Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bailey coughing

chico2
August 1st, 2007, 01:15 PM
Since Bailey(Cocker) came back from beeing in a kennel for a week she's been coughing,sometimes so I think she's choking:cry:
If she was mine she would be at the vet today,but she's not,how long should I wait before mentioning it to the owner,maybe she has not noticed???
Don't want to be pushy,but I don't want Bailey to be sick...it's been 3 days now.
I noticed she is taking Sentinel,saw a package on the table..

bendyfoot
August 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM
Does Bailey get a bordatella (kennel cough) vaccine?

Winston
August 1st, 2007, 01:32 PM
Sounds like Kennell Cough to me! I have heard that you can still get it even if you receive the vaccination?? but not 10% sure about that!

Chico it is so hard when they are not your dog to help eh?

Cindy

hazelrunpack
August 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Oh, yes...they soooo can get kennel cough, even if they've been vaccinated. Ours have all been vaccinated but they still pick up an occasional case--usually from a stay at the vet. One will get it there and bring it home to the others and within 48 hours, they're all hacking...:eek: sigh

I guess KC is like a common cold--many different varieties and the vaccine only takes care of maybe 4 of those. :frustrated: Ah, well...

Is Bailey getting worse from day to day, Chico? If she's still coughing after 3 days, she should probably be seen by a vet. Especially if she's getting worse. Poor dear. Kennel cough can be nasty.

Are they home when you bring Bailey back from her walk? If she's coughing frequently enough, and coughs when you're 'handing her off', so to speak, maybe just mention it then...? Or do they get miffed if you give them 'Bailey advice'? Frankly, I think Bailey is so lucky to have an :angel: like you to keep tabs on her, Chico!

chico2
August 1st, 2007, 03:40 PM
No,I hardly ever see or talk to the owner,only the few times when something is wrong,like when Bailey ate 3 POUNDS of choclate.
I know she was vaccinated just before the stint in the kennel..
If nothing happens I guess I'll have to give the owner a call...I don't see her,I have a key to go and get Bailey and when we get back there is nobody home.
This is not serious is it??
Her teeth are also awful,lots of tartar,even a huge cavity in one of her molars,but one thing at the time and her eyes always have gucky stuff..
I know she was at the vet before the family went away...
I am just stupid for getting so attached..

krdahmer
August 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Not stupid Chico... just big hearted:grouphug: :goodvibes: , I'm the same way, sometimes I get so attached to other people's pets I cry more than they do when something bad happens or they pass.

DO what you think you should, I have never had dogs so I'm not sure what that would be.

Frenchy
August 1st, 2007, 09:45 PM
Aww Chico2, always worrying about other's people pets, it would be so easy for you if they just took care of their dogs properly. :sad: Bailey would have to get the Bortedella shots at least 2 weeks before she went to the kennel. And like Hazel said , it's not 100% effective. It's just like cold for humans. It usually goes away by its own, but sometimes dogs need antibiotics to get red of it. You can give her 1-2 spoons of honey to soathe her throat in the mean time. :grouphug: