Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Minneapolis Bridge Collapses

Smiley14
August 1st, 2007, 10:07 PM
Guys, please pray. A mjaor four lane bridge has collasped into the Mississippi River here in Minneapolis. They are estimating between 50-100 cars in the water and several construction crew that were working on the bridge at the time and have unknown whereabouts. Some cars and workers have been crushed. The casualties are not known yet, nor is the cause, but they believe it was structural.
I am okay, but several of my co-workers were driving home from work and may have been on the bridge when it collasped. We work nearby and several leave between 5:30-6pm and drive that route home. We can't get ahold of all of them. Two have called me so far to let me know they are okay. My manager three levels up was actually on the bridge when it collasped, but managed to crawl out of his car and his car is now in the water. We don't know any other details yet, but are all sitting here at the office in shock.

CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/01/bridge.collapse/index.html)

Frenchy
August 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM
Omg this is horrible :sad: I hope there is someone watching over them :sad:

hazelrunpack
August 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM
Thank dog you posted, Smiley! I was worried about you! :o

Hunter's_owner
August 1st, 2007, 10:19 PM
Wow that is so terrible.:sad:
So much damage done here today too:sad:

Smiley14
August 1st, 2007, 10:26 PM
Thank dog you posted, Smiley! I was worried about you! :o

Thanks Hazel! I wanted to post because we're getting calls and emails galore from family and friends across the country. Cell phones are pretty much jammed right now, so email and land lines seem to be the best means of communication at the moment. This is just all so unbelievable!

SableCollie
August 1st, 2007, 10:29 PM
I saw this on the news today, very sad and scary. I hope all of your co-workers are okay. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
August 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM
We're praying for all your co-workers--:fingerscrs and :pawprint:s crossed, too! :grouphug:

rainbow
August 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM
I saw the coverage on the news today. :sad: I am so glad that you are okay. :grouphug: I hope your co-workers and friends are safe. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
August 2nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Any word on your unaccounted-for co-workers, Smiley? :fingerscr

What part of the bridge was your manager on when it went down? He was so lucky...the video footage of the collapse was just so totally nightmarish...hard to believe anyone survived the fall or that the few cars left managed to stay on the deck.

jesse's mommy
August 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
God help all those poor souls on that bridge.

Did you see a camera caught the fall? They have it on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/08/02/vosli.mn.i35w.bridge.collapse.side.view.cnn

Smiley14
August 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Any word on your unaccounted-for co-workers, Smiley? :fingerscr

What part of the bridge was your manager on when it went down? He was so lucky...the video footage of the collapse was just so totally nightmarish...hard to believe anyone survived the fall or that the few cars left managed to stay on the deck.

Finally got word on our last missing co-worker. He was identified in the hospital as an unconscious John Doe. But he is OKAY. Thank goodness! We have been touched by some loss though. Two of my good friends here at work both lost friends in the collaspe. I don't know either of them personally, but it is hard to see my friends grieving.

The manager three levels above me that survived the collapse is going to be on Larry King Live at 8pm CST tonight if anyone is able to watch it. I'll still be at work, so my cousin is going to record it for me. He was also in the Star Tribune, our local paper, today as well.

Lukka'sma
August 2nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
So glad you are OK, Glad your co-workers all got off the bridge without too many wounds. I will be watching Larry King tonight!

rainbow
August 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Glad your missing coworker has been accounted for and is okay :thumbs up but sorry to hear of your coworkers friends. :grouphug: :rip: :candle:

TeriM
August 2nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Wow, what a nightmare :sad: . I'm glad you are safe Smiley and we're thinking positive thoughts for all those affected with this tradegy :goodvibes: .