Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

That guy on the news in TO is lucky I wasn't there...

krdahmer
August 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM
He's telling his sob story about being cuffed to his car and how someone hit him with a rock while the Humane Society was helping his poor dog that he left in his car.... man is he lucky, I would've used something a lot bigger than a rock!!:frustrated:

There is no, and I mean NO excuse for that in this day and age... and of course Global, I hate the way they hype this story up with phrases like 'is a dog more important than a human?'. Making it all so sensational, when all it is is another jerk who to me is much less important than the poor dog whose life he endangered, who got a bit of a well deserved butt kickin. I think the humane society folks showed great restraint considering the number of these calls they get every summer.:highfive:

Just goes to show how it really is time for some harsher punishments. Then maybe the animal lovers would feel less obligated to take matters into their own hands to be sure some inkling of justice is seen!!:wall:

Winston
August 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
I agree!!!! HUGE and I mean HUGE praises should be given to that Toronto SPCA Officer! I commend him for taking the life of this poor dog so seriously! If anyone saw the fella I am talking about he was AWESOME! I think it was reasonable in cuffing the guy to something at the scene! Pretty ingenious if you ask me! Then the guy has the guts to be interviewed and state that he RESCUED this poor dog!! People that know who he is certainly didnt have much praise for his treatment of this dog!!!

People like this make me sick! In this day and age there is NO reason to leave an animal in a car??? Even though I would never do this myself but couldnt he have tied it to a pole?? or something outside of the car???

If I had it my way ( I could never be a judge!) but I would have put him in the car for the length of time his poor dog was in there to let him see what it feels like to be dying inside a sweltering car probably gasping for your last breath!!! Oh boy! sorry I get so emotional about this horrible stuff!!

Our laws are WEAK! 6 months in jail or a $2,000.00 fine?? ( I think that is what it is?) is sickening...no one ever does any jail time because it takes so long to come to a trial that they consider the length of time as time served????makes no sense to me!

Cindy

Byrd
August 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM
If it is absolutely necessary to leave the dog in the car at least leave the windows open and a bowl of water in there for it, park in the shade, etc. Common sense, but then again some people don't have that. :mad:

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 08:02 PM
It was 34 degrees celcius here today. There's no circumstances where it's appropriate or necessary to leave a dog in a vehicle on a day like today. Apparently the Rottie is likely to have permanent brain damage as a result of his ordeal. I haven't heard any word on charges yet ~ one can only hope he gets both the fine and the jail time.:mad:

clm
August 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
I heard on the news on the way home that the pup was doing well. He had gone for a walk and his eyes were tracking normal. They think he may pull through ok.
Does this guy have the right to get the dog back?

Cindy

Frenchy
August 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Does this guy have the right to get the dog back?

Cindy

I'm wondering the same thing. I had to tell 2 owners about this today. I work at a car dealer , some people park their car, leave the dog inside the car and they come in. I always tell them to go get the dog and take them inside. They always think dogs are not allowed ... so why the heck would they bring them ??? :wall:

Rottielover
August 1st, 2007, 08:51 PM
I am so glad he was handcuffed to his car in the baking sun, but unfortunetly not even as close to what he allowed his lovely rottie to go through.
I heard that no one is claiming witness to the argument. HEHEHE, so the owner will not be able to file anything against the officer.

Byrd
August 1st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Well, unfortunately, I did have to leave Willow in the car for a short time today. We were doing a demo at the local library and it was inside so I had to find out exactly where to go and where to put her. She was in the car for about 10 minutes... windows rolled right down, sunroof open, bowl of water, in the shade, and seatbelted. When I went back to get her, the inside of the car was cooler than it was outside. Honestly, not to start a fight here, but if done right, I really don't see a problem with it if you need to run into a store quickly, I'm not talking hours and hours here, I'm talking running into a convenience store or something with all precautions taken against heat stroke... obviously this guy didn't do that.

I'm sure he will get the dog back, because that seems to be the way it works. :rolleyes: Has he abused the dog in the past? Or was this just a one time mistake? I'm not defending him or sticking up for him, but it could have been just a one time mistake, someone not thinking. :fingerscr Hopefully he's learned his lesson and won't do it again. :fingerscr

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 09:04 PM
You are right Byrd and I have had to do it at times as well...let me rephrase ~ there are LIMITED circumstances when leaving a dog in a car in extreme heat/ cold is approriate and ONLY when proper precautions are taken to protect them from the elements and only for VERY short periods of time.

