Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Privates

mummummum
August 3rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Many of you have not met Ceili
She has an appointment with a dermatologist later this month but I am looking for ways to keep her comfortable between now and then.

She has an over-developed vulva (ya ya boys, I know, I know "I can't hear you", "I can't hear you" :rolleyes: :D ) , has had chronic UTI's and vulva infections. She has had every known (to me) antibiotic which clears it for a day or a week or a month... She has also had an vulva reduction (episiotomy) which well... obviously, since I'm posting ~ didn't "cure". She gets her vulva (aka "woo") washed and dried twice a day.

Her immune system has been lousy from the get-go (she's the dog who gets EVERYTHING). She also takes Gluco/MSM/ Chondroitin; fish oil, mega cranberry extract and... and... I'm sure I'm missing something.

Anyway any thoughts ? The 21st is a ways to go and she defintely is showing signs of infection.

badger
August 3rd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Have you seen a vet with knowledge of homeopathy and herbs, maybe even an acupuncturist? They are sometimes better with chronic ailments than the mainstream (drug-focused) guys. No reflection on your vet. I would want one with a damn good track record, however.

http://www.komvet.at/ivadkom/_canada.htm#ont

Dr Lee
August 3rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
I think an appointment with the dermatologist is a great idea. The top concerns would be: additional surgery is needed, chronic/persistent urinary tract infection or an underlying allergy.

With recurrent vulvar infections, they are going to be either bacterial or yeast related. Topical medications over the counter that can work well are triple antibiotic ointments like neosporin for the bacterial infections or "monistat 7 like" medications for recurrent yeast infections. A trip to your regular veterinarian can yield an impression smear cytology to tell which - then oral antibiotics or antifungals can be dispensed as well. Regular cleaning (white vinegar can work well) which you are doing and topical medications should help keep her comfortable. Is she in any discomfort? licking a lot? Any straining to urinate? What has her urinary tract infection history been?

If she is in a lot of discomfort / there is a lot of inflammation - consider cortisone cream.

Also prior to your visit, let the dermatology clinic know what you are using; they may not want any cortisone cream prior to the visit, etc...

Wishing you both good luck!:pawprint:

Dr Lee
August 4th, 2007, 02:54 PM
BTW - Ceili is super cute! great face!:lovestruck:

rainbow
August 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Mx3, I don't have any advice for you but just wanted to give poor Ceili and you hugs :grouphug: and wish you lots of luck. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: