Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old dog may have tooth problems

GShepherdLove
August 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM
My 14-year-old German Shepherd has recently begun a habit of pawing at his snout and shaking his head a lot. My mom and I think it has to do with his teeth and suspect something is hurting him there, but it's not easy trying to get a good look in his mouth! He can still eat his food and his appetite is normal, so I'm not terribly worried. We gave him a baby aspirin and that seemed to help. Should I still schedule a vet appointment and have her see if one or more of his teeth need to come out? :dog:

chico2
August 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yes,I think his teeth needs to be looked at,bad teeth can cause many other medical problems,better nip it in the bud for this old doggie:dog:

Dr Lee
August 4th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I agree with chico2.

Ask your veterinarian about the baby aspirin. Aspirin inhibits platelet function and most veterinarians will want all aspirins stopped at least two weeks prior to any surgical or dental procedures. The dose to inhibit platelets is twenty times LESS than what is needed to provide pain relief. There are many safer, better pain medications which can be provided by your veterinarian.

Good luck with the dental:pawprint:

badger
August 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I agree in spades, rush to the vet. In my experience, by the time they start pawing at their muzzle, they're really feeling it.