According to the news he resisted attempts by the Humane Society officer to rescue the dog ~ did you see the picture of the dog when it was pulled out of the vehcile. Horrible.

Byrd
August 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM
No, I didn't see a pic, but I heard about it on the radio. They had to break the window to get into it. It sucks that people can be so stupid. :mad: I really don't get how someone could leave anything living in a vehicle with the windows up.... no matter what the weather (I even crack them on 15 degree days just for the air circulation). Willow comes everywhere with me so I leave a bowl in the car and bring water with me whenever we go out, I leave the windows wide open because nobody's breaking into the car with barky-poo in the back. Not saying I take her with me when I go grocery shopping, just if I need to make a quick stop at the bank or drug store or something.

Yeah, my flame suit is on. Again, definitely not sticking up for this guy.

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 09:22 PM
Byrd ~ it's okay ~ we know when someone has their dog's health and welfare foremost in their mind (and for anyone who doesn't know Byrd ~ she DOES ~ look at the details in her explanation if you don't know Byrd) .

This is from Dubya's post in the news forum.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20070801/pet_safety_070801/20070801?hub=TorontoHome

Byrd
August 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Aww Mum thanks. :cloud9:

Poor baby, he looks nasty in that pic, but with pleading eyes. :sad: Three hours?!?!?!?!? What the hell was the guy doing, getting sloshed with his buddies??? :frustrated:

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 09:42 PM
He was definitely gasping his last. It's a sad comment on the negative perception of Rottweilers that none of the people who found him or came around the commotion felt comfortable enough to smash the window. Personally, I can't imagine waiting around for a Cruelty Investigator if I saw a dog in that shape~ the window would be gone if it were me and dairned the consequences.

:offtopic: have you seen anyone using those cooling vests at your shows ?

Byrd
August 1st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Not cooling vests, but cooling mats. I sat on one, they really do work.

If the dog was that out of it, people would have to know that there is no way it could physically attack them. :wall: Maybe they were worried about the repercussions they would receive if they broke the window. *shrug*

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Or maybe it was the "and surrounded by no less than 5 of his buddies" that was the deterrent. Who knows. Look at the couple who accidently locked their baby in their car today. Five people called 911 after seeing the baby unattended. UNATTENDED ? I understand locking the keys in the car ~ done it with the Jeep running no less. I don't quite understand how you can lock the baby in there (don't you have to beep something :confused: ?) but ...okay, let's say it's possible. But, I DON'T understand TWO people leaving the baby unattended and I don't understand calling 911 AND leaving the baby in the car. :wall: :wall: :wall: It's a bloody window ~ THEY can be replaced.... :confused: :yell: :frustrated:

Sorry... same topic (stupid parents) but off-topic.

Frenchy
August 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM
A baby did die from this a couple of years ago. In Verdun , near Montreal. I use to drive near that street to go to work. The husband didn't usually drove the baby to the babysitter. He did that morning, forgot about the baby being in the car, :confused: left the car on a street to get the subway. Windows were tainted so nobody could see there was a baby in the car. The man came back at the end of the day, baby was dead. :sad: He didn't do any time for it. It was rule as an accident. He's divorce now, (wife never forgave him for this)

krdahmer
August 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
I saw the interview Global did with the guy... and no, he did NOT strike me as a responsible owner who made a mistake, more like someone who has a rottie for the novelty of it, or to deter people from breaking into his precious SUV. That guy was a loogan... and ya I can't believe that anyone seeing a dog in that shape would hesitate to break a window and get it out, regardless of what kind of dog it was... I mean in that shape it's not exactly gonna be vicious!!:frustrated:

I just :pray: that the poor doggy makes a ful recovery and that he is NOT handed back to that :loser: !!! And that the authorities start handing out more jail time.... for every abuse case, because you doggie owners all know that sure mistakes can be made, but not one of you would ever even dream of doing that to your furbabies. Not knowing any better is not an excuse, all he needed was common sense and lacking that, he shouldn't be allowed to care for an animal.

chico2
August 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
One thing for sure,I would not hesitate for a second smashing in a window,whether it's for a baby or a dog..
That poor Rottie looked limp as a dishrag when he was pulled out of the car,the owner will more than likely get him back:yell:

silvio
August 2nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
went to the store to pick of a new keyboard and coming out i heard a bark,and that always catches my attention , it was the car parked in front of mine the was a puppy just twisting and dripping from the mouth.i walked around the car to check if the windows were open,,,,NONE,,,, the sunroof was but barely could pass 2 fingers threw it.i waited 15 mins by the car to have my say to the owner whom came out of a restaurant.and trust me he learned his leasson after the speech i gave him.

