Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog ate rubber insoles

nikkiandfinn
August 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone. I don't know what to do. I am stressed beyond belief. Today while I was at work, my dog ate the two heel insoles that were in my husbands sneakers.:yuck: They were flat rubber things that laid in the heel of your shoe. I think he ate the first one this afternoon, and then the other one around supper time. I phoned the on call vet, thinking that I should induce vomiting. They said that, more than likely he will pass it. Just keep an eye on him for the next couple of days. He was his normal self tonight. Ate normally, played and is now gone to sleep. I am afraid of a intestinal blockage, and I am so worried that this will happen. Any advice???? Anyone else have a dog that did this??? He's not a big dog (about 33 lbs). I am so worried...:cry:

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 08:54 PM
Keep an eye on his tummy for "hard and rounded", I know the weather is wicked hot but watch for a distress type of panting, excessive drooling, excessive water intake, extreme lethargy and depression ( a glazed look and disinterest in his environement . You may want to try some castor oil to help him pass the big bits but my guess is that will just make him nauseous.

Now, with all the warnings done I will tell you that my current dogs (soon to be 8 years old) have eaten entire shoes. It happens and you put it down to lessons learned ~ don't beat yourself up too much about it.

hazelrunpack
August 1st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, we've had bits and pieces of the house disappear now and then as well. :rolleyes: Sometimes the pieces resurface (if the stomach is smarter than the dog :p); sometimes they show up in the poop; sometimes we never do figure out where they've gone to. :o

Just watch him closely for odd behavior. We always sweat it for a couple of days, but usually it turns out okay! :grouphug:

nikkiandfinn
August 2nd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys. I am still a little stressed, but Finn ate his breakfast and pooped (no sign of rubber) :yuck: But I guess if he ate it yesterday afternoon (around 4 & 7), it wouldn't show up yet, would it?

I will keep watching him and see. I :pray: he'll be ok.

hazelrunpack
August 2nd, 2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys. I am still a little stressed, but Finn ate his breakfast and pooped (no sign of rubber) :yuck: But I guess if he ate it yesterday afternoon (around 4 & 7), it wouldn't show up yet, would it?

I will keep watching him and see. I :pray: he'll be ok.

We've found the 'target date' will be anywhere from 12 hours (if the ingested material causes diarrhea as it passes) to 48 hours. If by the third day we've either seen the passed object or the dog is still behaving normally, we're pretty confident we're out of the woods... :fingerscr

And sometimes, by that third day, we find whatever object we thought was eaten, unscathed and hiding somewhere odd around the house... :o

nikkiandfinn
August 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM
Ok, so a large amount of the rubber has been passed in Finn's last 3 poops (2 yesterday and 1 this morning). That is good. What worried me is this...early this morning (around 2 am) Finn starting throwing up. Or, at least he was trying. But all that came up was frothy bile. No rubber. He did this 3 times. Then he went in the back yard, played around and came back in and went to sleep. He ate breakfast this morning, and up to when I left for work, he kept it down (my hubby is home with him this morning). He does not appear to be in any distress at this time. But I am worried that he was trying to throw it up and it won't come up? Isn't that a bad thing?:shrug: I guess as long as he is eating and pooping (I mean - 3 poops since 7:00 pm last night) then he is digesting and there is no blockage, right? I was going to bring him to the vet today, but what can they do unless he's sick? I am just afraid to go into the weekend and him get sicker, and then there's no vet near by.

Please...I need advice. :confused:

SnowDancer
August 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
With my dogs, 3 days has always seemed to be the magic number for passing of many of the things they have eaten over the years. BUT, when our mini Dachshund ate part of a blanket and we came home to find a thick piece of thread wrapped around his canine tooth and proceeding down his throat we took him to emergency. They gave us some laxative to mix with WONDER!! bread of all things and we had to monitor him. The one thing they told us to watch out for was throwing up - if he did that we were to take him to vet immediately. Since we were out all day, we left him at vet's during daytime and took him home at night for 24 hour supervision. Day 3 he passed the very thick piece of blanket - thankfully. It is good that your dog has passed some of the rubber, but I am concerned about the throwing up - maybe you should give your vet a call just in case. What I really hate about checking for the offending eaten material is when the dog decides to clean up after himself and then you start again. Hope everything is okay - my Eskie is a Hoover and I can't believe he has made it to 40 months without surgery.

nikkiandfinn
August 3rd, 2007, 10:48 AM
Ok...another update. Finn is his normal self. PLaying, eating, just like nothings wrong. I came home lunch time to see to him thi sfternoon. So, I took him outdoors again. He imeediatly went to his "corner" and pooped AGAIN! Except, this time...there was no poop, just a huge piece of rubber and a couple of smaller pieces. :yuck: So, this means he's passing it, right? All he threw up last night was frothy bile, and it was not very much (maybe a cup if that). I wil call the vet just to see, but he really seems fine. I hope, hope, hope he'll be ok.

Thanks everyone!

Dr Lee
August 3rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Any rubber that has passed in a bowel movement has made it through safe. It does not preclude the possibility of other rubber pieces being 'caught' in the intestinal tract. The continued vomiting is of some concern. A radiograph (X-Ray) at your veterinarian may be helpful. Good luck

mummummum
August 3rd, 2007, 11:16 AM
That's good news Nikki ~ I would probably "keep an eye" on him for another day but I'm a worry-wart. :rolleyes:

The one incident of vomiting hasn't continued and it sounds like he's passed all of it in his poop. Phew ! Now you can stop fretting and get back to calling him a little boogerhead ! :D

want4rain
August 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
yep, 3 days was it for us. the pooch hasnt eaten anything like that (yet) but my daughter swallowed a quarter in kindergarden.:frustrated: my cats frequently swallow the weirdest things... the chewed the nibs off of my Adidas sandals... the ones with the kushey but kind of painful bumps on them?? yeah.... and they are the clothing to Cailyns Polly Pockets... pencil erasers....

our dog isnt a chewer but finding thumb nail sized shirts in the litter box was a bit alarming. 3 days!!

-ashley

nikkiandfinn
August 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks again for your responses. Dr. Lee, the thing is, the vomiting hasn't continued. If it were, I'd have him at the Vets imeediatly. But he just threw up that little bit last night, and nothing since. Should I still get an x-ray?

Dr Lee
August 3rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks again for your responses. Dr. Lee, the thing is, the vomiting hasn't continued. If it were, I'd have him at the Vets imeediatly. But he just threw up that little bit last night, and nothing since. Should I still get an x-ray?

The safe answer is always get the x-ray. The reason for the x-ray is to see if there is any more rubber still inside or perhaps anything else he might have ingested. If either of these possibilities are not seen as a realistic possibility then in light of the lack of clinical signs, you may want to just monitor and hold off of the x-ray.

One additional note: some types of rubber, plastic and cloth may be invisible to standard x-rays. So an x-ray is not an absolute guarrantee by any means.

I am glad that he is feeling so much better

nikkiandfinn
August 4th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone. Here it is, day 3, and Finn appears to be fine. He pooped last night...no rubber. :thumbs up Could it be all passed through his system now? He is eating normally...no vomiting since that little spell the night before last, and he is his normal playful self. I certainly hope this ordeal is over!

Thanks for everybody's responses. :pray: that he wil be all fine now. and yeah, now that the fear is settleing, I can go nback to calling him a little "boogerhead"! :laughing:

Dr Lee
August 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM
:thumbs up
Glad he is feeling better