Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

down under's food issues

Jim Hall
August 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM
down under has been not eating a lot in the last 24 hrs he has had maybe
5 oz of food sh eis pooping and peeing ok and seems livley enough
she acts hungry but when i put food down for her she takes a bite and walks away i left some wet out for her last night about 3 ozs and she ate that eventually

arghhh maybe she just like stale dried up cat food? lol

maybe i shouls bite the bullett and get her to the vet
i hate handling her she freaks out so bad :yell:

want4rain
August 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
you think you could catch her asleep and peek at her teeth?? one nap get a quick look at one side and then the next nap get a look a the other side?

-ashley

badger
August 3rd, 2007, 08:36 AM
I agree. It's amazing how many strays have problems with their teeth, with usually no external signs. My sister adopted one of my strays, bursting with health, took him to have his teeth cleaned and the vet found two abcesses!! Of course I felt pretty bad.

Jim Hall
August 3rd, 2007, 08:53 AM
well when i had her at the vet last we looked at her mouth and teeth and didnt see any signs of course she was scared to death at the time

sugarcatmom
August 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
Perhaps 5oz of food per 24hrs is enough for her. How much does she weigh? Do you know how old she is? My 14yr old male cat that weighs 15lbs only eats 6oz of food a day. Did she used to eat much more than that? Do you give her different flavours of food or the same one all the time (some cats like more variety - with my guy, if he doesn't get a different flavour or brand of canned food with each meal, he turns his nose up).

badger
August 3rd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Try adding water to canned food, liquid enough so she can lap it. Either it hurts to eat or she is nauseous.
OR she's being totally picky and unreasonable, which is a sign of health.
I switch my cats' canned food among 4 or 5 flavours and give them a different flavour each time. Keeps them interested.

Jim Hall
August 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
^*^&858 and also &)*&*&

i throw out he fancy feast i put out
i open a can of alpo cat food and she gobbles it up
she never liked alpo before :yell:
i think she is just trying to make me crazy

sugarcatmom
August 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
i think she is just trying to make me crazy

She's a cat, that's what she's supposed to do!! :laughing:

Love4himies
August 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Maybe she is not hungry at the time you put the food down. Also, do you feed her at the same time everyday? Cats are creatures of habit. Cats will also eat less when they are hot or less active than usual.

I have one cat that is a bit overweight that will turn his nose up to canned food one day and the next day he will gobble it down (same flavour, same brand) and another cat that eats the exact same amount each day at the
time I put the food down. She is 11 years and her weight has never varied from 8lbs. I had another cat that if he had something in mind to do at feeding time, eating had to wait until he was finished. My cats get fed at the same time each day. So all cats are different in their eating habits.

I don't think you have to worry about her eating at the time you put the food down, cats are not like dogs that gobble up everything that is put infront of them. Their sense of smell is better than ours and they do not eat food that is spoiled so you don't have to worry about that either. So put the food down and let her eat when she is ready. Don't worry about her unless she hasn't eaten anything for 24 hours.

Jim Hall
August 5th, 2007, 07:27 PM
ok another 24 hrs of 4 oz of food and no pee for the last 12 hrs and a small poop on the floor about 2 ft from where she hangs out under the bed. She acts hungry but will not eat more than maybe 2 oz at a time and licks up all the juice form the wet also she tries to eat dry but ends up swallowing it whole I am thinking it is related to her mouth either jaw or dental I have been away form the house a lot but i cannot belive its seperation anxiety,

Will be going to the vet that first saw her after the rescue tomorrow.

I just pray that A) its something minor and is not really hurting her b) that it wont send me into the poorhouse,:shrug:

OK on a good note we had 2 kittens get adopted yesterday and another
2 will go this week all the rescues are still full to the rafters includung us

any one around north jersey co'mn and get another cat pulleeeseee?

i only got scatcegd once!1 thats because a half feral kitten pooped in her box at adopt day and we had to clean her up. Bonnie the kitty forgave me later though and let me take her out for a bit of a cuddle later.

man the dogs that parade through there everything from teacup doggies to
st bernards and other almost horses

Lukka'sma
August 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I know your visit to the vet tomorrow will be very stressful for you and for down under. I do hope it goes well and can't wait to hear the outcome. Good luck Jim