Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

training dog to ring bell?

anneh
August 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM
When we adopted our boy last year he scratched at the door to go out from the beginning. I thought this was a great idea and very clever of him until the paint started coming off the door (inside and outside) :wall: . A dog door is not possibly (french doors) so wondering if anyone has had any real luck training them to ring a bell? I saw some expensive bells at a fancy pet store but they have a loop that goes over the door handle and not sure if it would work for mine, its a lever type handle instead of a round door knob. Thanks for any help:grouphug:
anneh

LavenderRott
August 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM
How about hanging the bell on a hook next to the door?

And yes, with consistency and praise - it can be done.

mindis12
August 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Yes we had our Springer Spaniel Barnie trained to ring the bell. He was such a card, and having so much fun he began too yoodle and wag his tail saying hey Ma Look at me....:dog:

want4rain
August 6th, 2007, 11:23 AM
yep! we bell trained Mister and its gone soooooo well. as a puppy, i hung a bell on the door nob that hung at his nose level. every time we took him out we kinda lifted him until his nose touched the bell, eventually he would ring it on his own. as he got larger we had him jumping on the door to see in the window so i hung up ia bunch of my daughters art work up on it to block his sight. that prevented him from jumping up to see in.

whats really great about the bell is not only do they NOT jump on the door to get in but we can take his bell anywhere with us and he knows how to tell us he has to go out. :)

-ashley

mindis12
August 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Yup; Gots tu love it... Nothing like hav'n fun with your pup... My girls run circles around the door when they have to go out.. Which is cool.. But the bell was much neater. Deb

Pepsi'smom
August 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Ive had success training 2 different dogs to ring the bell. a doxie and a choc. lab. (we use a clerk type bell that you would see at a hotel) anyways, we first taught them to ring the bell for a treat saying "bell" and putting the paw on the bell. anytime id hear that bell ring id go crazy with praise and treats. i then moved on the teach them that when the bell is rung, the door opens. I would say "bell" and they would ring it (one uses his paw, the other he nose) and lots of praise and the door would open, I would let them run out for a minute and come back and and start over. repeat. ect. Ive never had a problem since. :)

p.s. its really great when they REALLY got to go, instead of one little "ding!" you hear "dingdingdingDINGDING!!!"

JanM
August 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm in the same boat as you are, anneh - Bobby scratches the door and I've had to repaint it - most recently about 2 weeks ago. This thread has given me the impetus to train him to ring a bell! I have an extra bear bell so I'll use that.

Bobby is 3 now so I hope it won't be a major problem to retrain him but I'll give it a try.

anneh
August 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks to all for input, will definitely give it a try. Where did you get the bear bell? I know I have seen some cheap bells somewhere in the past but cannot think where to get them
annehI'm in the same boat as you are, anneh - Bobby scratches the door and I've had to repaint it - most recently about 2 weeks ago. This thread has given me the impetus to train him to ring a bell! I have an extra bear bell so I'll use that.

Bobby is 3 now so I hope it won't be a major problem to retrain him but I'll give it a try.

want4rain
August 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
i live in the US, you can get them at any camping store. i made mine and while the bear bells are inexpensive, i didnt want to put a nail in the door or the wall near the door. the chances of it getting ripped out pretty high. i took a few bells from a craft store that were the size of sled bells and tied them to a few pieces of yarn and hung it on the door. just be care to not slam it in the door!!

-ashley

JanM
August 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I got the bear bells at a local tack shop (where you buy horsey stuff)... they had lots of them so if you have one close to you, give them a try. They are quite big - they're made to be attached to a saddle but they work well for dogs too..