Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog has liver disease

missymoo
August 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Hi all, i'm new, and feel quite alone in what i'm experiencing.:sad:

My beautiful dog, missy, has been diagnosed with liver cancer/cirrhosis, she has a bloated tum (the vet said her body should absorb the fluid), and he's put her on a special diet, canine l/d, however, she won't eat it, and she's getting really boney, so i folded and gave her a can of caesar senior, which she gobbled up, i'm so confused, if it's cancer then she has a few weeks left with us, is it worth the trauma of changing her diet? I think not.

If it's cirrhosis then we maybe lucky and get a year out of her on the diet, but if she doesn't eat it then she'll die of starvation within a few weeks, and i can't watch her not eat.:shrug:

Has anyone been through what we are going through?

It's breaking my heart knowing that my beautiful girl is going to die.:sad:

What would you do in my shoes, and if anyone has been through what i'm going through what can i expect?:confused:

She looks so uncomfortable with her bloated tum, seeing her like this is killing me, yet she is in no pain, she comes for a fuss, walks on her lead for an hour a day, and barks when someone knocks at the door.:dog:

The vet said he's never seen a liver like my missy', when he opened her up he said it was covered in cysts, and her liver was breaking away as he touched it, apparently she doesn't have much liver function left, yet she's not jaundiced.:sad:

It's hard for me to understand, i love my miss so much.:sad:

Lord, please keep missy from pain, may her time with us be happy and her passing be peaceful, in the name of jesus, amen.:sad:

sugarcatmom
August 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
So sorry to hear about Missy, I hope you have more time with her than you think. I don't have any firsthand experience with liver cancer, but I do know of some supplements that can help with liver function. Ask your vet about Milk Thistle (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Brochures/Marin%20Brochure.pdf) and/or Denosyl (http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/animal/liver/liver.asp).

As far as food goes, even the best food in the world is no good if Missy won't eat it. It's important that she eat. Is it the canned or dry L/D that you're feeding her? If it's dry, perhaps she'd prefer the canned. Or maybe you can find another low quantity, high quality protein food that she does like (I don't know of any offhand as I'm more familiar with feline diets than canine, but perhaps someone else on the board has some suggestions).

In the meantime, just love your girl to bits and savour every moment. :grouphug:

missymoo
August 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Thankyou for your reply and kind words, missy is on the canned food, i'm going to speak to the vet tomorrow and see what he says, as you said the best food in the world is no good to her if she won't eat it xxx:pray: xxx

chico2
August 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM
missymoo,what a sad post:cry:
I also know nothing about livercancer,but I would make the rest of her life as happy and comfortable as I can,as long as it does no harm.
Eating is normally a pleasure for our pets and I would feed her whatever she likes,a high protein good quality canned food,there are many to choose from at a pet-supply store.
I am really sorry,I know your heart is breaking,as would mine be,hopefully you'll still have a long time with Missy:pray:

Dr Lee
August 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM
With regard to the milk thistle and denosyl - there is a new combination called denamarin which is denosyl (SAMe) and Marin (the active ingredient to milk thistle) and also includes the vitamin components and zinc for liver support. Makes it easier!

Dr Lee
August 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I am sorry to hear about what missy is undergoing. Luckily liver cirrhosis is non-painful. The l/d is not the most tasty of diets as it is and the liver disease can lead to some naseau - so feeding can be difficult.

Some of the members here may have some alternate food suggestions. Here are the characteristics of l/d and what to look for in other diets:
1) high digestibility especially with regard to the protein and carbs. Low overall protein
2) Antioxidants (vitamin E, Vitamin C, selenium)
3) low sodium which can help reduce the fluid in the tummy
4) high carnitine help improve fat metabolism in the liver
5) solube fiber helps bind bile acids and other toxins which can help her feel better
6) added vitamin K and zinc

Also there are many other medications which can help Missy feel better and live longer: lactulose which helps reduce blood ammonia levels which occur with liver failure and lead to depression and disorientation, ursodiol which helps prevent cholestasis in liver disease, and the aforementioned denosyl (SAMe) and Marin. Some are not indicated depending on the blood tests and biopsy results - ask your veterinarian which ones may be right for Missy.

I have had many patients feel much, much better and live longer when on liver supportive enzymes. They can really help.

I hope this helps. :pawprint:

sways_bodyguard
August 6th, 2007, 11:14 AM
oh im so sorry to hear about this :sorry:
i just wanted to come in here and wish you both well & offer hope for the best possible outcome.

hazelrunpack
August 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
:grouphug: So sorry to hear about missy. I have no advice to offer, either, except to love her to pieces. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

missymoo
August 10th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hi all, firstly i'd like to thank you all for your kind words, it means alot.:cry:

And sadly missy's liver has failed,:cry: she's totally off her food and so going annorexic, and the vet drained 5 litres of fluid out of her tum, we can't put her through anymore, thankfully she's not in pain, she's very lethargic and tired, so we've made the painful decision to pts, this wasn't an easy decision and it's breaking my heart knowing that come tomorrow lunch time she'll no longer be with us,:sad: i'm just devastated that she's so young and has this terrible illness, and i've been racking my brain wondering what could've caused this,:confused: in the spring she did accidently eat an antihistamine, could this have caused her cancer? Or am i just trying to find something to blame? I just pray for the strength to be there for her when she passes, shes been the most wonderful girl and there will never be another missy.:cry:

I love you missy, thank you for bringing us so much joy and happiness, your love new no bounds, just head for that rainbow bridge and shadow will be waiting, we will never forget our misskey pisskey, xxxxx:cry: xxxxx

Love4himies
August 10th, 2007, 12:54 PM
This is so sad I have started to cry. Poor Missy, poor you. :grouphug:

chico2
August 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Oh,I am so sorry,it's so sad,even I am crying for you and Missy..
I've been present every time any of my animals was pts,I found it comfortimg in a strange way and felt I should be the last person they see..it's not a painful procedure(other than for you),it's somehow peaceful.
I'll keep you and Missy in my thoughts tomorrow,you love her and fought for her life and she knows it.

Tommysmom
August 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I am so sorry... our thoughts are with you :grouphug: .

sways_bodyguard
August 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
missy-

thought i would share this link i was given...
it is a home cooked recipe that dr. dodds gave me to use on my dog who is dealing with AIHA-
she is a big proponent of protecting the liver and i think it would help you guys for sure :)

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/liver_diet.htm

budboybudboy77
August 10th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear that ,hope she gets better!:sorry:

clm
August 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM
:rip: I'm so sorry about Missy. I've been there with my beautiful Freddie and my sweet Yogi :rip: and it's so so hard. My heart goes out to you. :cry:

Cindy

hazelrunpack
August 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Missymoo, I'm so sorry for what you're going through :grouphug:

Don't blame yourself...these things sometimes just happen. No rhyme or reason...

You've loved her and she's loved you back, and you've built sweet memories together. That's what matters. She'll wait for you at the bridge :grouphug:

Our thoughts are prayers are with you, Missy and missymoo :candle:

rainbow
August 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I am so sorry. It's never easy making that decision. :grouphug: :grouphug: