Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat no longer able to jump

Apricot
August 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Hello. My 2 year old cat has refused to jump any higher than a chair this entire week. He's seemingly healthy (not overweight at all), still interested in food, and has no trouble walking, jumping down, or engaging in any other of his usual activities. It's odd that he no longer jumps because up until this week he was an amazing jumper, and loved being as high as possible. Now to get anywhere high he uses his front legs to pull himself up. The few times he tried to jump on to a dresser or table, he failed and fell (which has never happened before). The only difference in his health is that he's getting over a cold (sneezing, stuffy nose) that he caught from my other cat, who caught her cold when we took her to the vet several weeks ago. For the most part, he seems recovered from his cold, but could it be that he has stuffy ears or something that is impairing his balance/jumping skills? Any other suggestions? Should I take him to the vet, even though he seems healthy otherwise?

Thanks!
Apricot

krdahmer
August 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Any change in regular routine can point to something being wrong, if you say he missed a couple jumps he may have been off balance due to the cold and possibly hurt himself. Since there is no visible limp or other change in behaviour./ eating /etc, the problem could very well heal itself and he'll be back to jumping when he feels better. It wouldn't hurt though to have a vet check him over to be sure there are no injuries. Most vets have a reduced fee for a quick check up, when they are just feeling for something specific, say his hind legs. I would guess the resp. infection (cold) did affect his ears and he's just not too confident having fallen twice already. Did you take him to the vet for the cold?

Apricot
August 4th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for your reply. I didn't take him to the vet for his cold. My other cat, who is also the same age but by nature less active, seemed to get over her cold quickly and with no lingering symptoms, so I assumed when he caught her cold the same would happen. He's actually much better now, in terms of the cold, and only sneezes occasionally. We've been spending the summer in another town, away from our usual vet, and the vet here isn't as helpful (and expensive!). However, if the problem persists, I will take him to this vet.

Thanks again.

Chris21711
August 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Some years ago the same happened to one of our cats. Apparently it was due to an injury to his tail that was not visible. The vet told me that their tail has a lot to do with their balance, she said it could have been in the way of a closing door or something of that nature. Have you noticed if he is carrying his tail down rather than up?

Apricot
August 5th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. His tail seems fine, and when I ran my hands over it, it didn't seem to bother him that I was touching it. But who knows! What did the vet suggest for your cat's tail? Did it heal on its own or did it need to be treated?

Thanks.

NoahGrey
August 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Cats do not get colds.

One of the things they can get is Upper respitory infection. Which sneezing is one symptom of the virus. You mentioned that he was conjested. He is also having nazel discharge? or are his eyes groopy? It is highly contagious through cats. It is also a air born disease. If you are in contact with a cat with URI, change clothes before you go home to your pets. If you don't have a change of clothes, throw them right way in the wash at home.

You also mentioned that he got it from another cat, that got at the vets. URI is a freqent problem at Vets. Have you spoken to your vet?

ACO22

cheribob
August 6th, 2007, 03:24 AM
I recently noticed that my cat could not jump. Like your cat he was an olympic jumper. I took him to the vet and it turned out to be an UTI.

Has your cat been to the vet yet?

Apricot
August 6th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Cats do not get colds.

One of the things they can get is Upper respitory infection. Which sneezing is one symptom of the virus. You mentioned that he was conjested. He is also having nazel discharge? or are his eyes groopy? It is highly contagious through cats. It is also a air born disease. If you are in contact with a cat with URI, change clothes before you go home to your pets. If you don't have a change of clothes, throw them right way in the wash at home.

You also mentioned that he got it from another cat, that got at the vets. URI is a freqent problem at Vets. Have you spoken to your vet?

ACO22

I'm not really worried about my cats' colds. They both seem to be over them. By the way, a cold is just a colloquial way of saying "upper respiratory infection." When humans get colds, we're basically getting upper respiratory infections as well--viral ones.

Thanks for the suggestions.