Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ideal cat proportions??

Dogastrophe
August 5th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I'm trying to find some info on the ideal body proportions for cats. Gracie eats quite well and is still keeping trim however other than the obvious 'fat cat' look I don't know what the ideal look should be (I want to avoid her becoming a fat cat! :thumbs up ). I can tell with my pups whether they are staying within an ideal weight range but not sure if cats follow the same rule of thumb.

Suggestions?

jiorji
August 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM
we need new Gracie pics:thumbs up

ideally, a cat's tummy shouldn't exceed the hips. If the stomach is much rounder, then she's overweight. It should be a straight line almost from her hips, then slightly round at the stomach. My vet had this chart in her office and showed me. ALso, there's a range of what a normal weight cat is and what is overweight. So she can still be rather full but still normal but closer to overweight.My peanut is reaaaaaaaaaaally close to crossing that line:o hehe

Frenchy
August 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Monsieur le chat is pretty fit at 12 pounds. But he's "small framed" :p

Dogastrophe
August 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I know. I've been pretty negligent in pulling the camera out lately (or transferring the ones on it to the computer). :sorry:

I've been trying to get a shot of Gracie, Jack and Lucy all sleeping on the bed together and one of Gracie and Jack playing with each other from opposite sides of the curtain. She looovvess to play with Jack but tends to give Lucy a very wide berth (on occasion she thinks she hears Jack coming down the hall and will jump out at "him" only to find it's Lucy. It is quite amusing to see the eyes bug out of her head as she looks for the nearest passage to safety :D ).

So getting back to my original question, when she walks it appears that her tummy is hanging a bit so I was unsure if it was normal or fat. Looking at her top down, she is not wider than her hips.

jiorji
August 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
my cats have bellies too. I hear that females get that pouch after they get spayed.

jessi76
August 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM
the IDEAL cat body proportions are the complete opposite of what my own 2 furry beasts look like.... :rolleyes:

chico2
August 6th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Cats,like people are all different,my Rocky at 16lb(before Hyperthyroidism)was ideal,now(12lb's) I can feel his bones,he's a bigboned cat..
Vinnie is a chub at almost 18lbs,but it hardly shows,he too is a big cat(my excuse:laughing: )
Chico is perfect at 16lb's but tummy is hanging a bit.:cat:
These pics show it pretty good...
Ignore the messy yard,it's from early spring:laughing:

krdahmer
August 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Aw... little helpers...:lovestruck:

Mine are also all different shapes. I have two where I can feel bones, three that are just perfect and one big BIG boy (just like mom:rolleyes: ).

There is a chart somewhere that you can use to compare (from crappy food I think but helpful none the less)... let me see if I can find it...

http://www.placervillevet.com/feline%20body%20condition.htm

Yep thats it... hope thats helpful! :D

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM
My vet has this poster, with a dog and a cat and it says that you should be able to feel your cat's ribs slightly, that means they aren't overweight. The last time I took them in the vet I saw also told me that's usually a good way to just feel and tell. I was concerned, since Oksana (in her 4th month) weighs 4.5 lbs, and Vlad (in his 5th month) who is only a month older than her is tipping the scales at nearly 9 pounds! He's also got like this flappy pouch of skin on his belly, near his hind legs, which the doctor said is normal in male cats.

I'm sure if your kitty doesn't have a huge belly, she's probably normal.

chico2
August 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM
My vet says she likes to keep any male cat at 12lb's,that I don't understand,since I've never had a male cat weighing only 12lb's:laughing:
Rocky does now,but he's sick..:sad:

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Let me tell you, when I saw your pictures, I thought HOLY COW, are those house cats or am I looking at a picture of some cat park in Africa.

Your cats are huge! Big boys!

LOL, one of my vets said Vlad would most likely be a big kitty. I suspect he's right. Oksana however, will be this little dainty kitty.

chico2
August 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
:laughing: I LOVE big cats,of course I love all cats,but prefer big kitties:lovestruck:
I had a Maine Coon cat once many years ago,he topped the scale at 20lb's and he was not fat,just big and beautiful.

ancientgirl
August 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Hey, if they are healthy that's great. Nothing like a good solid kitty. I know mine aren't close to being fat. I do know males are usually bigger than females, so I won't worry if Oksana is always a little smaller than Vlad.

chico2
August 6th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Yes,girl cats are usually much smaller,I had a little Tortie once and she was a mere 8lb's,but was she ever bossy:laughing:

jessi76
August 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Yes,girl cats are usually much smaller

my 2 girls must of missed that memo....:laughing:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/DSCN0308.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/DSCN0158.jpg

jiorji
August 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM
mine too:o

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/guineaPIGgirl/Picture451s.jpg

jessi76
August 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM
awww! Your Peanut and my Lulu look so much alike! beautiful calico!

sorry for the minor threadjack...

krdahmer
August 6th, 2007, 11:44 PM
OOOOoooo there's a colour I don't have one of yet... Calico, they're so pretty.... :lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
August 6th, 2007, 11:49 PM
OOOOoooo there's a colour I don't have one of yet... Calico, they're so pretty.... :lovestruck:

:sorry: :offtopic: krdahmer can you post a new thread w/ pics of yours I'd like to see them. Perhaps it's time for #7 Calicos are awesome - Mischief :angel: :cat: was a Calico point Siamese cross :D

chico2
August 7th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Jesse,Jiorji..:laughing: :laughing: yeah,I'd say they are a pleasantly plump,but awwww so pretty:cat:
I just went out and chased away a Calico from up the street,before Rocky got in to an attack mode:yell:

She's a longhaired Calico,can't understand why I don't want her checking my boys out in the window:laughing: