Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost & never found?

rach_eliz
August 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM
I feel like i'm imprisioning my cat. He cries, stares away and wants so badly to get on the other side of the window. Picks at the screen (nice enough not to wreck it) ... or if it's closed, claws and claws like he was rowing a boat upstream on the window. Thinking he may wear it out.

I've had him since he was a kitten and he's just over 1 yr. He's sister is quite content with staying indoors (she's the scaredy cat). Should i let him wander? I'm worried he won't come back, or he'll get sick ...... I don't have kids can ya tell? hahahaha I don't know if I could let them out to play either...just a worry wort I guess.
They've been indoor cats their whole life ... but he so desperately wants out, and I feel bad for keeping him in. ???????????????:confused:

~michelle~
August 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
why dont you try getting him use to a harness and taking him out for walks that way it is much safer

krdahmer
August 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Cats are fine being strictly indoors, mine do all the same things as yours, but I play with them often, throwing toy mice teasing them with feathers and string and make sure the bird feeders outside are always full so that 'kitty tv' is always on. If they have each other, that is plenty. You are right to be afraid of letting them out, you have no control over what can happen to them out there. There are a lot scarier things than cars and other animals now, like psychos who poison innocent animals just for being on their property. Male cats I think always have that urge to roam even if they are neutered, but as long as they have lots to do and climb and watch indoors, you are most definitely NOT being mean, you are just being a responsible pet owner. :thumbs up

Just stick around here you'll learn a lot... and there are alternatives if you do want to let him enjoy the outdoors like an outdoor cage or run or teaching him to walk on a leash, or ride in a pet stroller. (although you get some weird looks with those last two...:laughing: ;) ) Free roaming is far too dangerous, he could get hurt, come home sick and you wouldn't know what to tell the vet... or heaven forbid he could just disappear... etc etc...

Welcome to the board :goodvibes: and do you have any pics of your kitties?

Love4himies
August 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Please don't let your cat go free, you are not doing him any favours. There are too many dangers for him to get into.

I have always used a harness and a leash to walk my cats and that keeps them stimulated enough. It takes a lot of patience on your part as a cat may stay in one place for several minutes. Also, if there are no climbing dangers in your yard, after you get him used to a harness you can keep him tied up supervised.

Just like you wouldn't let your toddle go outside and play on its own, don't let your cat do the same.

clm
August 1st, 2007, 08:43 PM
There's a site called the cat's den that makes outdoor play areas for cats. Not cheap, but pretty neat for those cats who insist on being outdoors.

Cindy

rach_eliz
August 2nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks so much for the reassurance that I'm NOT being mean. I love the idea of the kitty tv. .... tones of birds in our trees. (Dakota makes a quacky meow, and you can tell he's a natural catcher....) I mean he did eat my 'fresh' betta fish!:crazy: I'm glad I got the advice - I'll try a harness/leash and he can have a 'treat' to the outside here and there.

I have pictures ... but I can never get them together where they're both looking or not sleeping.... so I'll try and capture a good shot and post em' up.

Cats are fine being strictly indoors, mine do all the same things as yours, but I play with them often, throwing toy mice teasing them with feathers and string and make sure the bird feeders outside are always full so that 'kitty tv' is always on. If they have each other, that is plenty. You are right to be afraid of letting them out, you have no control over what can happen to them out there. There are a lot scarier things than cars and other animals now, like psychos who poison innocent animals just for being on their property. Male cats I think always have that urge to roam even if they are neutered, but as long as they have lots to do and climb and watch indoors, you are most definitely NOT being mean, you are just being a responsible pet owner. :thumbs up

Just stick around here you'll learn a lot... and there are alternatives if you do want to let him enjoy the outdoors like an outdoor cage or run or teaching him to walk on a leash, or ride in a pet stroller. (although you get some weird looks with those last two...:laughing: ;) ) Free roaming is far too dangerous, he could get hurt, come home sick and you wouldn't know what to tell the vet... or heaven forbid he could just disappear... etc etc...

Welcome to the board :goodvibes: and do you have any pics of your kitties?