP was natural as well, I gave it a go. I was surprised how much lighter it is than other kitty litter.

I put some in the box downstairs, and waited for about a week. Nothing. Neither Vlad or Oksana wanted anything to do with it, even though I'd mixed it with the other litter. Hmm...they knew something was up.

Okay, fine, so yesterday I decided to try the Swheat Scoop, since they had it when I got them their food at the pet store. I also got them a new bigger box, and dumped the Litter Maid. I did the same thing as with the Feline Pine. As of this morning, nothing. The box upstairs is getting a lot of use, but they won't even go near the other one. I'm going to give it another few days. But if they don't even go near it after a week, I'm going to have to just stick with the Fresh Step.

I'm really hoping they warm up to the Swheat Scoop. I really want them to have a natural litter, but I can't force them into it. When Oksana had her cut, the litter was one of my biggest concerns. Her cut is healing very well btw. The ointment the vet gave me is working very well. And my sweet Little Miss isn't even making a fuss anymore when I give her the antibiotic. She's such a sweet little kitty.:lovestruck: Her brother on the other hand is soon going to get the nickname "THE CLAW!"

SableCollie
August 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I used to cat-sit for people that tried to switch to swheat scoop, they filled one box with it, and then had several others with regular litter. The cats would not go near the swheat scoop box for months! Then one day, one of the cats decided to use it, and after that they all started using it. Cats are so weird. :D The swheat scoop does sort of smell like bread dough when it gets wet though, which is kind of an odd smell for a litter box....better than what it could smell like I guess!

I hope your kitties decide to try it out, regular litter is kind of scary, especially the cheap silica clay kind.

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Yikes, months? I hope it doesn't take them THAT long. But I'm hopefully. I really do home they like it. I just don't like all that dust for them, and when Oksana was cut I didn't like knowing she might get infected if that stuff got on her.

Hey, like you said, I'd rather it smell like bread than the other!:laughing:

krdahmer
August 7th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Unlike food, you don't mix the litters. Mine won't use a mixed litter at all either. You just change it over, I have never had a problem with doing it that way. They are just using the old stuff out of habit, as long as its mixed together and smells weird they won't even try it. And if they are still stubborn you just pick them up and place them in the box, gently rubbing their front paws in it. As soon as they see that it feels the same they will start using it. Oh and don't leave them any of the old stuff out at all.

ancientgirl
August 7th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Well, I decided to add more of the Swheat Scoop on top of what I added before. I'm going to see what it looks like when I get home and I'll do what you suggested, and put them in there.

Heck, you'd think that out of the fact its conveniently there, they'd use it instead of having to go all the way up the stairs to the other one. LOL, but then they like running up and down those stairs.

Oksana took a flying leap from like the 5th step, to the couch! That's a good 5 foot jump. She looked so cute. Like a little tiny panther leaping at its prey.

growler~GateKeeper
August 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM
The websites for various litter brands say to put around an inch of the new litter at the bottom of the box & pour the current litter on top that way the cat thinks its the same stuff then they mix it themselves when they scoop & they aren't freaked out initially by the change. You can then gradually stop the current litter & have all the new stuff in there :shrug: Although each cat is different, maybe you could try this w/one box & see how it works?

ancientgirl
August 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM
It turns out, I've had some success!

I came home this afternoon and the Little Miss was using it! Then big brother came after her to do the same.

So I'm very happy! Tomorrow I'll go out and get enough to fill both boxes and I can start using that full time.

I'm so happy they like it. I've been wanting something more natural for them, and less dusty.

krdahmer
August 8th, 2007, 09:10 AM
:thumbs up :highfive:

ancientgirl
August 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I'm just thrilled! I'd hoped they would take to it and they have. Now I can have the peace of mind knowing they are at least using litter that is natural. Vlad still likes to lay in the litter box now and then, so at least this stuff isn't dusty and if he decided to have a snack, LOL, I won't feel he's being harmed.

onster
August 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I'm glad ure kitties decided to use the new litter ancientgirl :thumbs up

Just wondering though, natural litters like swheat scoop don't clump do they? If not, then wouldnt u have to change the litter alltogehter very frequently else it would have pee in it all the time? Just wondering cuz I'm thinking of changing my kitties litter as well..

ancientgirl
August 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Oh yes, both Feline Pine AND Swheat Scoop clump. No worries there. I wish they'd liked the Feline Pine, because its light to carry LOL. But the Swheat Scoop is still natural and good for them, so I'm glad they at least liked that one. Took a few days but they're on board.:thumbs up

If you can give it a try.

