Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old Dog and unexplained fear

disvillain63
August 4th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Our dog is 10 years old; we've had him for 9 years. He has always been an indoor dog, but loved to go outdoors with us or sun himself on the deck on beautiful Spring and Fall days. During his first year with us, he suffered from separation anxiety. We would return home to find bits and pieces of the home destroyed, so we gave him his own special area and it took about a year for him to understand that we'd return. He was extremely easy to housebreak and behavior train; he is a very smart dog. He is part either whippet/greyhound mixed with lab. About two weeks ago, he developed a fear of the outdoors. He literally shakes when he is outdoors and if he is inside and we say 'let's go out', he runs upstairs and hides. He has to be extremely desperate to go outside, even if the whole family is outside. The past few days a new behavior of urinating and defecating in the house has begun. This is even more perplexing because he is doing this in his sleeping areas. We are wondering if anyone knows anything about this. What should we do? Is it time to put him to sleep?

mummummum
August 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Welcome to pets.ca :sorry: your dog is ill.

No, it's not time to put him to sleep but it is time to bring him to the Vet. I suggest that you bring both a pee and poop sample with you to save some time. Count on getting bloodwork done (a full cbc and chem screen) as well. It also sounds like asking for a consult with a neurologist should be a priority ~ what your dog is living with is not normal. :grouphug:

mona_b
August 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I agree with mum.

Just a question..Is he let out for a period of time alone?

The reason I ask is if he has,he may have had some type of bad experience.An animal,a neighbor,kids???????????????