Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

update on cassius and training

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
since i got completely talked down to and yelled at for using a choke collar on my pup like 3 times, i just want you all to know that i got a lot of compliments of how well behaved my dog was from the people at the vet. they said he was barking and they went in and told him to lay down, and he did and he was quiet.

no treats were needed, no nothing.

and yes, i am being pompus here but i think you were all way too harsh on me and extremely condescending seeing as how im not the only person in the world who has used a choke collar to correct a dog before.

Winston
August 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
since i got completely talked down to and yelled at for using a choke collar on my pup like 3 times, i just want you all to know that i got a lot of compliments of how well behaved my dog was from the people at the vet. they said he was barking and they went in and told him to lay down, and he did and he was quiet.

no treats were needed, no nothing.

and yes, i am being pompus here but i think you were all way too harsh on me and extremely condescending seeing as how im not the only person in the world who has used a choke collar to correct a dog before.

Good News about your pups behaviour! Sorry you feel that we are not nice to you! You have to understand that there are many people here who have their own opinion and sometimes not all of the information is present in a post for us to fully understand a siutation...Dont take it personal....we all mean well...we just have various ways to get our point accross.....

I thought I would tell you that you are not such a bad owner! I must be though because I use a PRONG collar! Beleive me I went from a halty...to a choke chain...and as a last resort the prong collar...My 100 lb boyn needs that! he will walk me if not! besides I never have to pull on it or anything...he seems to know that he will not get too far with it on!

Good Luck

Cindy
:thumbs up

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Good News about your pups behaviour! Sorry you feel that we are not nice to you! You have to understand that there are many people here who have their own opinion and sometimes not all of the information is present in a post for us to fully understand a siutation...Dont take it personal....we all mean well...we just have various ways to get our point accross.....

I thought I would tell you that you are not such a bad owner! I must be though because I use a PRONG collar! Beleive me I went from a halty...to a choke chain...and as a last resort the prong collar...My 100 lb boyn needs that! he will walk me if not! besides I never have to pull on it or anything...he seems to know that he will not get too far with it on!

Good Luck

Cindy
:thumbs up

thanks cindy

i just felt so berated it was disgusting, i am jsut trying to have a well behaved dog, and just using treats was not working. so i took the next step, which was correcting for not listening -- it seemed like a natural progression to me.

if i didnt correct him he would just sit there and look at the floor like...

"and what if i dont lay down? whats gonna happen? NOTHING!"

so i work his obedience into every day things now, sit/down/stay before eating, sit stay before coming in the house, sit to take off the leash etc etc.

i find its working quite well

bendyfoot
August 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Sounds like the training is going great! I, too, am a fan of prong collars for dogs that aren't great listeners/followers (I use one for one of our dogs). The reason I like them better than the chokers is because there's no way to harm the dogs' throat iwith a prong collar. The prongs apply pressure around the neck, not at the throat, and there's a mechanism that prevents it from sliding together tightly enough to cause damage. Just a thought.

Winston
August 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
That is the best approach. My boy was a very dominent puppy...I got him at 7 weeks from a neighbour who was going to return him to the spca due to alergies! after having him 1 week..

I have to tell you the best money I ever spent was on obedience training! I took him through puppy class, grade 1 & 2..I did not continue to grade 3 because it was all done with hand signals and no speaking and I knew he would not do well with that!!! .also for the first 6 months of his life I had to hold him down everyday until he submitted...

I was not the alpha to him and even my 2 cats were higher on the pecking order...The approach I had to take was that Nothing in life if free!!! He had to earn everything...You must also be consistant...I tooo had problems where he would just look at me as if to say "what if I dont want to sit or stay!!! or what if I dont do what you say! I am happy to say he listens very well now!

Now he is 7 and he is the best dog! well behaved...not so hyper! but he did not calm down until he was 3 1/2 ......

P.S Sometimes we are abrasive and we seem unkind but many people (not you!) have come to this forum with many really stupid situations and they should already be at a vet?? you know what I mean...like my dog cut his foot and he is bleeding and it wont stop....he has lost lots of blood...etc etc...then they will say "what do I do?".....duh! should already be on the way to a vet!

Or their cat ingested something...dont know what it was.....now its breathing is laboured, lethargic ....etc etc

Cindy

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
yea, questions like that are really stupid. if your dog is bleeding, he needs to go to a doctor, just like a person does. dogs dont magically stop bleeding cuz of doggy magic.

and my dog has dominance in his breed nature, so i cant sit there all hoocy-coochy with him all day. my sister did that when she watched him and she said he was a terror.

i came home and took the leash from her, yelled out HEY! and tugged him to my side and he sat RIGHT down and waited there.

amazing the difference

shaz moores
August 3rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
Hi

What is a prong collar. I have body harness for my dog but she goes crazy when she sees it,she doesn't like to have it put on her but she is a big dog and it is easier for me to support her when she see's another dog. Also when i walk her just wearing her collar and lead she pulls alot and sounds as if she is choking herself. I had thought about a choke chain but read alot of bad reports on internet about them.

Shaz

mummummum
August 3rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
I would encourage everyone who isn't familiar with this OP to review all past posts before responding....

Just speaking as someone who has been around for awhile :)

clm
August 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
I would encourage everyone who isn't familiar with this OP to review all past posts before responding....

Just speaking as someone who has been around for awhile :)

Yes, I think some of the responses might be a bit different.

Cindy