Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi I'm new and need help

Mary-Michael
August 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Hi I am new to the site and I am hoping you can help me figure out what is wrong with my neighbors dog. She lives at my house 99% on the time. Here are her symptoms:
Female Rot has hair loss spots on back, itches, does not appear painful, no draining, does not appear very irritated, within 2 days she has a large (8X10) swollen area on back, feels like fluid and warm to touch. Advice?
We tried to give her a penicillin shot last night but she bit at my husband. We won't try that again!

LavenderRott
August 6th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I certainly wouldn't give her a shot of anything withou consulting a vet. In 30 years of owning dogs, I have never had a vet prescribe peniscillin for anything.

She really needs to see a vet. If a vet says that she is healthy, I would start looking at diet. But only after seeing a vet.

hazelrunpack
August 6th, 2007, 09:11 AM
A vet is definitely in order. Sounds like something major going on, but not necessarily an infection. There are many serious skin conditions that have similar symptoms to what you're describing but until you know exactly what it is, you won't be able to treat it effectively and you might even end up hurting your neighbor's dog.

So, first order of business: an evaluation by a vet. :thumbs up

jessi76
August 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Advice?
We tried to give her a penicillin shot last night but she bit at my husband. We won't try that again!

my advice is stop trying to self-medicate and get to a vet. Self medicating is VERY dangerous. assuming a dog needs penicillin is wrong - only a qualified vet should be prescribing medication, after a thorough exam.

Mushka
August 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I'm on board with everyone else here. Definitely bring the dog to see the vet.