Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lepto allergic reaction

jessymoka
August 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Has anyone else's dog had an allergic reaction to the lepto shot?

Our dog just go it today and is read all over and her face is swollen.

The vet is closed now, and I called the emergency vet in our area who told us to give her benedryl.
I am still worried though.

Has anyone else experienced this???????????????????????????

mummummum
August 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Have you tried http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm ~ I have found them helpful.

Dr Lee
August 4th, 2007, 08:27 PM
A lot of people have experienced this with their pets; it is one of the main controversies over the use of the leptospirosis vaccine. The pros of leptospirosis - it is a dangerous bacteria that is life threatening to both dogs and people (can be directly transmitted). Therefore if you live in a leptospirosis endemic area (many tropic and sub-tropic region) then leptospirosis should be considered. The problem with the vaccine is that it has a much higher than normal reaction rate when compared to other vaccines - but ALL vaccines can lead to vaccine reactions.

Benadryl can help stop the release of histamine; however some reactions can certainly become life threatening. Close monitoring is required and if your pet worsens (has any problems breathing, pale gums, weakness or anything remotely serious) - I would bring your pet to the emergency hospital. Many times, medication other than benadryl is needed.

Good luck!:pawprint:

SableCollie
August 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM
My vet believes that lepto shots are the most likely to cause reactions. I hope your dog is okay. :fingerscr

Dr Lee
August 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Have you tried http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm ~ I have found them helpful.

I have had clients rave about the rescue remedy! I have used it myself a long time ago. I don't know its effects with vaccine reactions but i have never heard of any problems from its use.:)

Dobb
August 5th, 2007, 05:43 AM
We had one of our shih zus in for the lepto vaccine a few months ago. In the middle of the nite she woke us up whining and rubbing her face all over the bed. I took her downstairs and saw that her little face was swollen so bad that she could hardly see. I called the emergency number and was talking to a vet who got me to check coloration of gums and describe all her symptoms to him. He was quite certain that she would be alright and to check with our own vet in the morning, or to take her in if she got worse. She was back asleep within 1/2 hr and looked much better in the morning. Our vet said to give her a childrens benadryle an hr before her second half of the shot which was in a couple of weeks. We did that and had no problems at all. We now keep Benadryle on hand for any reactions to shots or bites, etc.
Anyway ,,that was our experience,,Dobb