Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Red skin neck

someone_crazy
August 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
I have a shih tzu about 3.5 months old recently our vet recommended us to put an e-collar on her (i think tatz what it's called the collar tat prevents him frm licking a wound and all tat) and nw the spot where the collar touches the skin is red from irritation i guess... anh ideas what should i do? i'm from malaysia anyway

bendyfoot
August 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
I've never heard of an e-collar causing skin irritation before. Is it properly fitted? Does she have any skin/contact allergies? How is it being held on (ie. using her collar, some gauze or does it hold itself on). How long has she been wearing it, and why?

Dr Lee
August 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
A common type of e-collar has plastic loops where the tie goes through - if those loops are not bent back enough, they can cause irritation. If that is not the case and your pet needs to keep the e-collar on for a while, then consider another type of e-collar - there are some that have rubber that is on the edge of the collar for comfort. There is also a collar that acts as a brace that is lined. I have also seen some clients tape socks to the inside of the collar to add padding.

For the redness that is present - cortisone cream will help reduce the inflammation and provide comfort. :pawprint:

mummummum
August 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Welcome to pets.ca ! Yes, it is called an e-collar (E stands for "Edwardian" because of the style of dress in that period). It sounds like the collar is rubbing his skin causing irritation. Does your dog have any clothes like a scarf which would cover up the area around his neck ? If not, use a folded washcloth by taping it to the e-collar. Some aloe will help his neck feel better and heal.

Dr Lee
August 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
someone crazy,

also - welcome to the website!:)

someone_crazy
August 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
oh thank you all. so fast! i didnt really expect a reply so sooon!!
maybe will use a folded washcloth on the collar but first i'ld put some aloe but just wondering where can i get cortisone cream?

mummummum
August 4th, 2007, 07:19 AM
You will have to get cortisone creme from your Vet.

Dr Lee
August 4th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Quick but minor correction. The E stands for Elizabethan. Queen Elizabeth had the wide white ruff collars, the Edwardian period just after the 1900, also prim and proper had tight high collars which were close to the neck.

Elizabeth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Elizabeth1England.jpg

Edwardian style
http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/historypages/1900.html

Love the idea of aloe. Works well!