Basicly to the morons that do things like this forget that pets are alive,,its simple if you want to take your dog with you give it the attention it needs , if your going shopping or doing anything not involving your pet leave him/her at home.jeeezzz a little common sense please.:shrug:

Love4himies
August 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
I would not hesitate to smash anybody's window if I saw an animal or child in distress inside the car. Smash first, call 911 second.

WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING??????? Are they just that self centred that they care more that they get that cup of coffee or what ever they have stopped to get than the welfare of their supposed loved ones???

They need a new law called "Attempted Doggieslaughter" for these situations.

Frenchy
August 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
its simple if you want to take your dog with you give it the attention it needs , if your going shopping or doing anything not involving your pet leave him/her at home.jeeezzz a little common sense please.:shrug:

Exactly Silvio ! I don't understand why people have to drag their dogs in their car , if they're not going to attend to him/her. :shrug:

ancientgirl
August 2nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
In this case, yes the dogs life is more important. Because he's in danger and can in no way get himself out of that oven!

When I was taking Oksana home after the vet last night and realized I needed something from the store. Did I stop? No, because I didn't want to have the manager tell me I can't bring a cat into the grocery store, and NO WAY was I going to leave her in the car. So I just kept going.

Some people are born stupid, that's all I can figure.

Byrd
August 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
I heard it was three babies yesterday. How on earth can you forget that your child is in the car???? :frustrated: One did die in Toronto in the winter because it was left in the car for an hour!!!

I seriously think they should start requiring licenses for pet ownership and having children.

krdahmer
August 3rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
I seriously think they should start requiring licenses for pet ownership and having children.

You know my mom has been saying that for years and I used to think it extreme.... but not so much anymore. I mean its a privelege to operate machinery but a right to be completely responsible for another life??!! Something seem a little off there?

Longblades
August 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Sadly, that poor dog is not all right. I saw a news clip last night that said he will have permanent brain damage and I think kidney damage as well.

krdahmer
August 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
:sad: :cry:

chico2
August 6th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Longblades,poor dog,I suppose he will have to be euthanized:cry:
The rescuers said from the start he would have problems,how very sad:pawprint:

Rottielover
August 6th, 2007, 05:33 PM
So sorry Cyrus. Us humans failed you, you did nothing wrong . Just remember you will be loved no matter what happens. :fingerscr you will pull through like a hero.

heyjude11
August 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Cyrus will definitely NOT be euthanized. I have posted info on Cyrus in the "Newspaper Articles of Interest" under 'Standing up to bad owners'.

heyjude11
August 7th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Just heard an update on Cyrus. He is now responding to his name. The THS still does not know the extent of brain/organ damage.

Frenchy
August 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Just heard an update on Cyrus. He is now responding to his name.

:goodvibes: baby steps :fingerscr

Shaykeija
August 7th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I personally think if I had seen this jerk, I would have groin kicked him so hard, his onions would have travelled up to his ear lobes. I hope that dog makes it.

mummummum
August 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Just heard an update on Cyrus. He is now responding to his name. The THS still does not know the extent of brain/organ damage.

What good news !!!!!! Hallelujah to that !

I personally think if I had seen this jerk, I would have groin kicked him so hard, his onions would have travelled up to his ear lobes. I hope that dog makes it.

And a HALLELUJAH to that ! Can I get an AMEN ?

want4rain
August 7th, 2007, 11:27 PM
What good news !!!!!! Hallelujah to that !

And a HALLELUJAH to that ! Can I get an AMEN ?

you can say that again MumX3

-ashley

chico2
August 8th, 2007, 08:13 AM
That's great news :pray: Cyrus will recover completely:pray:

krdahmer
August 8th, 2007, 08:14 AM

My sentiments exactly!!! WOO :highfive:

And way to go Cyrus... what a fighter!:lovestruck: :pray: