Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bed wetter

Pepsi'smom
August 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Hey all.

Just writing to inquire if anyone has ever heard of a dog leaking a small amount of urine in their sleep?

My chocolate lab is a little over 4 mths old and occasionally (its only happened 4 times since she was 6 wks old) she will fall asleep for a nap and wet herself. its not huge amounts, but enough for me to wonder. The vet had no explaination... anyone else have experience with this? maybe she will grow out of it?:rolleyes:

SableCollie
August 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Sorry, no experience with puppy bedwetting. We did have a middle aged husky that did it (spay incontinence), she improved with hormone therapy. I'm assuming puppy has been tested for any urinary infections, etc?

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 09:46 PM
Ceili did that but she had chronic UTI's and an overdeveloped vulva. One of my girlfriend's goldens went through a period when she was puppyish and later when she was about 1 1/2 ~ they and the Vet decided she was sleeping very, very deeply during growing spurts.

benjamin2207
August 2nd, 2007, 12:56 AM
I've had it in 2 of my girls. My English Mastiff Layla and my English Bulldog Georgia. Layla was my first dog so when it happened to her I freaked out. I had her tested for a urinary tract infection. If that's ruled out the second question is has she been fixed? It's common for females that are fixed to have female incontence (spelling?).
They have over the counter and prescription meds to strengthen the bladder and that usually works. It's usually nothing to worry too much about from my experience. Both of mine though were after they were fixed. Layla did it for a few months and I'm going through it with Georgia right now.
Good luck, I know it's mostly just frustrating.

Pepsi'smom
August 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
So back when this was a little more frequent, turns out she did have a urinary tract infection. But I noticed that after antibiotics that she would still have this issue sometimes especially after we would go to the park and throw the ball, so essentially, when she was very very tired and slept the deepest, thats when she would wet a little. so strange. i think she might be growing out of it. Its been a few weeks since it last happened.
thanks for all the great feedback! :lightbulb:

mummummum
August 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
The only thing I would note is make certain that you dry her well ~ so the urine (and all of it's bacteria) doesn't stay in the cleft of her vulva. This is Ceili's problem and it turns into an endless circle with UTI's.

Pepsi'smom
August 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
thanks for the advice. Ive also been using sensitive skin baby powder after i clean her up a little and she stays dry, thus no reason to lick, which really has made a difference.:)

mummummum
August 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
"No perfume" baby powder though...