Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Waking up Numerous Times During the Night

ozforme
August 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hopefully someone can help. My dog (beagle) will not sleep through the night. It does not matter how much I run him, play with him; he wakes up at least once (more often two or three times). He gets up to shake, drink water, roll on the floor, whatever. Then he climbs back in bed and goes back to sleep. I took him to the vet and he is not diabetic and all of his labs were normal. The VET suggested Benydryl. This only wires him up more. I figure it is probably habit (behavioral) at this point, but yelling at him at night to lay down does not help. He does lay down, but then he just gets up later on. It is killing me because I never get a nights sleep where I can sleep straight through.

Thanks!!!!! Kathy

sugarcatmom
August 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Perhaps don't let him sleep in your bedroom, then it won't bother you when he does get up.

SnowDancer
August 2nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Reminds me of my husband, who snores alarmingly loud, kicks his legs and flings his arms about. Heck, the dog won't even sleep near him - and yet my husband swears he does none of these things. I am a very light sleeper - actually an insomnicac so the lightest sound will wake me up. The dogs have always slept with me and each one - including our Beagle - had to get up to move about during the night etc. - just as people do. Actually often my dogs would give us "looks" suggesting we had woken them up. You could certainly try locking your Beagle out of the bedroom but I have a feeling you will be treated to a chorus of baying hound.

cheribob
August 3rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
Have you considered crating your dog at night? I had to do this with my one Maltese. Ay first he did not like the crate. But after a while, when it was time to go to bed he would run to the bedroom and get in his crate.

ozforme
August 3rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
I appreciate your responses and at the risk of sounding unappreciative, I cannot have my dog sleep somewhere else for numerous reasons. One is that I love him and he has always slept with me, two he would howl all night long and three then I wouldn't sleep because I would be worried about him. I thought maybe there was some ritual I could do to help him sleep better or even a med I could give him that would not cause addiction.

Thank you for your responses though. I appreciate it.

sugarcatmom
August 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Then maybe earplugs are an option?

hdme
August 3rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Our dog has always gotten up several times during the night to move around the house and get drinks. My husband's childhood dogs did too. I think it's part of their nature really and so I'm not sure that you can stop it. Like people, dogs get warm and need to change position and get a drink to cool down. Like others have said, the only solution would be not to have the dog in the bed with you, but that would be tough to undo at this point. Our dog has an awesome LLBean dog bed that is on the floor, right up against our bed...she loves it and prefers it over our bed.

want4rain
August 3rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
we had the same problem with my childhood cocker spaniel Betsy (:candle: ), she had to get up, shake around, pace through the house to be sure everythign was fine, then she would either flop down on the cook hard wood floors or crawl back into bed with me. i learned to get up 1-3X a night and sleep in the same position because if my legs werent to her liking she would PUSH them to her liking!!!

what helped was we came to a little agreement. most nights she kept me up but some nights she would sleep on a mat i made her next to my bed. really.... she just got too lazy sometimes to actually get up on the bed. it took me a few months to get use to the nights she didnt wake me up but i did eventually.

my only suggestion is to make two mats, one big and fluffy and the other flat and cool for your pooch to choose as an alternative some nights. once you get use to not getting woken up the second, third or fourth time you will at least have a few nights a month where s/he isnt getting you up a few times.

-ashley