Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Drinking!!

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I got a kitten on May 3rd, she he has been a really good cat but he crys alot. Alot of his meowing is for attention becuase when I pick him up and love on him he stops for the most part. I was wondering how I should handle that. But also I can not tell if he is drinking or not. I bought him the water bowl that you fill up and than it release the water as the water in the bowl goes down. He is going to the bathroom okay, but I am also feeding him some soft (wet) food with his kitten food. I have tried to put his nose in the water and put my finger in the water and rub it across his mouth but he really does not seem interested. I was wondering if someone could help me with a way to tell if he is drinking or help me try to teach him better or even if I need to get a eye dropper and force him to drink it because I am really concerned. Thank you for your help! :confused:

mona_b
May 13th, 2004, 09:36 AM
How old is your kitten?

The reason he is probably crying is he misses his mom and siblings.And he is also in a new enviroment.

I take it you haven't seen him drinking the water?Does he go to the water dish at all?..On his own I mean.

Cats/kittens don't seem to drink as much.At least that is what I have noticed with mine.I have an 8 month old and an 11 week old kitten.And neither one of them had to be shown how to dring the water.They did it on their own when they are thirsty.

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 09:57 AM
I am not sure he is not that old the man that I got them from they were dropped off at his house. He is eatting good as far as the soft food. He is prolly only two mts old. He has walked over to the water bowl and put his nose down to it but I have never seen him drink anything.

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I am hoping that he is drinking on his own while I am at work and maybe I am just not seeing him. He seems to be doing okay but when my dad was there he was wondering if maybe that was why he cried some of the time. Does your 11 week old kitten cry alot?

Lucky Rescue
May 13th, 2004, 10:04 AM
If you got the kitten on May 3rd, and he's still alive then he must be drinking.

The wet food gives him some moisture. Since this kitten was just dropped off, you don't know what kind of conditions he came from and you really need to take him to the vet for a checkup. He could have worms and/or other parasites.

Do not push his face in the water, or you will make him want to avoid it.

For now measure out the water and put it in a little bowl. At the end of the day, pour the water that is left back into the measuring cup. This way you will know how much he drinks.

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Okay, thank you for your help. I will go home and call the vet and get him right in. As far as his crying what do you think about that?

mona_b
May 13th, 2004, 10:09 AM
She doesn't anymore..

We had to introduce her slowly to my 8 month old kitten.So she had to stay in our bedroom for a bit.She would cry quite a bit.But now she is getting used to this being her home.And the 2 have been somewhat playing...He gets rough with her at times.But then I seperate them for a bit.But she has been good.I can put her in our bedroom alone and she won't cry.But when she hears us when we get home,she will cry.But that's cause she wants out.

If he's going to the water bowl,then I would say he is drinking.

Take away the water bowl you have now.And just put some fresh water in a small bowl.This way you can see if the water is going down.Sometimes it's hard to tell with the one you are using.

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Will do thank you for all your help and I called the vet and I have her an appointment made. He said that he will have to see him to see how old he looks as far as getting him fixed and shots and all that so we will see. If nothing else I will have an idea of how old he is and we can plan from there!

mona_b
May 13th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Post some pics if you can........ :D

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 10:26 AM
How do I post pics on here I am new and just trying to learn how to do things and learn my way around on this website!

mona_b
May 13th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Julie_Me

You are a sick demented B***H

(sorry Marko)

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 10:41 AM
WHAT!!! That is mean! :mad:

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM
I sure hope that you do not own any pets. You are a sick lady! :mad:

mona_b
May 13th, 2004, 10:44 AM
She's a TROLL........... :mad:

Lucky Rescue
May 13th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Please don't feed the trolls, guys.;)

Princesss04
May 13th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Thank you for all your help Mona B. I promise I will not take the advice of the psyco lady. I love my little Tyi and will not let nothing happen to him. I will keep working with him and keep you all updated! :D

Luba
May 13th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Don't feed the trolls lmaoooooooooo

Lucky Rescue
May 13th, 2004, 03:12 PM
The troll has been sent back to her bridge. Sad little lives these people must have.:(

mona_b
May 13th, 2004, 06:37 PM
And I hope she stays there..... :mad:

amaruq
May 13th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Princess can you say the name of your cat...like how it's said? I'm so curious... Is it like Tie? Good luck with little kitty!

Karin
May 13th, 2004, 07:11 PM
The troll has been sent back to her bridge. Sad little lives these people must have.:(

Is this common on this board? It seems so lately. I know with another board I visit when school is out for the summer the kids are stealing time on Dad & Moms computer an wrecking havoc!

We have a different name for them though..lol!

Princesss04
May 14th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Yes my cats name is said like Tie. My little sister came in for a visit and she started calling him that. So it just kind of stuck. :D

Luba
May 14th, 2004, 09:58 AM
It's common as of late Karin but no worries the admin is looking into falsies ;)

Princesss04
May 14th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Is this common on this board? It seems so lately. I know with another board I visit when school is out for the summer the kids are stealing time on Dad & Moms computer an wrecking havoc!

We have a different name for them though..lol!

Here lately it seems to be common LOL! I am not sure what is going on but it seems that some people like to start trouble and make things hard on everyone. So I hope you enjoy, there really are alot of nice people on this board. They are really smart and help you alot. So hang in there and ignore dumb people. :D