onster
August 8th, 2007, 06:15 PM
oh they do clump? Awesome!! that was partly why i didnt want to try natural stuff...i love my clumping litter. Sorry this is also bit of a weird question..but u know how regular clumping litter gets so heavy after its soiled, does the natural litter also get that heavy? hahaha i ask beause we have the litter boxes in the basement and we tend to scoop the poo into little bags and throw them in a huge garbage bag we keep in the basement too ( ok, were lazy..but noone stays in the basement!) and put this bag out come garbage day. Now we accidently missed garbage day last week....lets just say i felt very sorry for the garbageman today. That bag was HEAVY! I kinda felt bad for mother nature too...since im guessing its not too biodegredable.

ancientgirl
August 8th, 2007, 07:26 PM
LOL, yeah it gets heavy too. I have little trash bags in my upstairs bathroom, so in the morning, I'll scoop that box, then I'll come down and scoop the downstairs bathroom. When I get home I do the same routine. This way there's no "stuff" fermenting in their box and I know they're at least not trying to always find a clean spot to do their business.

Just make sure the box says clumping, because I think the Feline Pine has both. Clumping and Non-clumping.

And I've noticed that when I scoop the Swheat Scoop, not only isn't it dusty, but it smells like yeast or something. So it neutralizes the odor. I'd try the Swheat Scoop first. I tried the Feline Pine and my kitties didn't go near it. Not even when I first put it in the box, which they are usually really curious about. But at least with the Swheat Scoop they were sniffing and stuff. And I think Vlad even took a taste LOL. But its made from wheat, so I don't feel bad about him um...snacking.

That was my big worry before. The fact I've seen him snack on it now and then, not to mention he's always laying in it. This has no dust and its natural, so I feel good about having them use it.

Stacer
August 8th, 2007, 09:55 PM
congrats on the litter success! lol. I think I've tried nearly every litter on the market, I'm lucky though, my kitties don't bat an eye at a change in litter. I loved the Swheat Scoop, we went off it for a while because it's so expensive.

Onster, Swheat Scoop is flushable, so you don't have to worry about stinking up the garbage or breaking the garbage man's back.

onster
August 9th, 2007, 05:39 AM
mmmm kittylitter, lol...kitties are so funny ancientgirl and ures sound like quite the characters! I l-o-v-e their names btw!!

lol well my little brother and I ended up trying to split the litter into 2 bags to make it easier for the garbage man and us...ummm ya, not a good idea. The lil bro has a very strong gag reflex, makes comments like "oh, HELLLLL No, i am NOT touching No kitttty poooo....AHHHH IT Touched me, I am never gonna eat from this hand again!!) which left us both giggling/ huffing and puffing for an hour over this 30kg bag of poo! ok, i admit it, so my mom and dad are on vacation and responsible me forgot garbage day for 2 weeks in a row :yuck: haha ok thats enough :sorry: :offtopic:

Good job Vlad and Oksana!!:highfive:

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM
LOL, yeah that litter does get heavy but since Stacer said it was flushable, then all the better.

I've always love the name Vladimir, so when I got him he just looked like a Vlad. Then of course I've always loved the name Oksana too, so I figured I'd just keep up the Russian named kitties theme.

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
ancientgirl just wanted to say congrats on the change over :highfive: & a thank you to you & all others who posted in your original kitty litter rec thread, you were in part (the other part was an unusually dusty last bag of clay) responsible for opening my eyes to the possibility of changing my stubborn girls litter. I had mentioned in the previous thread she wouldn't use the swheat scoop, but someone had mentioned the pine - so I started thinking & checking it online, bought a bad of the pine pellets yesterday - put it out & after a very very minor reluctance she's using the pine pellets!!.

So thanks for the indirect (cuz they weren't originally for me:D ) suggestions everyone :D

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
OH yay for you and your kitties too! I'd been thinking about the Feline Pine first, but then saw that the Swheat Scoop was also an alternative. The dust free idea was something I liked, not to mention knowing that if they decided to nibble on it it would not be bad for them.

I have to say, LOL, I would have liked for them to have chosen the Feline Pine, because the box is really not heavy at all, but alas the Dynamic Duo have made their choice.

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I think part of the reason Duffy has accepted the pine is my parents had 2 now only 1 huge pinetree in their backyard, so here in the apt she still has a wee bit o' tree :D. The pellets are also dust free & very little tracking, I read some comments from people not liking the pine smell but it is very very subtle & I like Pine Tree smell anyway.

Yay for both of us :laughing:

http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/8.gif

:crazy:

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM
:laughing: better the smell of pine than poop.

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :thumbs up :laughing:

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
This is off topic, but I noticed you have Duffy's got Tortidue under your username. How did you do that? All mine says is Senior member.

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 07:07 PM
hehe it's your own thread so you can jack it all you like :D

Go in to User CP, Edit Profile, it's near the top of the page Edit Custom User
Title - you can put what you want ~ just keep it clean :laughing:

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Cool thanks! I just changed it. :thumbs up