Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Strangles

groomer
August 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Hello there,

I recently just bought a male puppy Jackapoo. He is now 11 weeks old and was diagnosed with ''Puppy Strangles'' a couple weeks ago. He was originally put on predisolone, 4 milligram tablets - 1/4 tablet to be given twice a day, along with two doses of clavamox daily (62.5mg).
Within the first couple days of treatment he really began to pick up.

However, during the last week-or so- his symptoms have returned and worsened. His bum started protruding (our vet said due to his glands swelling - causing about 1cm of his intestines to ''poke-out''), along with his glands under his chin and around his neck swelling. He has also begin to lose his fur around his mouth, nose and eyes. He still goes around like a normal puppy would - eats, drinks, does his business and plays.
I decided to go to see another vet. Who gave him an antibiotic shot and thought we should increase his dose of predisolone to 5 mg, 1 full tablet twice daily. I am a bit skeptical and would like a second opinion.

As I said earlier, the dose he was on earlier did help for a time - but he has stopped responding. He does scratch his face every now and again, but it doesn't seem like he's in much discomfort. It seems as though his glands will not remain a constant size - they'll either grow or shrink within a matter of a couple days - though they have not disappeared. His face (especially around his mouth and eyes) continues to blister.

He is now 11 weeks old and about 4.5lbs, and acts like any other normal puppy would. He was the only puppy in the litter. I just would like to know if upping his dose is going to hurt him, or any other considerations of his future life?

Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks. :o)
-Rachel and 'Earl'

Dr Lee
August 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Hello there,
He was originally put on predisolone, 4 milligram tablets - 1/4 tablet to be given twice a day, along with two doses of clavamox daily (62.5mg)....

I decided to go to see another vet. Who gave him an antibiotic shot and thought we should increase his dose...

I am a bit skeptical and would like a second opinion.


Sounds like two different veterinarians have both agreed on the diagnosis? Am I miss reading this? If so, what is your main concern and reason for another opinion? Is it the entire diagnosis or the dose of medications?

Puppy strangles is diagnosed primarily on clinical signs. Sometimes blood tests, cultures, even biopsies can be performed. The mainstay of the treatment is steroid therapy. Wound care and prophylactic antibiotics are also important. While no veterinarian should like using steroids, in many cases, like puppy strangles it can be the best choice.

Typically high dose (average a mg per pound per day - can vary) is used for 2-4 weeks until signs resolve, then the dose is tapered over a 2-3 weeks and then discontinued. Because the steroid therapy is limited over a couple of months, the long term side effects are usually little to none. One of the keys to this treatment is not to too quickly taper or discontinue the medication as relapses in puppy strangles are often more difficult to treat than the initial outbreak.

Please let me know how else I can help.:pawprint: