Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spot Test Allergies

ikshar
August 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Hi there,
I have a malamute cross who had the spot test done and has pinpointed her allergies...However she does not have just food, but others, such as mold, etc.(my complete list is at home)
The vet is suggesting the serum treatment. I am wondering if anyone has tried this treatment, what the success rate was, and anything else that can be offered!

Thanks!!

punkyamberlea
August 12th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I work at a vet and had had many food issues with one of my dogs, luckly he out grow his probles, but like with humans your dog will be injected with a dose of what he is allergic to to over come his allergies. I have seen and heard it is very sucessful. Ask the Vet for more details and ideas.

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Bumping up this a bit so it doesn't get lost...

RDandSQ
August 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I give allergy shots. I can tell that it works, becuase towards the end of the period SQ seems a bit itchy...

At first it takes effort since shots are given on alternate days until you ramp up the dose. Now, it's every 14 days and it's not a big deal.

I show a couple treats, give the shot, give treats and massage the shot location. SQ knows the shot is coming, since I prepare it and let it sit for 5 minutes so it's not so cold.

Yes, it's intimidating at first, but in retrospect is was not so bad....

Good luck....

ikshar
August 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM
okay well thanks for the input...I have talked to the vet it is always nice to get owners opinions, and those that acutally do the injections....see what you think of it..
and as long as you are noticing differences that is the key!
did you have to leave your dog on the steroid as well until things settled down? i heard that is another thing that will have to happen at the beginning....:dog: