Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help protect the kids from getting knocked over!

Pepsi'smom
August 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
Hey all. Im new to this forum. I have a 4 mth old female chocolate lab named Pepsi. If anyone could help with some advice it would be greatly appreciated. We are working a lot with pepsi on the leash with "heel". she can sit and stay very well. However when strangers (ESPECIALLY KIDS) walk up to her she goes nuts lunging at the end of her leash, and what concerns me the most is that she jumps on kids, im afraid of her knocking them over. Its so difficult to ask people to stay away from a cute puppy. but from a trainer's point of view, how can i get her to focus on me when strangers approach her without causing a scene? please help!:fingerscr :) :dog:

Winston
August 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Pepsismom! Welcome to the forum! I also have a big goofy Choc Lab (Winston) he is 7 years old now..I got him from someone who was going to give him up to the SPCA at 8 weeks old! I love him to pieces!! However, the best money I ever spent was on obediance training! Not trying to sell anyone on the idea but it was worth every penny! They learn socializing skills too! they get a bit of play time with all the other pups and it is great! Winston did not calm down until he was 3 1/2!! and even now I can get him excited and goofy in a second! Sounds like you are going to have some fun with this little furbaby but well worth it !

The biggest thing was to learn to kind of growl or make a noise as a way to get your dogs attention ...then if he doesnt respond you give him a sort of pop or tug (gently) on the leash and bring him back to your left side in a sit! always have a reward ready! With Labs I find they are food motivated until they learn what you need them to learn!

Best of luck with Pepsi!~

Cindy

kiara
August 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM
I agree with Winston, money well spent for obedience classes. I have 3 friends who all have big dogs and they all jump on people and pull on their leash. I am too polite to say anything, but I am thinking why they don't get their dogs trained? You can really see a difference between trained and untrained!

Winston
August 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
OMG! I would die if my guy succeeded at jumping on someone! They would fall over! He is 110lbs!! when he was between 3-6 months he tried jumping on everything BUT a little correction goes along way! Your dog will get it! just consistancy and patience! :thumbs up

My dog was so dominant that part of his obediance exercise (mind you at home!) was to hold him down every day until he submits! I know it sounds nuts but I was definately not anywhere near the ALPHA in the pack and he knew it! Things are much different now! :laughing:

Cindy

mummummum
August 1st, 2007, 08:43 PM
Absolutely agree on the obedience training ~ it's critical. And it's easy to think it's something you can do yourself ~ but honestly, going to a professional class will be the best $$$ spent and the biggest bang for your buck.

Until you can get there though, your best tool is to stop the behaviour before it starts. Is a collar your best bet or would a body harness or a nose halter (like a Newtrix or Gentle Leader) work better in your circumstances. Do you have some people you can recruit to help you practice your training ? Are there neighbourhood children who see Pepsi on a regular basis that you can talk to about what you are trying to do (with their parents there or at least spoken to of course)?

My suggestion: If Pepsi has learned his "sit", then that is what he should be doing when the neighbourhood children approach. If he so much as moves a muscle to bolt out of position, you do an abrupt heel turn with him on a short lead and have him heel, walking away, paying attention to you at all times and have the children also walk away in the opposite direction. Short lead walk about 5 paces steps, (no turning around Pepsi !) then turn back towards the children and have them turn again, walking towards you. Have Pepsi sit and try again until he is able to maintain a sit the entire time the children are approaching and when they arrive. Now he needs to learn a command like "gentle" so that he can differentiate between exuberant children and exuberant adults (with whom it might be okay for him to to be a little more playful and rough-house). With "gentle", I taught Bridie and Ceili to lie down and with Bridie in particular, to approach on her belly. You may not need that command though.