Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mouse poison

rina
August 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
My friend has been having mouse problems so he has set out mouse poison. I am going to stay with him for a couple of weeks and I have to bring my cats. If he cleans up the poison today (thursday) or tomorrow (friday), and I bring the cats on Tuesday or wednesday, will they be okay to roam the yard and house??

badger
August 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
It depends on what kind of poison he's putting down and whether it's, a powder that is sprinkled everywhere, or pellets that the mice eat or carry off. Ideally, the information you're looking for should be on the label.

You could find out the ingredients and call a poison hotline. Maybe they could tell you the risks from a brand name; but I'd get the ingredients just in case.

SableCollie
August 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
I would be very very cautious. Poison is poison after all. Make sure he cleans up every speck of poison, and double check to make sure there's none left. I would also be worried that your cats might find and eat mice that have eaten the poison. I don't know how many "poisoned" mice a cat would have to eat to get sick. Make sure you know the brand name and ingredients of the poison (write it down!) in case a cat ingests some, this info is invaluable.

I am especially nervous about mouse poison because my dog got into some once (it was in a closet and I did not know that someone had put poison in there!) so then we rushed to the vet ER, they induced vomiting, poured activated charcoal down her throat, and gave us medication to help with blood clotting which she was on for over a month...it was a very scary experience!

Love4himies
August 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
I would not be taking that chance with my cats. They should not be given free reign of the house and yard just in case some poison has been missed. It just takes a small amount to kill a cat. As you know, cats are curious and will check out ever cubby hole and corner in their new surroundings.

Is there anybody that can take care of your cats while you are visiting him rather than take them with you?

badger
August 3rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
On reflection, I agree with Sable and Love4himies, the risk of a crumb of poison or a dead mouse left behind, however thorough the clean-up, is just too high. I'd leave the cats at home, because I'd be worrying every minute they were there.
I guess you could confine them to one or two rooms which have been scrubbed clean but only you can decide which is the better option for your cats.

rina
August 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
Thank you all for the input and advice. I think i will go with my gut feelings and find a alternate place for the cats to go. I researched some poisons on the internet and it definately doesn't take much to harm a cat...I don't think i could live with myself if something happened to them and I knew that there was a chance of poisoning.

Thanks for the insight!