Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

post neutering licking

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
hi guys

so cassius was neutered yesterday, and was groggy as hell all night as expected.

he woke up this morning back to himself, licking my feet and sitting to be petted at 6 am.

i know the vet said to limit his activity; so im not going to do his daily walk for the 10-12 days, but i think this will drive him insane -- any tips for that? can i walk him slowly around the yard? anything?

the real problem here is he tries to lick his incision, and i spray it with apple spray (which he hates by the way, and tries to run away from numerous times, but i have to do it im pretty sure -- it probably stings like hell)

anyways, is it a good idea to get one of those plastic cone collar things? i dont want him to open it up from licking it, and i cant watch him all day M-F cuz i work 9-5.

any tips?

jessi76
August 3rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
STOP spraying the incision w/ apple spray!!! do NOT put ANYTHING on the incision. you could be causing harm. it not only stings and hurts the dog, but it can hinder the healing process!

invest in some toys/bones to occupy your dog - large knuckle bones, filled kongs, nylabones, etc... for when you are home and watching him... and when away, a cone is probably a good idea.

yes, slow walks in the yard should be just fine - provided you keep him on leash to prevent any running/jumping.

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
well the vet reccomended the spray, i think i trust her over you.. no offense or anything.

why does everyone on this board think they know more than a vet does?

its really quite annoying

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
and please, like i havent bought toys for my dog, what is the matter with you people.

he has 2 kong toys, a squeaky rubber ball, a soccer ball that squeaks and a rope toy; in addition to the occaisonal rawhide dental chews.

Jim Hall
August 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
a cone is a great idea i know it looks horrible but at least u wont have him bothering the incisions

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
a cone is a great idea i know it looks horrible but at least u wont have him bothering the incisions

the vet just called to check in, and im going to go pick one up for him during lunch to put my mind at ease.

the sutures are dissolvable so licking means an open incision; which is obviously bad news

bendyfoot
August 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Sorry, but I worked at a vet clinic for 5 years, and you should NEVER put bitter apple directly on an incision or wound! Stings like hell and acts as an irritant, can cause further inflamation!!! You're asking experienced pet owners for advice, and they are giving accurate and sound information. Please don't be so harsh.

That said,

A cone is the simplest option. You can get it from the vet or a pet shop. Get one that is clear so the dog can see through it...it's less disorienting, and make sure it's slightly longer than his muzzle. He may not love it, but it's the best way to keep the incision healthy and allow it to heal if he's licking.

Some NEW toys (something different and therefore more likely to attract/keep his attention) is a wonderful idea.

Limit the activity to slow, gentle, short walk around the yard, on-leash. No running/jumping.

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
sorry bendy

but i am quoting from the sheet they gave me...

"if you observe your pet doing this, we reccomend an elizabethan collar or a product such as bitter apple spray to deter any licking"

so what am i supposed to do, ignore the vet and listen to a message board?

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
once in a while it would be nice to get the benefit of the doubt around here; that i am actually listening to the vet and trying to do whats right for the dog. instead of thinking im some rogue-renegade dog owner doing whatever i please

jessi76
August 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
I think most of us are just empathetic when it comes to pets with injuries (woundes, incisions, etc....) and the thought of putting bitter apple spray on a new incision - well frankly, makes me cringe. makes me think of rubbing a lemon on a new papercut..... my vet has never endorsed spraying ANTHING on any of my animals after any spay or neuter surgery.

i think you should trust yourself, and your dog. if you dog runs in fear from the apple spray, chances are he's trying to convey his feelings to you of "that stuff hurts!". trust his reaction.

bendyfoot
August 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Yes, the spray (or gel) is good to use on the area SURROUNDING the incision or on the bandage covering it, but should not be sprayed directly on the incision itself. Unfortunately, the instructions you have do not make this very clear...I understand wanting to follow the vet's instructions, of course...it's the responsible thing to do...but the instructions you have aren't clear.
Perhaps their technician forgot to specify this detail when you picked up your pup? Seriously, try putting some of that stuff on a cut or hangnail on yourself...it's LOADED with alcohol...stings bigtime!

Love4himies
August 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
I would think spraying around the wound could lead to some of the Bitter Apple to accidentally get on the wound causing the animal to lick the wound. I am surprised that Vets recommend this at all.

Glad to hear you are getting a collar for him, it is the safest.

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
good to know about the "area surrounding" the wound, they definetly did not mention that. and i did get the collar for him, and it was HILARIOUS when he first had it on, he kept walking backwards thinking he would get out of it or something.

ill post a picture of it when i get home from work

not being a jerk or anything, but it really was funny watching him paw at it.

of course he looked at me like he couldnt do anything with it on, but the vet assured me it was flexible and after a few minutes he layed down just fine with it.

then he started walking at corners of doors to try to push it off

so funny

bendyfoot
August 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
hee-hee...

yep, first-time "cone-heads" can be funny. Jaida bonked into every corner and wall and step there was for a while...steps going "up" were always tricky, actually, had to help her up those. But she was fine about it and never complained...I could leave it on really loose and she never tried to remove it.

Our other dog Gracie...we can NOT get her to wear one. She gets lick granulomas (wounds from licking her legs), and I have tried many times to get her to wear one. She will stand, frozen, won't walk, won't sit, won't move...for about 5 minutes...then she will buck and kick and FREAK OUT...it's like watching a wild horse...and she'll pull it off. It doesn't matter how tightly I put it on, even using one that attaches to her collar, she can get it off. She's nuts.

Glad to hear you got one for your guy:thumbs up

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
maybe your other pup has claustrophobia issues?

im sure you get a kick out of it tho, watching her buck around like a maniac

Winston
August 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
My Winston chewed his off after about 1 week...It was hilarious! (poor boy!) :laughing: he would walk into the walls, turn in circles and the best was trying to get him to walk througha doorway! I dont think he ever cleared it once during the whole time he had it on! It is worth it in thelong run and I think most dogs resign themselves to it and figure out a position that works for them!

Cindy

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
luckily the vet gave me this one for free, if he chews it off ill ask them for a titanium one!

bendyfoot
August 3rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
maybe your other pup has claustrophobia issues?

:laughing: :laughing:
She's a neurotic nut-case. She just has issues, period. :D

kigndano
August 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
my neighbors dog is neurotic too, hes a german shephard; and his puppy owners were two yuppies that kept him in his crate ALL DAY and only let him out to poop and then put him right back in!

what jerks!

anyways, anytime my neighbor leaves the back yard max (the dog) starts running in circles and looking for him frantically, then he wont go play with cassius until my neighbor rubs him down when he comes back outside! he just sits there and waits and whines until he gets a rub down; after that everything is a-ok..until he walks inside to get a beer..and then the running in circles continues!

whats good about this is cassius has no idea why max runs in circles, so he follows him and gets some good exercise in!

mummummum
August 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I've been around for awhile. As such, I'm a big fan of "be firm, but be fair". All the same, I get a little tired of trolls and phishers.

BEFORE you respond, I encourage everyone to read through this OP's history.