Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help!

kraaslone
August 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I have a male kitten that is around 3 1/2 to 4 months old and he will not eat. We took him to the vet about three days ago where he had his rabies shot and then they gave us a pill to cruch up in his food to deworm him. Well he does not like to travel so he got sick to his stomach, so he didn't have an appetite much that evening. He did eat some yesterday morning but he hasn't eaten anything since then. I tried giving him the same food that he has eaten for months and then I gave him some can food, then I even bought a different kind of dry food and he still won't eat it. I noticed today that his stool is watery so I thought maybe he has the diahrrea. But I am not sure so I was wondering if anyone here could help me please!

moo_cow_2007
August 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
:sorry: :shrug: :cat: did you try to give him tuna?:lightbulb:

Dr Lee
August 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
A cat who will not eat is a serious situation. I would recommend that you 1) make a recheck appointment with your veterinarian as soon as possible, 2) but Nutrical or Lickables (any type of meal replacement, both the these come in molasses like substance and can be easily used in assisted feeding) and 3) continue to assist/force a small amount of the nutrical, or like substance at least three times daily until your appoinment.

Is he drinking? If not, you will need to help with that as well.

Sometimes something simple as antibiotics is all that is needed.

Other options to making food more appetizing - most cats prefer wet food. Warming it up. Adding low sodium chicken broth.

Unfortunately - a cat who won't eat really does need to see the vet again. Good luck:pawprint:

sugarcatmom
August 5th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Chicken baby food (meat only, no onions) might also be something to try, most cats love it and it's easy on the digestive system. You can add warm water to it to for extra fluid intake and to increase the aroma. It can also be easily syringe fed, if you have to go that route (short-term only as it's not a balanced diet). But absolutely a vet appointment needs to be made, anorexia and cats are a bad combo. It can become a vicious circle where the cat feels nauseous because it hasn't eaten, and it doesn't eat because it feels nauseous. If nothing else is physically wrong, perhaps an appetite stimulant like cyproheptadine will help to jump-start things. Good luck!