Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Share your words of inspiration

TeriM
August 2nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
So, I thought it might be nice to share some sayings that make you feel better or that make you strive to be a better person. One of my favorites is this one:

One evening an old Apache Warrior told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Apache simply replied, "The one you feed."

anyone got some others :) .

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
Life sucks , get a f****** helmet. :laughing: (Dennis Leary , love this guy !)

But really , the one I like is : together we stand , divided we fall.

I always think about that one when rescues come together to help a dog / cat :highfive:

TeriM
August 2nd, 2007, 10:56 PM
Life sucks , get a f****** helmet. :laughing: (Dennis Leary , love this guy !)

:laughing: Love it :thumbs up .

hazelrunpack
August 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
I always liked this one:

A 92-year-old, well-poised and proud man, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably coifed and shaved perfectly, even though he is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today. His wife of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary. After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his room was ready.

As he maneuvered his walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on his window.

"I love it," he stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

"Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait."

"That doesn't have anything to do with it," he replied.

"Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged ... it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it. It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do.

Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away. Just for this time in my life.

Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've put in.

So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories! Thank you for your part in filling my Memory bank. I am still depositing." Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
2. Free your mind from worries.
3 Live simply.
4.. Give more.
5. Expect less.

Sigh...of course it would have more meaning if hazel had a memory with fewer holes in it...but I'm grateful for those few neurons that still fire! :thumbs up

:D

rainbow
August 3rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
"Be Thankful"

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire......if you did, what would there be to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don't know something......for it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times......during those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations...... they give you opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge......it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes.......they will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you're tired and weary......it means you've made a difference.

It's easy to be thankful for the good things. A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.

Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive. Find a way to be thankful for your troubles, and they can become your blessings.

~ author unknown ~

Rick C
August 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
"Dear Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am." - Anonymous

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

mummummum
August 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
I won't be crossing a whole lot of philisophical barriers here with agreeing with everyone.... but I also like my signatures.

CyberKitten
August 3rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
We may have done this before on this site but I'll write my fav saying (updated to be politically correct, :) )

Evil flourishes when good people do nothing. - it is one of the many by Edmund Burke, a British political writer often considered one of the first "Red Tories - I have my doubts about that but that's another matter, lol) Actually, the eminent Mr. Burke stated that a"ll it takes for evil to flourish is for one good man to do nothing"

I also like the saying that Every new idea begins with a minority of one. I am not certain who said it - it was son a poster I bought as a gift fior a friend once.

I also like a saying I saw on a university door once - an education department at the Univ of NY . That one is "We may have all landed in different ships but we are all in the same boat now!"

Finally, I have a poster in my office - a really old one from the group "Another Mother for Peace - US group) that says, "It'll be a great day when every child care center has the funds it needs and the army has to hold a bake sale." That may be unpc now when we have troops at war but it does not mean I do not support them, just that I wish schools and child care get the money they deserve! The military families could use more money too, I know one family from Pictou County, NS who had a hard time paying for a funeral when they lost their son in Afghanistan!

I also like "Never judge someone until you've walked a mile (or kilometer) in their shoes.

There are more but these are a few of my favourites.

Schwinn
August 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM
"One should always look ahead instead of back, for he who looks back instead of ahead is sure to step in something"

Wanted to put it on a bumper sticker, but my bumper was too small...

growler~GateKeeper
August 8th, 2007, 01:41 AM
"Sometimes it's a B1tch sometimes it a Breeze" - Stevie Nicks (singer)

"You gotta take the rough with the smooth" - Methos from Highlander (TV Show)

mummummum
August 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Sometimes large strides are made by a series of small steps
~ me