Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A watery adventure . . . . . that was a little too adventurous

Rick C
August 4th, 2007, 04:40 PM
So, earlier today, we headed out west of Longview, Alberta to no place in particular, looking for any convenient point where we might access the Highwood River via permissions used by recreational fishermen . . . . in other words, park on the highway and march across a field - checking for bulls first of course - then seeing if we could get down to the river.

Well, after a walk of about a mile or so, the cliff was pretty steep and Abby and Keeper, with four wheel drive, launched over the side leaving two-wheeled Rick in their dust.

Imagine my horror at the scene below . . . . . Keeper, who had let herself be swept away by the current, surrounded by cliffs and a modest waterfall as she struggles back to the only sandy spot available.

http://www.goldentales.ca/DSC_0326-edit1.jpg

Below, Abby, who had let herself get carried away to another shore with zero exit point, struggled back through the canyon against the current, finally arriving at our beachhead. At one time, I had my National Lifeguard status, the highest qualification in Canada for that kind of thing I believe, but I wasn't looking forward to diving in to rescue Abby and even less to giving her mouth to nose resuscitation if it had come to that!!!!

http://www.goldentales.ca/CSC_0445-edit1.jpg

Below, what's the fuss about? Let's go again!!!

http://www.goldentales.ca/DSC_0360-edit1.jpg

Rested and topside again, Keeper and Abby check out an old homestead now used as a stable.

http://www.goldentales.ca/DSC_0398-edit1.jpg

The big picture, on the way back, what Abby saw . . . . . . I got the impression there might be three or four people - now five - who ever use this walk.

http://www.goldentales.ca/DSC_0429-edit1.jpg

And now . . . . . . I do believe I'll pop a beer and do some reading on the the hammock under the shade of my poplars for the rest of the day.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

clm
August 4th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I think I'd be wanting something stronger than beer after that.
You all got off pretty lucky after your wild water adventure.

Cindy

chico2
August 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM
OMG Rick,how scary,I think you need more than one beer:laughing:
Beautiful pics though:thumbs up

Rick C
August 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM
OMG Rick,how scary,I think you need more than one beer:laughing:
Beautiful pics though:thumbs up

Well, let me qualify . . . . . in the first pic I was a little horrified because that was all I could see of the big picture. For a second there, I thought they had actually dove off a cliff into the water!!!!

But then, rappelling a little lower, I saw that Keeper was about 30 feet from a nice beach, solid ground.

Secondly, Abby had already gone through the canyon chute and was going up on shore on a beach on the other side, already finding dry ground.

But with no exit point, I actually told Abby to swim back through the canyon against the current . . . . at that point Keeper was reaching safety so I only had Abby to worry about on her return trip rather than a dual problem.

Abby is a strong swimmer so I wasn't worried about her. Keeper is a great athlete, better than Abby, but doesn't have the stamina you would think, so my focus was mostly on her.

I think both thought it was a great adventure. It's a good time of year to go there with the stream fairly benign . . . . but definitely a place that would be roaring in the snowmelt of spring and early summer, something to learn from and avoid.

The beer is for the heat of the day.

Cougars, bears, falling through ice, coyotes who bait them through the fence . . . . all those things are higher up on the tension ladder for these two than their odd adventure today. :pray: :thumbs up

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

badger
August 4th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Wait a minute, you were actually rappelling while all this was happening?
I'd just like to cannonball right in next to those dogs, current or no.
You could write and illustrate a fabulous children's book. Abby and Keeper's Adventures. More nature, less video :yell: :yell: :yell:

Rick C
August 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Wait a minute, you were actually rappelling while all this was happening?

Rappelling implies a sheer drop . . . . not the case. Almost, but not quite.

Those who came before us left a rope that extended down about half way . . . . then it was hang on for dear life to shrubs. But still, I landed on my can a few times with the effort . . . . and on the way back up, I had to keep pushing Keeper's bum up the next steps because she couldn't get any gryption. I'd also run about 45 minutes in the morning with an ankle brace and I was still limping with that on as well . . . . injury from a half-marathon a month ago. :sick:

So, when I saw Keeper and no Abby on the way down . . . . it was still slow going.

I'd just like to cannonball right in next to those dogs, current or no.

This place looked like the best swimming hole in the world that no one has ever seen or heard about. Sheer cliffs on both sides into a deep, deep well of crystal clear water, fairly slow moving at this time of year.

Of course, its snow melt water. But further down the river, in High River, which the Highwood floods periodically, this stream is the local equivalent of the beach. A lot more cow pee in it by then though. :highfive:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Lukka'sma
August 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM
The pictures are fantastic Rick. I love the adventures of these dogs!
But what I'm wondering is what do you carry to protect the three of you in the event of meeting a cougar, bear
or coyote.

Frenchy
August 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Below, what's the fuss about? Let's go again!!!

:laughing: I saw the picture before I read the comment , and that's exactly what came to mind :laughing:

hazelrunpack
August 5th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Beautiful scenery in the pictures I could download, Rick. And the water! Looks so inviting if only it weren't so far down! :D (hazel has an issue with heights... :eek: :o)

So is a glacier melt stream cold all year round or does it warm up some once the spring thaw has subsided? (sorry for the ignorance...there are no glaciers that I know of in WI :laughing: ...serious lack of mountains here :p)

TeriM
August 6th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Great day of adventure and gorgeous pictures :cloud9: .

Smiley14
August 6th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Oh, they are brave! I think I would have had a mild heart attack before seeing they were just fine! :laughing: Such gorgeous pics! That scenery is just breathtaking.

wdawson
August 6th, 2007, 09:05 AM
great pics as usual , but you need to find more interesting places to take them:D

Rick C
August 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Oh, they are brave! I think I would have had a mild heart attack before seeing they were just fine! :laughing: Such gorgeous pics! That scenery is just breathtaking.

You might recognize scenery from the fourth and last photo, The Big Picture above, exactly like that from Open Range (Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall), Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood) and particularly Legends of the Fall (Brad Pitt) . . . . as well as the upcoming Jesse James (Brad Pitt) . . . . . all were shot nearby.

Brokeback Mountain was shot a little further north.

Yesterday, we were tramping through the jungle . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/CSC_0575_edited-1.JPG

This morning, Abby listens for mice in the sun dappled, dew-laden tall grass . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/DSC_0651-edit1.jpg

The scene this morning . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/DSC_0615-edit1.jpg

But what I'm wondering is what do you carry to protect the three of you in the event of meeting a cougar, bear or coyote.

The fence deters the coyotes from coming in the yard and prevents Abby and Keeper chasing them.

Nothing for bears and cougars.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

rainbow
August 6th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Awesome pics, as always. :cloud9:

mummummum
August 6th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I stuck some where between OMG WHAT A BLAST and OMG WHAT A LIVING NIGHTMARE ! :D Beautiful scenery though and Abby and Keeper certainly do know the meaning of The Good Life. :laughing:

breeze
August 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
glad everything turn out ok, beautiful pictures rick, I always like seeing your threads :cloud9: what scenery you take the most enchanted pictures